• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Are there artists who inspire you or whose style influences you?

S.J.

💙
Squirtle Squad
Bells
Island
Cyan Heart Glow Wand
Space Whale Plush
Space Whale Plush
Space Whale Plush
Space Whale Plush
Space Whale Plush
Space Whale Plush
Space Whale Plush
Space Whale Plush
Crescent Moon Glow Wand
I was looking for a thread on a similar topic, and only found this inactive thread from 2017, on "Who are some of your favourite artists?". I know a lot of people follow other artists on Instagram, so I'm curious to know, are there artists that influence your style, or who inspire you, or who you continue to learn new techniques from?

Edit: Apparently I missed this similar, recent thread! 🙃

Recently I've just been practicing a lot of simple lineart, and also learning Procreate (I'm using a mix of Photoshop and Procreate at the moment). Also, just practicing chibis and positioning limbs properly/getting proportions right, lots of boring stuff! It's not like anything that I've been drawing at all, but what I'm really inspired by though is really classic, early book illustrations. I really like that classic Beatrix Potter style of animal/plant art, and I also noticed this art by Elise Hurst recently, and I really like this style (though I prefer colour).

1641756751762.png
1641756780022.png

Anyway, forget me, I'm interested to know which artists you like? Who inspires you? What sort of art styles do you like?

Last edited:
I am inspired constantly... and it is tiring. To the point where I feel bad that my style doesn't feel refined or interesting. I have an entire pinterest board of art pieces I aspire to learn from.

But I adore cartoon artists, mostly, or anime style. I stray from realism since it isn't really my passion. Currently, I am feeling really inspired by my boyfriend's good friend who did a commission for me. Honestly though, anyone who has a unique or interesting style really intrigues me! Some of my favorite youtube animators, Amelia Bothe and Litchi Kitti, are also huge inspirations.

Some of the most amazing art I've admired is manga and anime style, but I've only tried that style once digitally. I can definitely appreciate so many styles, but I wonder how many I can work on developing at once? 🤔😊 It's hard to choose where to focus my energy!

I’m not into art or do enough of it to follow specific artists. With that being said, I do take inspiration from some of the artists here on this site! I think a lot of members have their own unique style, while I just draw what I see. I’m trying my best to develop my own art style, but I’ve gotten used to drawing what my eyes see rather than using that as reference. I would love to have my own style someday though.

For example, I feel inspired seeing all of the designs people come up with when the staff host those big events. My favorites have been the team flags for Camp TBT. I love drawing for fun and seeing everyone’s creations. I know art takes a good bit of practice and patience, so I’m not stressing. 😁

Tons. Like hundreds. Copying this list from a comment I made in another post

- Maruti Bitamin, lovely, detailed, colorful watercolor illustrations
- Eric Joyner, oil paintings of toy robots and donuts and other fun stuff
- Tran Nguyen, breathtaking illustrations
- Alaiganuza, a new favorite of mine. Still life paintings that pop. Digital and traditional
- No Talking Plz, kind of a weird one but I love their sketches and sense of humor
- Rob Rey, beautiful oil paintings of galactic women
- Pip n Pop, pastel wonderland installations
- Tina Yu, colorful, unique sculptures of ladies and critters
- Lucy Sparrow, they make many felt sculptures of various goods (stuff you'd find in a pharmacy or grocery store) to make one big installation
- Noah Verrier, more classical. but modern. Still life oil paintings
- Little Thunder, realistic anime style illustrations done traditionally
- Ana Bagayan, sci-fi drawings and oil paintings
- The legendary Alphonse Mucha of course

Adding on to it, I also love:

- Sophie McPike illustrative watercolors
- Andrew Cadima realistic oil paintings
- BethAliceArt very colorful, bold rainbow acrylic paintings (warning, some NSFW nude art)
- NotSorryArt AKA Sari Shryack lots of fun oil paintings of still lifes, memes, portraits, etc.
- NoGoBed AKA Shanna Van Maurik similar to the above. Lots of varied subjects painted in oil or gouache. Very obsessed with her style
- Heikala kinda reminds me of Maruti Bitamin's work. Detailed traditional and digital illustrations
- Golsa Golchini Painting on cardboard and other found objects
- too many more to list

