• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Are you more of a Marvel or DC fan?

Well?

• Total voters
DC for sure. I grew up watching the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited cartoons on cartoon network so the characters are very near and dear to my heart lol. I also read some of the comic books and watched the batman animated tv show (I forget what the main one was called) and also batman beyond. I even watch the DC superhero tv shows on the CW because even though they are low key bad lmao I just feel like I know the characters and the stories so well that it's very comforting to me.

I also just don't like the marvel movies that much because I don't really like any of the characters. I feel like the movies were very action focused and I personally never felt like we got to get to know the characters very well or saw much of their interactions together but maybe that's just because I feel like I know so much about DC and all the superhero's backstories and futures.

To be honest, I just like whatever superhero and leave it at that. I actually don't really care for superheroes much but I do like Spider Man, Deadpool and Batman. The Wonder Woman movie was pretty cool too.

DC for animation and Marvel for live action for me!

They each have their strengths.

Neither. I'm aware of a decent chunk of characters from both Marvel and DC and have watched some movies from both universes, but they've never really interested me enough to want to become a fan of either of them.

I don’t know too much about Superhero stuff. My username on gaming platforms is Killer Croconaw, which is a play on words of Croconaw and Killer Croc. I thought the name was perfect, but I wouldn’t consider myself a fan. Overall, I don’t really have a preference.

DC!!!!!! That is very easy to pick...
I literally have a shrine in my home to Robin (Dick Greyson) my collection is all things robin but mostly the 1966 TV series robin ☺
1633502554462.png

Marvel (since the Disney purchase) also has a tendency to pander to what they think the public wants...which kills their comic book sales.
Pretty much.

Even though my taste in video games might suggest otherwise, I actually don't really enjoy stories that pander to the mass populace. With Marvel, they've tried their hand at ambitious stories from time to time, but you'll never reach the height of The Killing Joke, Watchmen, The Dark Knight Returns, Neil Gaiman's Sandman, Kingdom Come, Superman: Red Son, etc, etc. All non-Marvel properties, those titles I just named.

Marvel has some good Spider-Man stories I love like Kraven's Last Hunt and The Death of Jean DeWolffe, but even those stand out for how unorthodox they are compared to most Marvel stories. "Kraven's Last Hunt" was about a depressed Kraven who finds no worth in his life for crying out loud. The best Marvel could come up with was Civil War by Mark Millar, and that's more edgy than mature (which pretty much sums up Mark Millar's career).

There is one mini series from Marvel that has managed to impress me on that caliber of sophisticated storytelling, which is Kurt Busiek's Marvels, showing the different periods of America and how Marvel superheroes fitted into that. "Spider-Man: Life Story" is also similar to that and I also enjoyed that one. Both were examples of ambitious storytelling Marvel should really do more of.

There's also Spider-Man: Blue, which features Peter reflecting on Gwen Stacy after she died and the good times both he and Gwen had in the past. Very tearjerking and emotional story that's worth checking out too.

See, in my opinion, DC stories are more intellectual while Marvel stories are more emotional. So the best of both worlds, I guess.

Last edited:
It's somewhere between I don't know anything about superhero stuff/neither for me. I've just never been able to get into the genre at all personally, be it Marvel, DC, or anything else. I hear some things from people I know who are fans, and I know some stuff just from general pop culture exposure, but that's pretty much the extent of my superhero knowledge.

I can't explain why I love DC more than Marvel, but I personally enjoy watching both of them even though DC is more of a personal favorite.

Pretty much.

Even though my taste in video games might suggest otherwise, I actually don't really enjoy stories that pander to the mass populace. With Marvel, they've tried their hand at ambitious stories from time to time, but you'll never reach the height of The Killing Joke, Watchmen, The Dark Knight Returns, Neil Gaiman's Sandman, Kingdom Come, Superman: Red Son, etc, etc. All non-Marvel properties, those titles I just named.

Marvel has some good Spider-Man stories I love like Kraven's Last Hunt and The Death of Jean DeWolffe, but even those stand out for how unorthodox they are compared to most Marvel stories. "Kraven's Last Hunt" was about a depressed Kraven who finds no worth in his life for crying out loud. The best Marvel could come up with was Civil War by Mark Millar, and that's more edgy than mature (which pretty much sums up Mark Millar's career).

There is one mini series from Marvel that has managed to impress me on that caliber of sophisticated storytelling, which is Kurt Busiek's Marvels, showing the different periods of America and how Marvel superheroes fitted into that. "Spider-Man: Life Story" is also similar to that and I also enjoyed that one. Both were examples of ambitious storytelling Marvel should really do more of.

