• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Bobbing for apples?

Snowesque

Bells
Orange Hybrid Hyacinth
Orange Hybrid Rose
Golden Watering Can
White Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
White Rose
Red Rose
Have you ever gone bobbing for apples? If you've not, what are your feelings on it?

I think I've only a couple times. Thinking about it more, it grosses me out a bit haha. I probably wouldn't now ever.

I’ve never done it before but I’ve always questioned the sanity of such a game. It sort of feels disgusting putting your face in a bucket full of water to grab an apple using your teeth right after other people have done it. It’s cute to see in cartoons and movies and tv shows but in real life bobbing for apples is just uncomfortable to think about.

Last edited:
I've done it once. It just felt like dunking your head in water. It's not particularly fun or anything.

Sanitation concerns aside, I probably wouldn't do it again simply because I don't like getting wet.

I have seen other people do it but have never done it myself. If given the chance again now, I don't think I would try it either. It doesn't seem very fun or sanitary either like the previous users have said.

I haven’t done it and I definitely wouldn’t be able to do it given my circumstances. I have a dental implants (a full one) and this has bad idea written all over it.

Once a long time ago. I must have been 5 or younger. It was at my cousin's bday party. She had an October birthday.
I never heard of people doing it now though. Probably because of bugs and disease and I don't think many people have the interest in trying. Water goes everywhere.

The thought of play this game nowadays is just nasty. I’m not a germaphobe or constantly afraid of getting sick and I admit I have eaten food that I’ve dropped off the floor after picking it up but something about bobbing for apples seems disgusting. I get that it was created long ago before we had electricity and movies and radios and people had to do something to keep from getting bored but this is just too much. There was this game where rich people would pull on a mummy’s wrappings and try to see who could get the largest piece and somehow that seems less disturbing than bobbing for apples.

I did it as a child at a friends Halloween party about 30 years ago and I remember enjoying it. I wouldn't do it now though. 😂

I wouldn't dare do that, for obvious reasons below:

Off topic: The URL in this video has the word "Dawn" in it, no joke...

I've never done it before and definitely don't plan to. I personally don't like the idea for various reasons.

I did as a kid and if I recall, I was always going first due to my weak health. I don't remember ever playing the game as an adult, nor would I play again, not even if I was offered the first go.

Did it once as a kid, but definitely looking back at it, the water must have gotten gross with so many kids at the party. Also, it was surprisingly hard to get good grip on a floating apple! It might be interesting to do a go at it yourself in your own little bucket, but i don't think I'd ever do it publicly again for sanitary reasons.

Unrelated, I saw a cute cat video on some social media feed that I like to call bobbing for apples for cats. It was floating small paper sample cups on a baking sheet with treats in them that bounced around and we're hard to grab much like bobbing for apples for humans.

I saw a related game that people play which is hanging apples up and each player has to jump up and take bites out of their apple and first player to eat the whole thing wins. Yeah I don’t like the idea of that game either. It seems like a serious choking hazard given you need to keep taking bites out of an apple while jumping constantly and need to eat it quickly all at the same time. Why would anyone think that’s a good idea?! It’s more sanitary yes but now you have something that could end up being fatal.

I've never liked the idea of bobbing for apples and I don't think an opportunity has ever come up.. But wow I never even thought about the hygiene aspect of it!! Now I hate the idea even more 😝

Back