Tons. Like hundreds. Copying this list from a comment I made in another post

- Maruti Bitamin, lovely, detailed, colorful watercolor illustrations
- Eric Joyner, oil paintings of toy robots and donuts and other fun stuff
- Tran Nguyen, breathtaking illustrations
- Alaiganuza, a new favorite of mine. Still life paintings that pop. Digital and traditional
- No Talking Plz, kind of a weird one but I love their sketches and sense of humor
- Rob Rey, beautiful oil paintings of galactic women
- Pip n Pop, pastel wonderland installations
- Tina Yu, colorful, unique sculptures of ladies and critters
- Lucy Sparrow, they make many felt sculptures of various goods (stuff you'd find in a pharmacy or grocery store) to make one big installation
- Noah Verrier, more classical. but modern. Still life oil paintings
- Little Thunder, realistic anime style illustrations done traditionally
- Ana Bagayan, sci-fi drawings and oil paintings
- The legendary Alphonse Mucha of course

Adding on to it, I also love:

- Sophie McPike illustrative watercolors
- Andrew Cadima realistic oil paintings
- BethAliceArt very colorful, bold rainbow acrylic paintings (warning, some NSFW nude art)
- NotSorryArt AKA Sari Shryack lots of fun oil paintings of still lifes, memes, portraits, etc.
- NoGoBed AKA Shanna Van Maurik similar to the above. Lots of varied subjects painted in oil or gouache. Very obsessed with her style
- Heikala kinda reminds me of Maruti Bitamin's work. Detailed traditional and digital illustrations
- Golsa Golchini Painting on cardboard and other found objects
- too many more to list
Aaaah, there was another thread! I swear I looked, but I must have missed it!

I’m looking through your list now and Maruti Bitamin’s drawings are gorgeous, and the still life paintings by Alaiganuza really do pop! I also really love the colours in Sophie McPike’s art.

Thank you for sharing; so much for me to look at!

My favorite artist is probably Charlie Bowater. I don’t have a lot to say because it’s late right now, but I love the bone structure and how she paints everything one stroke at a time nothing is duplicated.
9CEE4C05-5896-4088-84AD-ED5126C7BE03.jpeg

86E90231-B460-4C75-AA9D-D5264E0F7325.jpeg

679E4951-D1DE-4120-AF9F-BE1824B2FD09.jpeg

I'm inspired by so many artists but I think my absolute favorites are avril_circus and orphetoon on instagram, shandzii, ABDillustrates, and GinjaNinjaOwO on youtube, and Sabrina Cotugno who's worked on shows like Gravity Falls and The Owl House, and has a comic called The Glass Scientists!

Although I posted in the other thread about my favorites, I would say my art is not at the point where the influence is shown by any one in particular, except maybe mahou.shoujo or chenlongchung, since I've been grinding lineart since last season.

My real dream is to move away from heavily lined art and learn how to paint and use more dynamic light like these pros:

Devin Elle Kurtz Maxine Vee Lois VB RaidesArt Karmen Loh
I don't have anything to show for my painting practice, though. I'm just not there yet!

I will say the 3 big takeaways I've had from my studies are:
1. USE A REFERENCE.
2. No matter what type of art style you are making, it benefits you to learn proper proportion, anatomy, and color theory.
3. Basic lineart rules: thicker on the outside, thinner on the inside details, and thicken where lines meet; try not to have too many intersecting tangents.
Ok 4. Break things down into blocks and shapes, don't panic.

Last edited:
i think my biggest inspiration is joycawn on YouTube / sodagf on twitter their art is ADORABLE

also howhighcanufly and mampfuart on twitter (who are also like my best friends on there too coincidentally but man their art is literally amazing 😭)

OH YEAH i cant forget Bendy the bunny on yt they drew my pfp and sig actually!! Their animations r literally godly

i posted in the other thread, but i'll gladly post this one again: my favourite artist is Hidari! his art style is incredible and was the entire reason i started playing the atelier series, because i wanted to see more of his work.

as for artists that personally influence my style, though, that's a different answer! i'd say the main two are grimoirering and MAEPOP! my style is decently cartoony so i tend to gravitate towards studying styles with those kinds of elements and these two have shaped my style and how i draw certain things for years :]

Back