There's also Spider-Man: Blue, which features Peter reflecting on Gwen Stacy after she died and the good times both he and Gwen had in the past. Very tearjerking and emotional story that's worth checking out too.

See, in my opinion, DC stories are more intellectual while Marvel stories are more emotional. So the best of both worlds, I guess.

Fantastic post, I pretty much agree with everything you mentioned.

Due to legalities at the time, Disney made use of what they had access to...Avengers, and THANKFULLY Spidey was present. I mean, people love Cap/Thor/Hulk now, but let's face it...Spider Man, X-Men (Wolverine more specifically), Deadpool, Punisher etc. have been carrying Marvel for years. The Marvel Knights (aka darker Marvel) titles are great. Even when they took the usually tame Fantastic Four and gave them a Knights title it was a welcome change. Seeing Invisible Woman actually kill things with her constructs was amazing.

I did like Guardians of the Galaxy...but it was an adjustment for me to have to see Gamora/Drax so different from their Infinity Watch versions.

On a side note, I AM kinda intrigued by where Marvel has been going with X-Men over the past couple years. All the mutants living on Krakoa, it being its own nation with imports/exports, and Professor X seemingly on the verge of becoming a villain now...I am looking forward to how this plays out.

I'm not in to the superhero genre very much, but if I had to pick I would pick DC. I like Batman, and I really love the Joker (Heath Ledger/Joaquin Phoenix versions). I like Jason Momoa's Aquaman although that movie was cheesy as heck and Amber Heard had absolutely zero chemistry with him.

I think the only Marvel thing I liked was Guardians of the Galaxy.. never really saw the appeal of the Avengers

and Professor X seemingly on the verge of becoming a villain now...I am looking forward to how this plays out.
Tbh, Prof. X has always been kinda a jerk. They've hinted this in the Dark Phoenix movie, but that's barely scratching the surface of Xavier's ego.

Marvel! even though l grew up in a family that are fans of both a lot. One of the reasons because l like all the characters more and their designs.

DC, Nightwing's my fav superhero so 🤷‍♀️

The MCU did get me into superheroes and comic books in the first place, and I do like a lot of Marvel characters, but DC has always been more interesting to me, and imo DC's comics have better writing quality than Marvel's.

DC mainly for the fact that batman and the joker are my favorite superhero / villain duo of all time, no one else even comes close. the joker is in my opinion the ultimate villain. however there’s a lot of things about DC that bore me, like i could care less about the live action superman adaptations and a lot of the recent DC movies were disappointing. but the animated batman movies are goated and heath ledger’s joker is just iconic. the comics are awesome too.
there’s a lot about marvel that i like as well, i loved wandavision (the ending was lackluster which is super upsetting but i love the series as a whole, wanda and vision are my fav) and the what if series has been pretty dope! but i’m not a fan of the disney/marvel partnership overall, i feel like it’s watered down what potential marvel could’ve had.

Call me a hipster, but I fell out of love of superheroes post-2000s MCU boom. I don't completely know why. The movies just mostly feel like generic action movies to me so I don't get the hype.

Anyway, I've generally been more of a Marvel fan than a DC fan, but I really like Batman. I'm an 80s/90s kid, and loved Batman the Animated Series.

i personally don't really have a preference between the two. they both have their good and their bad, but i have seen more marvel movies than dc so if that counts as me liking one more than the other then I guess I’d choose marvel. The Dark Knight is still one of my favorite movie out of all the marvel / dc movies though, but it’s more so because of Heath Ledger

Tbh, Prof. X has always been kinda a jerk. They've hinted this in the Dark Phoenix movie, but that's barely scratching the surface of Xavier's ego.
Agreed. I think it's actually going to be ego vs ego when this part of the storyline hits its peak...Professor X went into Mr. Fantastic's mind to erase his memory of how to build the device that can cancel out the mutant gene, so basically he now considers Reed Richards a threat to mutants. At the beginning of the Hellfire gala, Mr Fantastic goes up to Charles and whispers something we don't know yet in his ear...since it's Mr. Fantastic (who has an equally huge ego) people are assuming he told Prof X that he got around his mental block (due to his 'elastic brain', Mr Fantastic is generally immune to 'mind' supers anyways), which is again going to lead to confrontation.

My thoughts are that this is going to lead to an X-Men Vs. the Marvel U type scenario. Professor X is hugely aggressive right now.

Back