Celebrating Diversity: New Horizons Character Designing Event

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations to all the winners. I’ve been stalking this thread and reading through everyone’s posts. I think it’s great how everyone feels so comfortable with themselves and hopefully reading some of these entries will help others, as well.

Congrats @deanapants, @Valzed, @xara, @jadetine, @Kattea! You look amazing!

A huge congrats to everyone who shared your story as well! Whether you made it onto the banner or not, that took courage and every story may have reached someone, helped them learn something or helped them feel more comfortable with themselves. Each and every one of you deserves to be celebrated!

Oh my goodness! What a wonderful surprise to see this morning! I never expected to see my entry in the banner. Thank you to everyone who gave my entry a "like". It means so much to me. Congrats to my banner mates - @deanapants, @xara, @Kattea & @jadetine! I'm honored to be in the banner with you all. Congrats to all the winners!

This event was amazing! All of the entries were incredible! I truly enjoyed learning more about my fellow TBTers & what issues are important to them. I've learned a lot about all the different groups that were represented here. Some of your stories were uplifting and heartwarming. Some made my heart hurt for the struggles you have had to face. I know it's not always easy to share what we've been through in our lives but by doing so we raise awareness and hopefully inspire people to get more involved. Thank you all for sharing and for educating us. You have all been so brave by sharing what you've been through and what's important to you. Each one of you in an inspiration.

(If anyone ever needs an ear to vent to, a shoulder to lean on or just someone to chat with please feel free to PM me. I'm never too busy to listen.)

My character is representing a small community that seems to go unnoticed or picked on for no reason. My character is representing Blasians also known as Afro Asians. What is a Blasian/Afro Asian? It is a person of black/African descent who also has Asian ancestry and decent. We do exist. We are valid. We are "dirty" we will not turn the water "dirty" because of our skin. The fact my great grandma married a black man and my Japanese family doesn't even want to associate with us because of this fact is awful. My great grandma has been dead for 30 years and we still get hate. We battle black hate and Asian hate and we feel we don't know where we belong and it should not be this way. We can wear Kimonos and Zoris and Zen hair pins and have curly hair and dark skin and still be Japanese as well. We aren't aliens. We aren't mistakes. We can be black and Asian. We shouldn't be told to speak English just because we're black and and shouldn't be told our hair shouldn't be curly just because we're Asian. We are valid and we are beautiful. Sorry for the rant.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I'm Neurodivergent and I have Autism and ADHD and it makes me act younger than I am and I tend to be into more immature things then I should be. That's why I chose to make my character look "babyish" this is who I am.

😳 33 likes? Okay, this means a lot. I like the support..

Most of these avatars were amazing and well-thought :giggle: I certainly don't envy one bit of the admins work, having to choose ones and discard others! It must had to be hard!
My favourite is the native american one. Not only it's awesome as a whole, but also something you don't see around much. In fact, I don't think I've ever found anyone cosplaying it. And in all my 8 years playing NL, I met a lot of players...

I don't know why, but it feels a little awkward to post in this thread a couple of days after the event has ended. The thing I've been working on is finally finished! I present to you: All 87 people who participated in this event are present all in one image! I hope you like it! The file size is so huge that not even imgur will allow me to upload it, so I took a screenshot instead.

TBT Celebrating Diversity 2021.PNG

I don't know why, but it feels a little awkward to post in this thread a couple of days after the event has ended. The thing I've been working on is finally finished! I present to you: All 87 people who participated in this event are present all in one image! I hope you like it! The file size is so huge that not even imgur will allow me to upload it, so I took a screenshot instead.

View attachment 382991

Wow! That looks fantastic! I was wondering what it was that you were working on! 🤩😲. I can’t imagine how long that took you. Excellent job! That is seriously really cool!

View attachment 382991

OH this is what you were working on!!! 😭 this is so cool, i love it! <3

View attachment 382991
Quite a roster, so cool to see everyone together, nice work. :)

View attachment 382991
That roster is as big as smash ultimate's 😲
For real though, it's nice seeing everyone together like this! At first I didn't want to participate because you know, racism because I'm black, but after seeing other people post, I decided to try and I actually got way more attention than I thought lol. So thanks for this chance to show who I am without feeling embarrassed!
Also isn't there supposed to be a banner with the top 2 most voted overall?

