• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Cleaning tips?

Clean from top to bottom, that way you only have to do it once. Because if you don't, you'll just get everything all dirty again. Just think about how awesome it's going to be having a super clean room when you're done. Dust. Wash. Sweep. Mop.

When we have weekly room inspections, our room needs to be spotless. You'd be surprised at how clean it can get.

I usually watch room organization videos or videos on minimalism or the konmari method. Those get me motivated every time!

Put on a podcast and take action.
Also just finished cleaning my whole apartment, washed and cleaned both cat litter boxes, took out all the trash, did the dishes, vacuumed all the rooms, washed all the floors, and yesterday I did all the laundry, all my clothes, and bedding.
It's a great feeling when it's all done and clean.

Why were this in the "what's new" part of the forum? What the hell, well guess the forum just got me to resurrect this ugh.

Last edited:
listening to music really helps! and start small, in one corner, and work your way out or you'll get overwhelmed 💦 (imo)

I have a hard time cleaning my room, I don't even clean the house. I'm too lazy to pick up after myself also.

One thing I do is physically write out a to do list with small tasks on them. I like making lists cause I can check it and cross it out once I'm done, it also keeps my mind organized. I'm always constantly checking the list to make sure I cross every thing out.

Each piece of furniture contains a few tasks that I have to eventually do. Example, my desk. My desk has the tasks of cleaning (throwing away trash, decluttering) then another task is organizing. This is putting things in functional, readily available and easy access places, depending how often I use them. Same can be applied to most every piece of furniture, my TV stand and dressers.

I always start small then attempt to build up to the big things. My first small task to get me in the 'headspace' or focus mode to clean is putting away the clothes on my chair. I have this chair I pile all the clean clothes on, cause, again, I'm lazy. I fold and hang up all the clothes on the chair then I'm on to my next task. I keep doing small things, usually decluttering and organizing one specific furniture piece at a time. I do this method I got off of tumblr, they called it the junebug method. It was a post for people with ADHD but I find it really helps me. Basically you only clean one thing at a time. You imagine yourself attached to that one thing and don't move on until it's done. My problem is that I see my whole room as a hassle, which is overwhelming, and I get very easily distracted if I'm cleaning my entire room at once. I've actually been able to clean better while 'junebugging' to a piece of furniture.

Along with that, I have to play very upbeat music, all my other rock/alternative music just doesn't cut it for me. I can't focus in silence.

I don't think that I have good cleaning 'skills' because I always start cleaning and then get distracted, only returning to it a few hours later. Nevertheless, I've found that cleaning top to bottom is the best, especially since surfaces in my place get quite dusty (live next to a busy street in a metropolitan city!). As such, I like using microfibre cloths to wipe down surfaces. Also, music with noise-cancelling headphones makes cleaning seem like a breeze :)

i have a super hard time getting started on cleaning, but once i actually start doing it, it goes by super fast and it's not as hard as i always make it out to be. and also, my room is a lot cleaner and i feel like.. more productive? more organized? i like living in my room. i guess looking at a clean room and living in it is honestly enough inspiration for me to start. so generally speaking i just think of how much easier my life would be if i just cleaned my mf room. i love to put on music while i clean and make little piles just for organization! and as the commenter before me, i like to wipe down surfaces, too. i like to start with clothes since those are the biggest culprits in making my room really messy and it's just a hassle trying to rummage through a huge pile to find a specific piece and i never end up finding it anyways

Back