• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Are you more of a Marvel or DC fan?

Well?

• Total voters

xSuperMario64x

Canadian at heart 💜🇨🇦
Bells
Switch
8558-0128-9692
Island
He/him
Purple Hybrid Rose
Blue Hybrid Hyacinth
Golden Watering Can
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Rose
White Rose
For anyone who doesn't know, Marvel includes Spiderman, the Avengers, Iron Man, Capt America, Deadpool, etc. and DC includes Superman, Batman and Robin, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Green Lantern, The Flash, etc.

I don't personally know a great deal about either Marvel or DC, but in terms of the superheroes and villains I tend to favor DC. I especially like the International Justice League (Super Friends), never watched the original cartoon but I would love to!

Note the signature and avatar. :)

But no, aside from the webslinger, the webhead, the wallcrawler, the Spideyringo, the masked menace... I don't really enjoy a lot of MCU content. I prefer the more mature content in DC movies and comics. It's not necessarily a jab at Marvel even; it's just a difference of demographics. It's like saying "Teletubbies is for children" is an insult when it's just stating a fact.

Sure, Marvel has their share of mature content from time to time, but look at how Netflix Marvel turned out when they tried their hand at non-PG-13 content. It failed, flopped, cancelled.

That being said, I actually love Marvel characters a lot more than DC ones. I know of the "main" Justice League members from the cartoons like Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Martian Manhunter and Hawkgirl, but other than that line-up (and the Teen Titans, which I love much more than the Justice League), I actually don't really have that kind of love for DC characters. It's ironic, after what I said, but it's just what it is: I prefer the adult ratings of DC stories like Batman: TAS and The Dark Knight movies, but I just can't help loving the Marvel characters more because they're more relatable and human. Even the most "human" of DC characters is practically a Bat-God who can one-shot Superman with prep, so... Kinda boring when they're invincible. No offense. Superman died and just came back the next movie, so who cares. Snyder really made a mess. You only get one shot at killing Superman and adapting "The Death of Superman" on the big-screen, and you blew it.

But to be honest, I'm not some hardcore fanboy who defends a brand. I don't work for Marvel or DC, so I don't care about either brands; I care about good writing and characters. I don't just read Marvel or DC, but also Image Comics (a bit) and lots of manga (though I'm more of an anime person than a manga one). I've also read this series called "Grimm Fairy Tales" by Zenescope, which tells fairy tales the way they were intended to be told originally: gory, violent, cautionary tales.

But yeah, not much interest for reading in me nowadays. More of a watcher now. Not The Watcher, since that's Jeffrey Wright's job now. ;)

Note the signature and avatar. :)

But no, aside from the webslinger, the webhead, the wallcrawler, the Spideyringo, the masked menace... I don't really enjoy a lot of MCU content. I prefer the more mature content in DC movies and comics. It's not necessarily a jab at Marvel even; it's just a difference of demographics. It's like saying "Teletubbies is for children" is an insult when it's just stating a fact.

Sure, Marvel has their share of mature content from time to time, but look at how Netflix Marvel turned out when they tried their hand at non-PG-13 content. It failed, flopped, cancelled.

That being said, I actually love Marvel characters a lot more than DC ones. I know of the "main" Justice League members from the cartoons like Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Martian Manhunter and Hawkgirl, but other than that line-up (and the Teen Titans, which I love much more than the Justice League), I actually don't really have that kind of love for DC characters. It's ironic, after what I said, but it's just what it is: I prefer the adult ratings of DC stories like Batman: TAS and The Dark Knight movies, but I just can't help loving the Marvel characters more because they're more relatable and human. Even the most "human" of DC characters is practically a Bat-God who can one-shot Superman with prep, so... Kinda boring when they're invincible. No offense. Superman died and just came back the next movie, so who cares. Snyder really made a mess. You only get one shot at killing Superman and adapting "The Death of Superman" on the big-screen, and you blew it.

But to be honest, I'm not some hardcore fanboy who defends a brand. I don't work for Marvel or DC, so I don't care about either brands; I care about good writing and characters. I don't just read Marvel or DC, but also Image Comics (a bit) and lots of manga (though I'm more of an anime person than a manga one). I've also read this series called "Grimm Fairy Tales" by Zenescope, which tells fairy tales the way they were intended to be told originally: gory, violent, cautionary tales.

