• LIVE A gaming event as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 is currently being livestreamed on TBT's Twitch channel here -- spectators who chat on Discord can earn points too!

Battle of the OS's

What OS do you use?

• Windows 7

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • Windows Vista

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Windows XP and below

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Macintosh

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Linux

• Other (Please state)

• Total voters
Top of the line Mac Pc = ?16,000 from what I heard.

I despise Macs as much as the next guy but really? ?16,000? *facepalm* If you stick enough expensive components into something, it will be expensive. All of the components that the ?16,000 Mac Pro has you can just as easily put into a computer running Windows.

Last edited:
I despise Macs as much as the next guy but really? ?16,000? *facepalm* If you stick enough expensive components into something, it will be expensive. All of the components that the ?16,000 Mac Pro has you can just as easily put into a computer running Windows.

Ikr?
But tbh my friend makes excellent computers for only ?1000 so I lol'd
I wish I could make an OS. I'd base the look off the Sprite V2 OS from Metal Gear Solid 2

I've only ever used Windows. Macs are too expensive, and I've heard that Linux is pretty awful.

Who told you that Linux was awful? They seriously don't know what htey are talking about.
Linux is a powerful, opensource OS. It is very lightweight, installation is very fast, takes about a hour to download the .ISO and maybe 30 minutes to mount it on a 4GB CD. You can also boot it from a USB which I really don't suggest because what happens when your USB is bricked? Your pretty darn screwed if you don't have another laptop near you or you can't get to another one. You could dualboot which i suggest for newcomers.

@Aeri
Why don't you start off with Linux? It is very simple to make a OS in Linux, look up some tutorials and you'll start off becoming a great coder. You may need to know some basic C++ skills but that isn't a hassle. Just look up a eBook and yeah. You could also skin a theme and 'pretend' it's your own OS. Skins in Linux are customizable to like everything. If you are a skinner you should start off in Ubuntu.

also do-able on windows, just saiyan

Linux is more powerful to run themes, you could use RainMeter on Windows though and kind of get the feel of Ubuntu. It really isn't the same. Also, Windows somethings you can't customize. While Linux being a opensource, anything is customizeable.

Who told you that Linux was awful? They seriously don't know what htey are talking about.
Linux is a powerful, opensource OS. It is very lightweight, installation is very fast, takes about a hour to download the .ISO and maybe 30 minutes to mount it on a 4GB CD. You can also boot it from a USB which I really don't suggest because what happens when your USB is bricked? Your pretty darn screwed if you don't have another laptop near you or you can't get to another one. You could dualboot which i suggest for newcomers.

You act as if these are the only possible metrics one could use to assess an operating system's worth.

Yes, really. I do not doubt your abilities and knowledge with computers, but Linux is definitely not for everyone.

I understand that Linux isn't for everyone. Actually, Linux is by far a most technical OS. But what i don't understand is that people who think it is a horrible OS and it really isn't. It is more of a opensource and you mostly control it. Some people are judgemental and don't understand.
Lets say you dualboot or bootcamp Linux, I would most likely start off with Ubuntu or Linux Mint and progress. Mostly Ubuntu because most of the stuff you'll be using is in CMD (also known as Terminal).

I really don't mean to act like a know it all, but I like to put facts in my statements.

I understand that Linux isn't for everyone. Actually, Linux is by far a most technical OS. But what i don't understand is that people who think it is a horrible OS and it really isn't. It is more of a opensource and you mostly control it. Some people are judgemental and don't understand.
Lets say you dualboot or bootcamp Linux, I would most likely start off with Ubuntu or Linux Mint and progress. Mostly Ubuntu because most of the stuff you'll be using is in CMD (also known as Terminal).

I really don't mean to act like a know it all, but I like to put facts in my statements.

Yeah, in retrospect what he (she?) said was, probably, uninformed. I agree with you on Linux's importance and worth, but I really don't think any of its distributions it will ever have a future as a widely-adopted OS, at least in an open source form.

Yeah, in retrospect what he (she?) said was, probably, uninformed. I agree with you on Linux's importance and worth, but I really don't think any of its distributions it will ever have a future as a widely-adopted OS, at least in an open source form.

Exactly. You are riding the right bus. (If you know what I mean.) Linux will never spread, it's just way to technical. There is a possibility because a lot of our games, computers, electronics, etc., most of them are running linux in some way shape or form. Yeah, if it does become worldwide, no way it will be opensource. Way to many hackers will attack it. Funny thing is, Linux has never been hacked or broken in. Pretty funny, eh?

I use both Mac and Windows. Snow Leopard (upgrading to Lion as soon as it is released) on my Macbook Pro, Windows 7 on my desktop, and Windows Vista on my old HP laptop I plan to destroy when I get the chance. It quit working, so why not.

Just installed Windows 8 Build 7955 on my decent laptop. It sucks that Microsoft will discontinue the .NET on Windows 8 and will be built parically on JAVA and something else. Also, for you people thinking this is a OS, it isn't.

Back