• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Ask AC:NL Questions here! (Please read before posting here or making a new thread!)

How do I get all the mannequins? To begin with, mannequins can't be shared/sold, right? I know the 4th one you get comes from gracie, and I got the first one when my QR machine unlocked. So how do I get the other two?
Correct they can't be shared or sold. I think you get one from buying a lot of clothes from able sisters.

Hi!
I'm new and hope this is the right place for this.
I've poked around and haven't found any definitive answers.

Is it possible for the game to be glitched, or things being more rare town-to-town?

I'm unable to find: Nibble Fish, Giant Snakehead, Gar, Tarantula, Scorpion, and Walking Leaf.

I've read up on the seasons and times, and all I do is patrol, patrol, patrol. And nothing. It was even raining today, and I was so stoked because surely the Walking Leaf would appear, and it hasn't. I've done everything I can think of (although it wasn't mentioned as necessary in any of the posts I've read) like clearing flowers away from the tree bases, spooking off cicadas and beetles, and shaking the trees. Walking with, and without, my net out. I'm really frustrated about the Gar and Snakehead as well, since they're supposed to be uncommon, but I'm finding a fair amount of Arapaima and even Colecanth.

I'm just very frustrated. It's been days and my hands hurt from playing so much. :(

So the new character trick, you know, choosing where villager houses go, isn't working for me. I'm expecting someone to move in today, so instead of loading one of my already made characters, I choose 'new save file' instead. And of course the villager plopped their house down in a very inconvenient spot, so I eject the game card and then restart with another new save file. Except that the house stubbornly remains in the same. exact. spot.

I've done this three separate times and the house hasn't moved! And I know for a fact that I didn't accidentally load a saved character.

I am so angry. Someone please help :mad:

(Edit: I'm making a thread because I can't play today until I get the dumb house thing figured)

Last edited:
Okay, weird.
My town didn't celebrate the 4th of July. The date is accurate (the time is off by an hour and a half to better fit my schedule).
The only thing I can think of is that the Early Bird ordinance was enacted that morning cause I wanted everyone to go to bed earlier cause one suggestion I saw about the Scorpion and Tarantula was that they won't come out if villagers are out and about and mine are roaming around till 2am game time. .-.

Okay, weird.
My town didn't celebrate the 4th of July. The date is accurate (the time is off by an hour and a half to better fit my schedule).
The only thing I can think of is that the Early Bird ordinance was enacted that morning cause I wanted everyone to go to bed earlier cause one suggestion I saw about the Scorpion and Tarantula was that they won't come out if villagers are out and about and mine are roaming around till 2am game time. .-.

But... There's no special event for the 4th of July in Animal Crossing xD

Okay, weird.

the 4th of July isn't celebrated in Europe, I think. My games are in french and nothing happened yesterday.

But... There's no special event for the 4th of July in Animal Crossing xD

Ahhh, I thought there was a Fireworks Show. My mistake :blush:

New questions:
- Still frustrated about the lack of creatures. I have funding for a public works project happening, does anyone suppose that has any impact? I can't find anything one way or another.
- I just realized I had messy hair (I didn't know that was a thing), but I read that that's not supposed to happen if you have the Beautiful Town ordinance... which I did.
- I'm really thinking something is just messed up though, even though my data is up to date. Jewel beetles are super common right now, but other things that are supposed to be uncommon *cough*Walking Leaf in the rain, Giant Snakeheads*cough* literally don't exist.
- Do you stop getting fossils one the collection is complete? I completed those earlier, but only had 3. I've cased the entire town, even doing the "up on the D pad" trick. .-.

Sorry if any of this is obvious and I just phrased it wrong and couldn't find answers. :c

Last edited:
How many buried items appear every day? (e.g. gyroids, fossils and ore)

I can't be 100% sure, but on average, I've found that there are around 4 fossils every day, varying amounts of gyroids not every day (usually only after it rains I think?), and ore isn't usually buried. There is one "fake" rock with ore inside it every day, and depending on what kind of shovel you use, there is a chance of the money rock spitting out ore instead.