But yeah, not much interest for reading in me nowadays. More of a watcher now. Not The Watcher, since that's Jeffrey Wright's job now. ;)
interesting! I'm literally brand new to the whole marvel/DC scene besides having watched a few famous movies like Batman 1989 and Superman 1978 so hearing this take is a lot for me to absorb all at once 😆
I do agree that having a character who is invincible and seemingly infinitely powerful does kinda ruin the fun; in that sense I find Batman to be more interesting as a character than Superman.

I'm personally a fan of stuff that's moreso aimed at a family/young audience, hence why I would love to watch the Super Friends series (I'm also considering watching the old Star Trek animated series). I've never been particularly interested in the more mature movies that have been released in the last decade or so like The Dark Knight or any of the recent MCU films.

I like them both. Both companies have amazing stories and characters. You hear time and time that Marvel is better because of the movies, but that's because of the director. And honestly the DC director is just bad.

Marvel has the best liveaction movies right now, there's no argument to that. Shazam was pretty darn good though. And DC has some of the best animated movies. Like Justice League Unlimited is amazing. Loved that series when it aired on CN. The plots surrounding the first season could had easily been made into an engaging and amazing movie. The material is there. The directors just don't know the source they're dealing with.

Heck in Justice League there's an episode where Superman from an AU comes with his shady JL friends to get their hands dirty and lobotomize Doomsday. It's crazy that they were able to air that on a kids show. And in a movie similar to this one they had the JL go full rogue and it was up to the real JL to come help Lex Luthor and the villains put an end to their tyranny (they were actually the JL of that timeline)

I'm a geezer but surprisingly when I was a kid buying comic books back in the mid to late '70s,Marvel had pretty much already taken over the comic book scene.The comic book rack at the drugstore I made my purchases at were stocked with a ton of Marvel books and only a handful of DCs,so I grew up with Marvel and still prefer them over DC.I've always thought that the Marvel characters were more exciting and had that coolness factor that I never really got from DC but I have to say this(I know the DC fans are gonna hate this)...I really love the 60's Batman TV series with Adam West.

Marvel for sure. I'm not a diehard fan either way, but definitely prefer Marvel. I've seen almost all of the Marvel movies and I think most of the DC ones. The heroes for Marvel just have a lot more interesting personalities (though I feel like a lot of the women are not written properly) and the villains are great too for the most part. DC movies have kind of inconsistent quality like some are good and others aren't. I also don't like how overpowered Superman is in general and Batman's no kill policy. DC has had some strong starting seasons to shows, but they keep using the alternate realities as a crutch which is really hindering shows like The Flash which I dropped at some point.

neither, and it'll stay that way. admittedly, i do know more than enough about the marvel movies (all against my will), and it's all i need to tell me that the mainstream movies aren't as progressive as they should be given what year we're in. ergo, i'm not interested. if you don't want to represent me, i don't want to watch your movies. simple as. i hear the comics are more diverse, but i'm not a comic fan, and i think we all know the movies are the bigger medium that reach wider audiences, so it's just as important -- if not more so -- for them to be portraying that diversity and yet-

> this is not to crap on anyone who likes dc or marvel. my girlfriend is a big marvel fan -- she watches all the movies and shows and knows some stuff about the comics -- and that's fine. i'm not here to police anyone's interests, this is just my view on it.

im not really a comic person but DCs usually grittier so i prefer their stuff. I like Batman and the range of villains he deals with, all with their different issues. The DC movies are pretty bad but for the most part the Batman movies are all really good and really rewatchable. to me a lot of the MCU stuff just feels like the same movie with different characters every time so i tuned out a while ago.

I don’t know anything about either; I do prefer Marvel over dc. I did really enjoy the animated Justice League that I watched some years ago with my bf at the time. I have no real interest in either though and only will go watch them if my friends invite me to the movies. They’re too cheesy to me and don’t like the romance stuff seen in some of the movies. That is honestly a big turn off to me even though I do like some romance in games/anime.

Definitely Marvel, but the MCU specifically. Anything MCU is an automatic trip to the movie theaters for me. Know everything and anything about it.

For DC, I’ll go see Aquaman movies. Not a big fan of the others. DC just has an issue of changing actors all the time and trying to catch up to Marvel and be like them.

