"bad" town maps?

photo (2).jpg
This is my town layout... (Old photo btw I have the police station and cafe now....) But I have lots of rocks and a 'secret' beach its annoying! And I have like no placements for pw's, But I still try my best to make my town look the best it can! because I done to much now to start over!

Last edited:
Lol. Would that be my Critters town? It makes a c-shape. If you are taliking about mine, it is a rather unique shaped map. I guess I chose it because it was so odd.

YES it was Critters. :p

I was surprised when I saw your map, because it would be one that I would immediately click "NEXT" for, but looking around, I LOVE LOVE LOVE how you made it work! I really love how you turned that space within the "C" into a little residential area for your villagers, and to note, your characters in animal costumes are so cute!

When I saw a bunch of lakes on my map, I was brand new and I thought that it was normal, so I never took them into account.

They have gotten in the way a couple of times when it comes to placing PWP's but I'm proud with how my town has turned out and so far I've gotten a lot of compliments! :D

I totally agree with you about the rocks though. They were never a huge deal to me before, but sometimes it's annoying when they're in the way of where I want a PWP or something.

Last edited:
I was looking around the forums about maps and how people found their perfect map and I wonder.

What's the one thing that would ruin a map for you?

I love my map, but mine has a lot of lakes (like 5?) and sometimes it's hard to place PWP's where I want them because of said lakes, so to other people it may be considered a "bad" map. I like it though a part of me wishes I looked at the other options. (I went with the second one right off the bat)

Likewise, has anyone ever went with a "bad" map and worked with it to make it wonderful?

There was this one town (which I won't name) I visited via dream address and the map was absolutely TERRIBLE to my standards. (Their river was all on the lower half of the map and instead of dividing the town into 2 parts horizontally or vertically, it just kinda looped and made a "C" Which is something I could never work with, but this person did a WONDERFUL job of making it work! :D
[/QUOTE

yes oh my god i have so many ponds and my river cuts up my land into narrow sections
and why won't you name the town? i need some inspiration

For me, it's mostly about river/beach placement and access. If there are little inaccessible spots of beach, or thin protrusions of land that I can't do much with, I don't like that map and wouldn't use it. I like the "halves" of the town to be divided pretty equally so nothing will end up feeling "squished" or overcrowded (unless my villagers decide to put down their plots directly next to one another, which is a thing that's been happening for some reason - haven't bothered with plot resetting since it does no harm as long as they're not blocking or destroying anything). I'm happiest with Re-Tail close to the tracks and train station, while others prefer it to be near the beach... it's different for everybody obviously. Wish I could post a screenie of mine but, lol.

yes oh my god i have so many ponds and my river cuts up my land into narrow sections
and why won't you name the town? i need some inspiration

Originally, I didn't name it because I didn't want the owner to be offended, but she came in the thread and guessed I was talking about her town and (Thankfully!) Wasn't offended.

It was Critters, Mayor is Honey Her Dream Address is 4100-3150-6643.

The map would be one I would consider "bad" upon first glance, yet she turned it into something ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!! <3 <3 <3

Last edited:
I never even consider rocks and ponds.
I've always picked one with a good river to land ratio haha, if that makes sense.

i was such a noob and chose the first map i saw, and my layout just sucks haha, all the villagers have congregated towards the southern half of my town, my re-tail is the absolute farthest away it can be from the beach, and i have a private beach :p i really want to reset but maybe some other time

This was my second AC game ever, first being gamecube. I really didn't know what to consider since It was 8 years since I played the game, I just chose the first one that seemed decent, by decent I mean had a river that went straight through. However I HATE where my plaza is, it's in the bottom corner of my whole town which is really inconvenient. Also some villagers just piss me off as far where they move...

I don't think there are actual bad maps, it just depends on your playing style. A map that seems bad at first can be fun to work with since it's more of a challenge to make it look nice (and the final result can be just as good). It also depends on the look you want for your town. If you want a town covered in patterns and PWPs you'll have to be careful with the placement of ponds and rocks, but if you want a more natural town, it doesn't matter as much. Personally, I think that rocks in parts where you'd put paths would be something I wouldn't want but I don't mind most other things.

Also, even a good map can be difficult to work with if you don't plot reset and get a bad placement for your villagers' houses.

My map isn't bad but it's not perfect either and I don't mind. I like the challenge of working with it and it makes my town feel more unique.

Rocks are my nemesis! And I also don't like it when the waterfall points to the sides instead of down. Otherwise I'm fairly ok with things :D But those Rocks! I went to place my house in my new town, found the perfect spot, only problem, two rocks, right there. No matter how much I whined I wasn't allowed to place my house there! So I don't like rocks :p

well my town layout is really bad T__T I really don't like it, mostly because of the damn rocks, and the sort of uneven division of the upper and lower parts of town, and the beaches too asfgsgsgh really wanna reset because of this tbh

How many rocks would you guys say is a lot?

More than 5, but it's the placements that are harder for me, number can fluctuate if they are in good placed :) Like I have one rock, one space from the fence up top, It's awesome when it's the moneyrock! If they were all like that I wouldn't mind having like 10 of them ;) But scattered around all over, I think 5 is as high as I could go

I hate the rock placements in my town, and also to the left I have a really thin bit of grass where no houses or anything to go and it annoys me no end! >.<

I hate the rock placements in my town, and also to the left I have a really thin bit of grass where no houses or anything to go and it annoys me no end! >.<

Oh those thin parts can be annoying! Does it lead to a small part of land? Because if it does you could style it to look like a secret path to a private part of your map perhaps? :p

I feel like I wouldn't be as fussy as I am with town maps if I wasn't so obsessed with it being "unique". To me, the ACNL maps aren't as interesting or as dynamic as they are in Wild World or City Folk where, if you reset enough, you could get a town with rivers that jutted out in two places forming what I would always call an "island" (which is what I would usually look for and was really disappointed to see that the rivers in New Leaf didn't seem to do that) or where the cliffs leading to the lower part of your town would jut straight out of the cliff wall (like I had one in City Folk do). The maps in New Leaf are fine enough I guess, though I do think sometimes they can end up being rather plain looking or take up too much space.
For me, the things that I can't stand having on my map are:
-rivers that either go straight across or make a box shape (particularly where the plaza would be right in the middle of this). First, the river itself takes up wayyy to much space, plus the addition of the plaza usually being right in the middle of the clearing made by the box shaped river takes up even more space. I feel like these towns hardly have any room to put anything at all
-too many ponds of course, though it can be acceptable depending on how they are placed. (in my town, I have three ponds in a diagonal row, but the little spaces in between are really cool looking so I actually am quite fond of it)
-rocks. I will always end up with a rock right where I want to place a pwp or my house.
-plazas right in the middle of the town that take up too much space. depending on the river, this can be acceptable but more often than not, the plaza is just always... there. does anyone else think maybe the plaza is just a bit too big?

Things I often look for are:
-plazas that are out of the way, not taking up too much valuable space
-a unique, sometimes looping river that gives my town a lot of hidden, open spaces
-a river that ends with the waterfall on the south side of my beach (which unfortunately I don't have)
-a starter villager with a house that's not right where I want my house to be
-and a ramp down to the beach that goes straight down, with the two cliff thingies on either side (im bad at explaining)

I don't like when all of the main buildings are spread all over the town. It is easier for me to make my landscaping make sense if the buildings are in groups.Plus, I find towns feel more spacious if the buildings are near each other.

Back