New questions:
- Still frustrated about the lack of creatures. I have funding for a public works project happening, does anyone suppose that has any impact? I can't find anything one way or another.

No, I don't think so. Rare creatures are rare. Some of the creatures you mentioned can't be found with your town gates open, and walking leafs need to have space around trees if you have a bunch of flowers. Otherwise, IDK.

- I just realized I had messy hair (I didn't know that was a thing), but I read that that's not supposed to happen if you have the Beautiful Town ordinance... which I did.

The Beautiful Town ordinance will stop roaches, but not your hair. If you don't play for a long time, that's what happens.

- Do you stop getting fossils one the collection is complete? I completed those earlier, but only had 3. I've cased the entire town, even doing the "up on the D pad" trick. .-.

Nope. You still get the fossils. To stop that, I buried fossils on a part of the shore you can only get to with a wetsuit. You're either missing them, or something is wrong, which just doesn't seem that likely to me. If you were glitching out, I'd think you'd have bigger issues than you have.

No, I don't think so. Rare creatures are rare. Some of the creatures you mentioned can't be found with your town gates open, and walking leafs need to have space around trees if you have a bunch of flowers. Otherwise, IDK.

The Beautiful Town ordinance will stop roaches, but not your hair. If you don't play for a long time, that's what happens.

Nope. You still get the fossils. To stop that, I buried fossils on a part of the shore you can only get to with a wetsuit. You're either missing them, or something is wrong, which just doesn't seem that likely to me. If you were glitching out, I'd think you'd have bigger issues than you have.

Thanks for the response!
I guess maybe the guide I saw is wrong? I did most of my reading on Thonky and the AC Wikia...

New questions, for you (or anyone):

- Do villagers talk about things from their previous village if they get adopted?
Honestly, I got ACNL because my ex kept telling me to, and we played together alot. When we broke up, I obviously quit playing (for about a year), and my first order of business upon picking it back up was removing him as a contact in Animal Crossing, and yet, some of the original villagers are still like "Hey he was cool do you think he'll come back sometime?" which... >_> Honestly is a big part of why I want them gone, although I never really jived with them in the first place. But I don't want some poor adopter having this villager asking them about a stranger o-o

- Are there consequences to trying to force them to move (ie, ignoring, beating with a net)?
I haven't found any, but mysteriously about 1/4 of my flowers were dead today, which seems unusual and is the only change I've made. EDIT: Actually, no. I changed my system time because that was super wrong somehow, and it also affected my in game time, but the changes weren't the same o-o

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Random question. If you adopt a villager that will move in tomorrow and someone with an unclean void visits your town, could the void villager overwrite the one you adopted? Note that the plot of the adopted villager isn't even down yet. Can anyone confirm?

- Do villagers talk about things from their previous village if they get adopted?
Honestly, I got ACNL because my ex kept telling me to, and we played together alot. When we broke up, I obviously quit playing (for about a year), and my first order of business upon picking it back up was removing him as a contact in Animal Crossing, and yet, some of the original villagers are still like "Hey he was cool do you think he'll come back sometime?" which... >_> Honestly is a big part of why I want them gone, although I never really jived with them in the first place. But I don't want some poor adopter having this villager asking them about a stranger o-o

They will talk about the village they came from, but not visitors they met when they were there. They only talk to you about that anyway. If I were to visit your village, they would not bring him up if I talked to them. I think the only thing they will talk about in their new town is your town tune, and you or other characters you have. Like, they'd say, "I used to live near someone called lizasaur. She was a real bell pincher!"