I don’t know anything about either; I do prefer Marvel over dc. I did really enjoy the animated Justice League that I watched some years ago with my bf at the time. I have no real interest in either though and only will go watch them if my friends invite me to the movies. They’re too cheesy to me and don’t like the romance stuff seen in some of the movies. That is honestly a big turn off to me even though I do like some romance in games/anime.
I can totally get that. The shipping they did in Young Justice was just god awful. I wish they would had focused on the story instead lol. Reminds me of Korra season 1 with Mako and Asami. That season and villain was squandered for a love triangle that was just hard to watch.

I will admit I don't really follow it all. I watched bits and pieces of Batman the Animated series back in the early 2000s and just recently bought the boxset to watch. Really liked a lot of episodes. The one where Barabara (Batgirl dies but she is just dreaming and in a coma) is really good.

I caught the Dark Knight Returns on tv one night and it was just part 1 so I bought the dvd to catch both parts. Really liked that one and how Batman in his late 50s goes out of retirement. With his old age he can't help but to make noise and the fact that he is making noise freaks the villains out because they're used to him not making a sound lol.

Batman Beyond is a really good show to and delves into a lot of issues. Same with Static Shock. Those two are ignored shows that shed light on a lot of situations that are overlooked.

But I honestly can't say any Marvel animation sticks out to me because DC dominates it whereas Marvel dominates the liveaction scene. They both could do amazing on the other side, it's just the people undertaking the project aren't really pushing it like they should. Like Spiderman is the only one I can think of that had an animation series.

Yeah, I totally get that - I hate forced romance in movies. Could we go a movie without some kind of cheesy romance subplot? I thought it's an action superhero movie, not a romance film? Cap literally kissed Peggy's niece! What the heck?!

Last edited:
Neither to be honest, lol. Marvel movies have repeated the same formula too much for my tastes, and DC stuff is usually boring or not done well IMO.

Yeah, I totally get that - I hate forced romance in movies. Could we go a movie without some kind of cheesy romance subplot? I thought it's an action superhero movie, not a romance film? Cap literally kissed Peggy's niece! What the heck?!
They do that to attract people who aren't really fans so they have something to look at. It's one of the reason Band of Brothers is better than the Pacific. Each episode of that was focused on some kind of crush or whatever. I never understood why they thought focusing on a 'shipping' episode when the troops are based in Australia was a good idea when the next episode later they are back to bloody war. Like they should had known people who came for the romance would be turned off and running from that.

Also because I do like Avatar and Batman I wanted to share this because the topic is sort of relevant.
ab9a24475fe8d11bfdf3fe0fe5a704b1--batman-crossover.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not a hardcore super fan of either, but movie wise I prefer Marvel. I haven't read the comics for either so I can't say much there but I just feel DC movies are almost boring and don't keep me interested (except the Suicide Squad movies lol). Marvel movies I look forward to when they come out but DC I'm just like oh it's another batman movie.

Shueisha and Kodansha.
I don't read Western comics. Japanese manga only. I haven't watched a single Marvel film after Endgame either.
Anime is love. Anime is life.

I'm not a huge fan of either. I follow characters and stories that I like and those can be from Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Caliber, or any other comic book company.

I only collect a few comic book series:
Kabuki - Originally published by Caliber before being picked up by Icon which is under Marvel, I believe.
Death & Sandman - I had to look them up, but it says they are both published by DC.

So I'm sort of into the off-beat, not your regular superhero kind of comics mostly. I do like some superhero shows and movies, though. For DC, I love Batman because of the villains. For Marvel, there are some X-Men that I'm rather fond of, like Psylocke and Rogue.

I also generally prefer animated to live-action, which is something DC does very well, but there have been a few X-Men animated series that were pretty good too.

I like both of them, however I'd have to say I have a preference for DC, as I was raised on a lot of the old cartoons (and some comics), which tbh I still enjoy now. I'm not the biggest fan of most of the movies they've has been putting out recently, however in terms of other content, DC would still be my preference 👌

Been a fan of both for a long time...but DC still has the edge in terms of my preference. Over the years I've found that serious writers/artists tend to gravitate towards DC, with many of them saying that reaching that pinnacle was their dream job growing up. Not saying that Marvel has bad writers or artists...I'm just assuming DC looks better in your portfolio.

Also...Disney purchasing Marvel did wonders for the company in terms of movies, and almost killed the company in terms of comics. Disney could afford to back the Marvel movies, so it did wonders for them. DC generally struggles with most of their films.
Good rule of thumb: Live action movies, Marvel does better. Animated movies, DC does better.

Marvel (since the Disney purchase) also has a tendency to pander to what they think the public wants...which kills their comic book sales.

Back