Auctioning Villagers:

In a way. That's why I refer to it as the villager slave trade. But what if I got Lucky, whom I hate, and someone wanted her, and I was broke? I do try to avoid it though.

Because trading pixelated animals is almost as horrid as trading living, breathing, emotional human beings, as if they were a currency.

^ I mean no hostility when I say that, but it's my honest thoughts. As for my opinions of villager trading: If people are willing to buy, why not sell? It gives the people with insane amounts of bells to actually spend it. o;

Edit: Welp, I didn't see this post when I was typing mine out.

Last edited:
Sure you did, Clare. :rolleyes:

Is this like one of those Freudian slips?

- - - Post Merge - - -

I've been playing since gamecube, but the way I've played it has changed completely haha

I found out about perfect town in city folk and tripled my playtime instantly. XD
New leaf is the first one I've gotten into the villager market though and honestly it's almost like a different game. It's fun on it's own just to bid on different villagers and then get to know them. I have a hard time picking dream villagers but I love just having cute ones stay in my town for a while as visitors.

I was shocked when I first found out it was possible though.
It took the level of control I have over my town to unhealthy levels. <3

I laughed at the last part of your post lol. XD

I don't have dreamies, there are waaaay too many villagers to choose from for me.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Because trading pixelated animals is almost as horrid as trading living, breathing, emotional human beings, as if they were a currency.

^ I mean no hostility when I say that, but it's my honest thoughts. As for my opinions of villager trading: If people are willing to buy, why not sell? It gives the people with insane amounts of bells to actually spend it. o;

Edit: Welp, I didn't see this post when I was typing mine out.

I now feel really dumb for even posting this thread lol. XD

It's a good way to make money, and it helps people get their dreamies... I just am a "little" attached to the Animal Crossing series...

Do you mind me asking what you like to do in animal crossing? (Just out of curiosity)

There's sooo many types of players in animal crossing and I think it's one of the best parts of the game.
My cousin bought the game shortly after I did because she thought it looked fun. To me, this was awesome because I figured we'd play together constantly. I soon found out though that she didn't really enjoy a lot of the same stuff. I like a lot more control and customization, where as she's a much more casual player. Well, more of a casual person really >.>;

After realizing that though I noticed that, in my experience, casual players who don't do time travel often or play more than a few hours a day tend to humanize their villagers a little more. Maybe because it's closer to real interaction? Or I could be totally wrong.

Last edited:
Honesty, they are just pixels :/ It's not like they're real animals or anything lol people can do what they want with their pixels, they did pay real money for their game after all didn't they? xD (or got it as a gift) bells aren't real money either pixels for pixels sounds equal doesn't it? :)

I just realized how the whole "making connections" thing in my original post sounded... Oh... this is going to sound so dumb, but I didn't realize that some villagers were worth more than others...
This is just opinions really, we classify them as worth more because of high demand for that villager because many people like them and are looking for them.

Some villagers I really just don't like though or ever want >.<

There are lots of cycle threads as well, so I don't really see what's the problem about buying/selling them when you have a chance of getting them for free lol and if you really want a certain villager you could try the reset method to get them without having to watch a thread or look for the villager anywhere.(though it may take time)
Tbh these are all just opinions you can do whatever you want it's your choice. There's no right or wrong really it's just a game. It's kind of part of the economy too? O:

Sometimes auctions are good though :) It's a way I've gotten villagers I've really wanted before! And when someone does give me a villager for free I always try to give a tip anyways!

Btw this thread is kinda getting a little of topic... If you need to talk about somethings you should do it by VMs or something? o-o

Honesty, they are just pixels :/ It's not like they're real animals or anything lol people can do what they want with their pixels, they did pay real money for their game after all didn't they? xD (or got it as a gift) bells aren't real money either pixels for pixels sounds equal doesn't it? :)

This is just opinions really, we classify them as worth more because of high demand for that villager because many people like them and are looking for them.

Some villagers I really just don't like though or ever want >.<

There are lots of cycle threads as well, so I don't really see what's the problem about buying/selling them when you have a chance of getting them for free lol and if you really want a certain villager you could try the reset method to get them without having to watch a thread or look for the villager anywhere.(though it may take time)
Tbh these are all just opinions you can do whatever you want it's your choice. There's no right or wrong really it's just a game. It's kind of part of the economy too? O:

Sometimes auctions are good though :) It's a way I've gotten villagers I've really wanted before! And when someone does give me a villager for free I always try to give a tip anyways!

Btw this thread is kinda getting a little of topic... If you need to talk about somethings you should do it by VMs or something? o-o

:D I'm glad that people are posting their opinions. :D

And this thread was a teensy bit off topic. :p

Eh, i don't like selling villagers, especially at "extortionist" prices lol. I usually find someone who has been desperately looking for a villager for like forever and give them the villager for free.I understand why peeps do it though, especially those who have just started the game, don't dupe, want to collect items, or desperately need the money. Even now i have a cycling thread were i give away free villagers. I give them away for good reason though, I already have everything in the game and can make tons of bells easily whenever i need to.I do think that trading villager for villager is fine though that way both people get what they want.