- Are there consequences to trying to force them to move (ie, ignoring, beating with a net)?
I haven't found any, but mysteriously about 1/4 of my flowers were dead today, which seems unusual and is the only change I've made. EDIT: Actually, no. I changed my system time because that was super wrong somehow, and it also affected my in game time, but the changes weren't the same o-o

Who wants to move is really pretty random, and beating them won't make them less or more likely to move. It will lower their friendship level with you, which increases the likelihood that when you tell them to go ahead and move, they will say, "No, I'm staying so we can be better friends." If that happens, quit without saving and have nothing to do with them until they're gone.

Random question. If you adopt a villager that will move in tomorrow and someone with an unclean void visits your town, could the void villager overwrite the one you adopted? Note that the plot of the adopted villager isn't even down yet. Can anyone confirm?

No, you're safe. Once you agree to have them move in, it's pretty much locked down.

can villagers suggest public works projects while one is being built or demolished?

can villagers suggest public works projects while one is being built or demolished?

Yes they can

- - - Post Merge - - -

what is the best time to tan during the summer? :>

Anytime when there sun out, but much better it's go to the island

- - - Post Merge - - -

this might be a stupid question, but are the 7/11 and 24 hour sets the same or different items?

7/11 it's a set but the 24th items are items that can go well with the 7/11, so basically yes they are

Last edited:
I'm back with new questions!

- Is it just me or do the shadows of bass seem to appear differently? In some instances, they're shorter and fatter, and others, slimmer and longer. Maybe it's just the angle... but I try so hard to avoid them, and keep getting rudely surprised T_T

- Is there any rhyme or reason for some of the villagers requests? Snake just asked me for a Butterfly, which has to be given to him by the end of the day (which is almost here), and the butterflies are gone >_> This isn't the first time I've gotten an impossible request and I kinda hate it cause it means I'm rude for saying no, and rude for not keeping my word .-.

- Does Island grass wear and tear like mainland grass?

- And, speaking of, what causes that? I read somewhere that degradation isn't as bad as previous games because "you can walk faster, so you don't have to run as much", but I was also told that even "walking fast" (thumbstick to the max / dust kicking up behind you), causes degradation. Which is it?

- What makes stags and other beetles flee when you don't run by them? There've been a few instances where ones a few trees away from me take off. I think it's only when I miss, and smack the tree, and scare off the other stag... but I'm not 100%. Any confirmation or explanation would be very helpful! :)

- Do tarantulas and scorpions need clearings away from trees/flowers/clovers, like the Walking Leaf? I got ONE walking leaf finally, but it was in a pretty thick tree area... I'm just wondering what the deal with those two is. The guide said they're detected by their sound, but... I've never heard their sound, and can't even hear it in the videos of people catching them. Is it like the Mole Cricket where you have to listen, and then you find it, and if you don't follow the sound or whatever, you just won't encounter them? ALSO, I read that they're the only things that villagers will note the presence of? What does this mean, if it's even true? I've tried talking to villagers that are out and they never say "Oooh there's a scary Scorpion over there!", which I was thinking might have to be another trigger for their appearance?

- Do your villagers really go to other towns? They say they do, but Wart Jr. just told me that he recently visited and spoke to my ex which really... really... freaks me out .-. I mean he's not even connected anymore, so is it just a weird blurb, like how others talk about him, or is it more like... the void or something similar to how like, even though Boone moved away a long time ago, still visited?

Sorry for all the weird questions @w@ Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
My villager is walking around inside their house with a thought bubble over their heads. When I talk to him, he just says he's trying to concentrate. What does this mean? It's not the sad mood.

Another question I have is how do you put pictures into your signature? I see a lot of people with their villagers in their signature but I can't work out how to do that.

Last edited:
- Is it just me or do the shadows of bass seem to appear differently? In some instances, they're shorter and fatter, and others, slimmer and longer. Maybe it's just the angle... but I try so hard to avoid them, and keep getting rudely surprised T_T

Yes, they are different so as to be more realistic (you know, some fish of the same species can be larger than others), but in order for them to be other fish such as the Napoleon fish they have to be way longer, so there is no room for confusion once you learn that.

