• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Bowie's Art Thread V2 ★ Digital Paintings, GFX, 3D Renders, Tutorials

2us8z6u.gif

If Toy Bonnie had a jump scare in his starting position, this is probably what it would look like.

Also, I experimented with animating fingers this time. It's surprisingly hard to tell that I did anything with them.

125nerm.gif

If Toy Chica never lost her beak (or her eyes), her jump scare may have looked something like this (or, you know, something completely different and much better).

I haven't decided when I'm going to stop animating Five Nights at Freddy's characters yet.

Your animation is actually very good. You're doing well with having the head lead the animation, with the wrist coming close in seond to follow through with your flow. I like the small tweaks to your dubsheet to break the curves and cause movement that would be a second thought and appear to have the models not look so stiff. Very good work. The rest of your stuff could use more detail and attention orientation, but from what it looks like, you're solidly animating at this juncture which is what I found to be the most difficult part of 3D.

Your animation is actually very good. You're doing well with having the head lead the animation, with the wrist coming close in seond to follow through with your flow. I like the small tweaks to your dubsheet to break the curves and cause movement that would be a second thought and appear to have the models not look so stiff. Very good work. The rest of your stuff could use more detail and attention orientation, but from what it looks like, you're solidly animating at this juncture which is what I found to be the most difficult part of 3D.

Wow, thanks! It means a lot, coming from someone as talented as you in the 3D world. I'm a little too nervous to get started with modelling at the moment, 'cause I think (well, know) I'm awful at it, but at least I'm doing well in the animation side of it. A lot of the models I'm using have already been rigged (which is why I haven't been doing much rigging experiments lately), so I've had some time to experiment with actual animation, instead of just getting a model ready for animation. Again, thanks!

THE PRINCESS PEACH ONE YES THANK YOU

Please pray for her.

Wow, thanks! It means a lot, coming from someone as talented as you in the 3D world. I'm a little too nervous to get started with modelling at the moment, 'cause I think (well, know) I'm awful at it, but at least I'm doing well in the animation side of it. A lot of the models I'm using have already been rigged (which is why I haven't been doing much rigging experiments lately), so I've had some time to experiment with actual animation, instead of just getting a model ready for animation. Again, thanks!

Please pray for her.

There's nothing wrong with using pre-rigged models. Unless you model something yourself you're going to have an incredibly hard time making FK/IK handles for something you're not 100% sure on how it's supposed to work. Just keep at it.

this is so amusing to watch I swear xD
keep up, I'm gonna need to learn how to 3D for modeling anyways..
help meehhh ;_;

A8oJLVY.gif

Decided to experiment with Blender's Cycles engine today. I have no idea where the piano model came from, but isn't it neat?

Njd51fA.gif

Don't ask why some frames from my last animation appear at the start, 'cause I don't know what caused that.

Anyway, it's about time I talked a little bit about how I'm feeling about my progress and all that stuff. I'm feeling more confident with my ability to animate and stuff, but I still feel like there's a lack of creative space. I can't honestly say that, if an idea popped into my head, I could make it into a reality. I don't really know what else there is to learn, for that. I don't know where to go from here, which is fairly obvious to anyone who sees my most recent creations. They're very random, and experimental. While there's nothing wrong with that, where do I go from here?

Z2m6pIp.gif

So, I found a model of Psyduck from Pok?mon Channel (one of my favourite Pok?mon games), and I couldn't help myself but to try and rig it. I'd say it was a success, wouldn't you?

Since I'm experimenting with Cycles now, I'm having to learn new ways of texturing models. Most of the models I've used already had a material on them, so if I switched to the material view in Blender, they'd be textured already. If they didn't, they'd have a UV map I could apply. However, the Psyduck model I used had multiple different textures, and they were individual image files. I don't have a clue how to UV map yet, and I wasn't sure how I could apply each texture and make them show up in the right spots, so I ended up having Psyduck's skin texture cover the entire model. That will have to do for now.

Z2m6pIp.gif

So, I found a model of Psyduck from Pok?mon Channel (one of my favourite Pok?mon games), and I couldn't help myself but to try and rig it. I'd say it was a success, wouldn't you?

Since I'm experimenting with Cycles now, I'm having to learn new ways of texturing models. Most of the models I've used already had a material on them, so if I switched to the material view in Blender, they'd be textured already. If they didn't, they'd have a UV map I could apply. However, the Psyduck model I used had multiple different textures, and they were individual image files. I don't have a clue how to UV map yet, and I wasn't sure how I could apply each texture and make them show up in the right spots, so I ended up having Psyduck's skin texture cover the entire model. That will have to do for now.

Oh god UVING. Nightmare mode. So UVING is basically laying out all your textures on a flat 2d 1x1 box. See below:

rzOZ1.jpg

You'll want to planar map all your object UV's into flat versions. From there you just texture the flat image and it wraps the object when you apply it in the scene. I'd stay away from pre-made textures and start learning how to make your own.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/UV_Map_Basics

The rigging is good though. Try a wrist and elbow joint and use an IK handle up to the shoulder for best results.
Njd51fA.gif

Don't ask why some frames from my last animation appear at the start, 'cause I don't know what caused that.

Anyway, it's about time I talked a little bit about how I'm feeling about my progress and all that stuff. I'm feeling more confident with my ability to animate and stuff, but I still feel like there's a lack of creative space. I can't honestly say that, if an idea popped into my head, I could make it into a reality. I don't really know what else there is to learn, for that. I don't know where to go from here, which is fairly obvious to anyone who sees my most recent creations. They're very random, and experimental. While there's nothing wrong with that, where do I go from here?

Looks like you keyed a timeline frame from your old animation by accident. Not a big deal. I'd edit the gif and avoid the timeline if you could.

What next you say? Shading and lighting son! Even as an animator you have to know the basics of lighting a scene!

Last edited:
Oh god UVING. Nightmare mode. So UVING is basically laying out all your textures on a flat 2d 1x1 box. See below:

rzOZ1.jpg

You'll want to planar map all your object UV's into flat versions. From there you just texture the flat image and it wraps the object when you apply it in the scene. I'd stay away from pre-made textures and start learning how to make your own.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/UV_Map_Basics

The rigging is good though. Try a wrist and elbow joint and use an IK handle up to the shoulder for best results.

Looks like you keyed a timeline frame from your old animation by accident. Not a big deal. I'd edit the gif and avoid the timeline if you could.

What next you say? Shading and lighting son! Even as an animator you have to know the basics of lighting a scene!

Oh, Jesus Christ. UV mapping is ridiculously intimidating.

Well, actually, the scene was supposed to look that dark. I was planning to add little street lamps, to make it look more like a park, but I couldn't find a good street lamp model, so I kinda just settled. The transition in lighting is supposed to be a car driving by from beyond the camera's view, though. I was trying to focus more on the dog than the environment, to be honest.

Oh, Jesus Christ. UV mapping is ridiculously intimidating.

Well, actually, the scene was supposed to look that dark. I was planning to add little street lamps, to make it look more like a park, but I couldn't find a good street lamp model, so I kinda just settled. The transition in lighting is supposed to be a car driving by from beyond the camera's view, though. I was trying to focus more on the dog than the environment, to be honest.

It's really not that intimidating!

Also when I talk about lighting, I'm not saying any of your scenes in particular need it right now. I mean it's a handy skill to have in general.

The same goes for modeling. You really should consider beginning to learn it. I'd offer to tutor you, but blender is so far out of my comfort zone, it's in another country :)

Back