Last edited:
I do NOT have the patience for an auction. Either participating or holding it. I don't sell villagers no matter how "valuable" they are. I rather give them away to somebody who's been looking for them :) or if idk anyone looking for them I do first come first serve. I traded away a villager one time for a certain set and that's only because I was desperate for the set lol. I get my bells selling turnips :) and I get that technically they're just "pixels" but I do get attached. I'd like be super upset if Biskit or Mitzi left. Mitzi has been in all my towns and it feels wrong not having her around.

OP, dont feel dumb for posting this topic. Vigorous debate is always good! And that we are all so passionate about this game to bother posting all of our different opinions is good to see. Personally, I have always gone for auctions because I lack the patience for the cycling threads. With a full time job and family to take care of, I cannot devote the time, unfortunately.

OP, dont feel dumb for posting this topic. Vigorous debate is always good! And that we are all so passionate about this game to bother posting all of our different opinions is good to see. Personally, I have always gone for auctions because I lack the patience for the cycling threads. With a full time job and family to take care of, I cannot devote the time, unfortunately.

Oh! That's cool that you still play though! :D

Heh. You're right! :D

- - - Post Merge - - -

I do NOT have the patience for an auction. Either participating or holding it. I don't sell villagers no matter how "valuable" they are. I rather give them away to somebody who's been looking for them :) or if idk anyone looking for them I do first come first serve. I traded away a villager one time for a certain set and that's only because I was desperate for the set lol. I get my bells selling turnips :) and I get that technically they're just "pixels" but I do get attached. I'd like be super upset if Biskit or Mitzi left. Mitzi has been in all my towns and it feels wrong not having her around.

I played the first Animal Crossing from like 2002ish until I got AC:NL in December, I've had so many memories with this game. I had a couple villagers that were more family to me than my own. XD

I sell villagers. I'm not going to weigh in on whether or not it's ethically correct or not, or noble or not in the wake of the cycling community growing by leaps and bounds.

Even though there are so many ways for people to get their dream villagers for free, through stalking cycling threads or raffles, I still have plenty of people willing to buy. After speaking with some of them over the last few months, here are a couple of their reasons:

It saves time spent stalking cycling threads, being unlucky in raffles, and resetting for villagers. None of these three things are a 100% sure way to get a villager you want. It lets you recieve a new villager in a more timely manner. Sellers are also often more flexible on when you can pick up a villager. Cyclers void their villagers after a certain amount of time, so the window of opportunity is pretty small. If there's 5mil riding on the line, a seller or auctioneer is a little more likely to give you some time to TT a villager out or get home from school/work or something.

Bells are easy to make with the Stalk Market threads on this site and many others. Making 7 or 8mil+ per full locker with the help of someone with a high turnip price is possible every week. Or multiple times a week, if you time travel. Even with beetle hunting (on a not-demolished island), I was bringing in around 700k in two trips.

Selling villagers allows people who feel like they have no luck in raffles or cycling threads get villagers they want. It goes along with the idea that anyone who is willing to work at making bells can obtain whatever villager they want. It's like the "Animal Crossing Dream" in a way. xD;

Those are the biggest, most common reasons people have given me after buying villagers from me. Or that I've seen on other buying/selling threads.

Animal trafficking anyone.. -shot-

I feel bad selling (have not yet auctioned) my villagers too D: But I really need the bells.. >.< lol

Hmm.. I personally would never auction off an animal, just because I don't have the time and patience to deal with that sort of stuff and I usually just give villagers away. I've never payed for an animal before.
People usually just put in their posts that they are broke and make an auction for the animal because of it... But I prefer beetle hunting.

To me auctions are also a part of the game :) so yes I do that on both ends ( buy and sell villagers)

I've never won an auction, but I have auctioned before. I don't find it wrong, but I can see why it might be thought of that way by some people.

I let Coco move out to somebody who love her more than I do, she is now the top dreamie in the town of the person adopt her. I get some bells from that so now I feel kinda guilty like I sold her off. But in the positive ways I make a good friend there =) also I can always revisit her~

Last edited:
I buy and sell villagers. I don't think it's wrong, but I do help people when I can too. Karma!

I don't understand why people think it is wrong I mean the villagers are pixels, they have no feeling so it doesn't affect them

I'd agree with you if we were talking about actual living beings but this is just a video game. And if you'd like to auction off a villager that someone else really wants to get one that you ultimately really want - well, what's wrong with that?
Don't get me wrong - I'm actually really attached to some of my villagers and I wouldn't let them go but I just don't see how trading/selling/auctioning villagers could be considered "wrong".
Also, if you want to buy nice items for your house, some extra money never hurts.

I actually have no problem with it. It's just a game after all, and they're just cute little pixels. I suppose you could say I'm somewhat attached to my villagers as I don't want a lot of them to ever leave, but if id ever TT'd them out on accident I'd like to get something for them. Also I think it's a good source of money in the game. That's why I keep 9 dreamies, so I could have the campsite for a rare 10th lol. You're entitled to your own opinion, but I really feel like you're overthinking it as they're just programs in a computer :)

Back