- Is there any rhyme or reason for some of the villagers requests? Snake just asked me for a Butterfly, which has to be given to him by the end of the day (which is almost here), and the butterflies are gone >_> This isn't the first time I've gotten an impossible request and I kinda hate it cause it means I'm rude for saying no, and rude for not keeping my word .-.

If your town is set in summer, there is still one buttterfly you can catch at night: the emperor butterfly. However, I agree that they sometimes ask for impossible things (Cube and Henry asked for a cicada in June). And don't worry about saying no, because actually it is better than saying yes and not following through. If you say yes and don't follow through, your friendship level will go down.

- Does Island grass wear and tear like mainland grass? And, speaking of, what causes that? I read somewhere that degradation isn't as bad as previous games because "you can walk faster, so you don't have to run as much", but I was also told that even "walking fast" (thumbstick to the max / dust kicking up behind you), causes degradation. Which is it?

I'm not sure but I'd say yes because it is grass at the end of the day. Degradation is caused by walking or running repeatedly on the same patches of grass. If you run, it'll wear off faster than if you walk. And it is true that it isn't as bad as in City Folk, because it takes longer for the grass to wear off than in New Leaf, and the same goes for reappearing.

- What makes stags and other beetles flee when you don't run by them? There've been a few instances where ones a few trees away from me take off. I think it's only when I miss, and smack the tree, and scare off the other stag... but I'm not 100%. Any confirmation or explanation would be very helpful! :)

Some stags are easier to scare than others (Hercules or golden, for instance) so it only takes for you to walk at a normal pace, like, 6 tiles away from them to scare them. You have to sneak up on them very slow. The same goes for when there are several stags next to one another. You'll have to choose which one to catch because the other one will flee.

- Do tarantulas and scorpions need clearings away from trees/flowers/clovers, like the Walking Leaf? I got ONE walking leaf finally, but it was in a pretty thick tree area... I'm just wondering what the deal with those two is. The guide said they're detected by their sound, but... I've never heard their sound, and can't even hear it in the videos of people catching them. Is it like the Mole Cricket where you have to listen, and then you find it, and if you don't follow the sound or whatever, you just won't encounter them? ALSO, I read that they're the only things that villagers will note the presence of? What does this mean, if it's even true? I've tried talking to villagers that are out and they never say "Oooh there's a scary Scorpion over there!", which I was thinking might have to be another trigger for their appearance?

I got my tarantula and scorpion on the plaza or by the train station, which is where they most often spawn (at least for me), because there are a lot of clearings. They will spawn anywhere there are no flowers, but they can move on top of them and disappear if you don't catch them in time. You have to get your net far away from them so that they're not scared and sting you and then approach them while holding A. They may turn around and hiss or do some eerie sounds, but they'll stand still, so you can approach them really slow and catch them. As for the villagers thing, I haven't been told there was a scorpion or a tarantula nearby, but I've heard it's true. Maybe it only works if you can see them loitering around as you talk to your villagers?

- Do your villagers really go to other towns? They say they do, but Wart Jr. just told me that he recently visited and spoke to my ex which really... really... freaks me out .-. I mean he's not even connected anymore, so is it just a weird blurb, like how others talk about him, or is it more like... the void or something similar to how like, even though Boone moved away a long time ago, still visited?

They don't leave your town, but they may talk about other players who have come to yours and have spoken to your villagers. It is not connected to the void, as that is another thing.

My villager is walking around inside their house with a thought bubble over their heads. When I talk to him, he just says he's trying to concentrate. What does this mean? It's not the sad mood.

Maybe you've talked to him too much so he just needs to rest for a while. If you come back sometime later, he won't be thinking any more.

Another question I have is how do you put pictures into your signature? I see a lot of people with their villagers in their signature but I can't work out how to do that.

There is a section called the "Museum Shop" right above the "Basement". You can ask for signatures there if you don't know how to make them.

Back