• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Bees & Furniture in Trees

travis

Bells
Hello! I'm a longtime fan of the Animal Crossing series, but pretty new to New Leaf.

I know that every day, 5 random trees will have bees that come out when you shake them, and 2 random trees will have a random piece of furniture hiding in them. I've also noticed just anecdotally that the bees and furniture never seem to appear in fruit-bearing trees, even if there isn't currently fruit growing on the trees.

It takes a long time for me to walk around my entire village and shake every tree to look for all of the bees and furniture, so here's what I'm wondering. Could I chop down all of my non-fruit trees except for 7-10 of them? My idea is that if I plant all of these special trees close to each other in a specific area, I can quickly find all of the bees and furniture every day without searching through my entire village for them. I'd still keep plenty of trees in my town, but the remaining trees would all be fruit-bearing trees that don't attract bees or furniture and allow me to maximize my earnings potential.

Does anyone know if this would actually work? Has anyone tried it before, or do you foresee any potential problems? I don't want to chop down all of those trees if it's not going to work the way I anticipate and/or have any unexpected consequences. I appreciate whatever insights you have to offer! :)

Last edited:
That's actually a smart idea! You should try it and let me know how it goes!

I would say the only issue that would arise is less trees for the perfect town status... But then again, it's easier to plant fruit trees. Plus more fruit to sell to Reese!

I mean, I kinda don't see a point in doing that. In NL, it's easier to get bells by fishing/catching beetles on the island at night rather than selling fruit. Or you can sell turnips.

Sure, you can do that I guess? I don't usually shake any trees since there are easier ways to make bells and get furniture.

If the bees bother you, you can get some medicine from an Uchi villager for free and use it when you're done finding all the bee nests!

The only potential problem is that most of the trees could have nothing in them and you wouldn't get any furniture / bees, but you can always plant more trees if this happens.

The answer is yes. I have no more than 10 cedar trees in my town, and I get exactly 1 coin, 1 hive, and 2 items every day. I also have them located in the same area (down the sides and across the back of my Roost Cafe).

I set them up this way for precisely the same reason you're seeking. Plus, my town still reached perfect town status, and has been there for close to a month.

Last edited:
The answer is yes. I have no more than 10 cedar trees in my town, and I get exactly 1 coin, 1 hive, and 2 items every day. I also have them located in the same area (down the sides and across the back of my Roost Cafe).

I set them up this way for precisely the same reason you're seeking. Plus, my town still reached perfect town status, and has been there for close to a month.

Only 1 beehive? So this implies that if you reduce the number of available trees you have, you won't necessarily still have 5 bees you can catch every day? (An easy 15,000 bells IMO.) On the other hand, it seems like you will be guaranteed 2 pieces of furniture as long as you have the available trees, which can be pretty helpful when trying to build your catalog. Hmm...

Another helpful bee trick, if you're looking to avoid them - if you open your gates before shaking trees, you can still get coins and items but beehives won't fall out of them.

Another helpful bee trick, if you're looking to avoid them - if you open your gates before shaking trees, you can still get coins and items but beehives won't fall out of them.

I'm not trying to avoid the bees, I want to catch them. That is a good tip though. :)

Only 1 beehive? So this implies that if you reduce the number of available trees you have, you won't necessarily still have 5 bees you can catch every day? (An easy 15,000 bells IMO.) On the other hand, it seems like you will be guaranteed 2 pieces of furniture as long as you have the available trees, which can be pretty helpful when trying to build your catalog. Hmm...

Yes, just 1 beehive, which I could get away with zero hives, considering I have over 6 million in the bank thanks to a solid stalk market investment. Bells are an afterthought at this point for me, as I have my house paid off, and nothing else significant for which to spend them.

I am considering chopping down 1 cedar tree at a time to see if I can rid myself of the pesky hives all together. I always end up getting stung, anyhow. That trick of opening the gates before shaking is a great idea, but that's too much effort (even though my Roost is REALLY close to the station).

Back