View attachment 382991
This is so lovely!! It's so nice to see everyone all together and really shows off what a diverse bunch we are here! Thanks for putting this together for us all 💕

View attachment 382991
I bet that took quite a bit of time, but you made it look amazing! Looks like an official Nintendo poster of some sort that you could buy.

@Koopadude100 lol that's what I immediately thought of to. Like the trailer where they state 'Everyone is here!'

I wasn't able to submit an entry, but I'm so happy I was able to read all the posts here. There is so much I learnt from the experiences and posts and I'm thankful that all of you submitted your story. Everyone deserves to live their life to its fullest and I hope all of you, including your family and friends, are able to achieve happiness. Thanks for being brave and sharing.

Also thanks to Shellzilla for doing that image, it's so wonderful to see the TBT "Everyone is here" moment.

Thank you all for the lovely support! ☺ I didn't expect to get some replies, so I'll do my best to reply back!
Wow! That looks fantastic! I was wondering what it was that you were working on! 🤩😲. I can’t imagine how long that took you. Excellent job! That is seriously really cool!
Thank you very much! 💙 Let me tell you, it was an absolute pain getting this together not because of the sheer amount of members, but because of how painfully slow my laptop is even when doing the simplest of tasks such as just moving around the images. I started around 26th of June when this idea came into my head, so it's been quite a while! You're all lovely people and I wouldn't be doing this in the first place if I didn't care at all.
OH this is what you were working on!!! 😭 this is so cool, i love it! <3
That is correct! I tried to keep the details vague as possible, but at the same time letting people know I was working on something special. Thank you for the compliment, I appreciate it! 💙
Quite a roster, so cool to see everyone together, nice work. :)
Thanks for the reply. ☺ It's awesome seeing so many people with different backgrounds all in one picture.
That roster is as big as smash ultimate's 😲
For real though, it's nice seeing everyone together like this! At first I didn't want to participate because you know, racism because I'm black, but after seeing other people post, I decided to try and I actually got way more attention than I thought lol. So thanks for this chance to show who I am without feeling embarrassed!
Also isn't there supposed to be a banner with the top 2 most voted overall?
87 people participated so we were short by just one character if you count all the DLC characters (including the last one that has yet to be announced) in Smash Ultimate. However, we did beat out the base roster of 76 characters, so it's a plus at least!

About the banner, I think there were two people tied for the same amount of reactions so both of them were included if I recall correctly.

I just want to say once again great going for taking the courage to represent who you are. It's really cool knowing a person's race even though we're all typing behind a screen on this forum. Consider the image I made for your character (along with many others!) being immortalized on the internet showing that we respect one another, regardless of who we are. 💙💜💚These colourful hearts represent the TBTWC teams. ☺
This is so lovely!! It's so nice to see everyone all together and really shows off what a diverse bunch we are here! Thanks for putting this together for us all 💕
Thank you very much! 💙 It's an awesome thing to see here. I had to double check multiple times to make sure I didn't miss anyone (I really hope I didn't). But yeah, where else would you see a black person taking the courage to represent themselves (Koopadude100), an awesome moderator from the UK (Vrisnem), a loving mother representing their child who has Spina Bifida (Foreverfox), a senior adapting to technology (Bekaa), showing support for indigenous people of Canada (both you and Equity), a Filipino petrolhead (me, Shellzilla), and a meme queen (Mistreil) all in the same image? Nowhere else, that's for sure. The Avengers got nothing on this!
I bet that took quite a bit of time, but you made it look amazing! Looks like an official Nintendo poster of some sort that you could buy.

@Koopadude100 lol that's what I immediately thought of to. Like the trailer where they state 'Everyone is here!'
Indeed, it did take a lot of time to do this! My laptop played a huge role in taking up my time in the past few days. Consider the image I made as a memento for the event! :)
Post automatically merged:

I wasn't able to submit an entry, but I'm so happy I was able to read all the posts here. There is so much I learnt from the experiences and posts and I'm thankful that all of you submitted your story. Everyone deserves to live their life to its fullest and I hope all of you, including your family and friends, are able to achieve happiness. Thanks for being brave and sharing.

Also thanks to Shellzilla for doing that image, it's so wonderful to see the TBT "Everyone is here" moment.
Aww, thank you! It really does feel like Smash Bros.! ☺

View attachment 382991
That is absolutely amazing!! I wish that I could print it off and have everyone sign
it 🥺💜 Such a lovely thing for you to do. A perfect end to an amazing event !! 💙 🦋 💙

View attachment 382991
You did an amazing job. Thank you so much for making this! 💜

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back