• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Smash Bros Are Amiibo worth the price?

I'd say so (but i'm a blatant nintendo fanboy)
Training my amiibo in smash is fun and challenging, and putting your amiibo against your friend's to see who's is stronger is pretty fun. Plus, I get a great weapon every day in Hyrule Warriors, and a Mii Outfit for MK8 just for 13 dollars. Plus they're very high quality, great looking figures. They look very nice on my shelf.
But I guess it's up to you to decide.

I personally think no. The only game I regularly main is MK8. I suck at Smash and I haven't been able to improve my game for months, I've almost gave up. Only thing in it for me is apparently some leveling ability for Smash whenever I choose to play it hypercasually or whatever (I'm much more interested in things other than Smash, clearly) and some semi-badass reskin for my Mii. Ehh, not worth the thirteen bucks, but everyone plays different games, and in the end, to an extent, it comes down to what you're going to use it for (specifically, which games).

For the MSRP of 13,99$ CAD, I believe it's not a bad idea to spend some buck on them if you're into collecting these things to decorate your pad and use them for many compatible games. Who knows that an amiibo purchased this year could be used for a title releasing in 2020?

For a Nintendo-licensed character figurine they're actually kind of cheap. They cost less than a Barbie doll really. Plus you can use them in your game. But really, whether what it adds to the game is something that matters to you, and whether you like how they look, is what will determine if it's worth it to you.

I'm considering buying a Villager now. But one thing that's putting me off is that price wise it's more expensive in the UK than in America. There may be other factors but $12.99 in pounds is ?8 and the villager amiibo is almost times that amount.....
29f.jpg
Legit. Yoshi is ?15, Samus is ?10....

For the MSRP of 13,99$ CAD, I believe it's not a bad idea to spend some buck on them if you're into collecting these things to decorate your pad and use them for many compatible games. Who knows that an amiibo purchased this year could be used for a title releasing in 2020?

Good point, they may be used in the future considering how much money they've brought in for Nintendo.

I'd say so (but i'm a blatant nintendo fanboy)
Training my amiibo in smash is fun and challenging, and putting your amiibo against your friend's to see who's is stronger is pretty fun. Plus, I get a great weapon every day in Hyrule Warriors, and a Mii Outfit for MK8 just for 13 dollars. Plus they're very high quality, great looking figures. They look very nice on my shelf.
But I guess it's up to you to decide.
Assuming I have friends... :p
Good point, but I have no intention of buying Hyrule Warriors (I'll be occupied with Sm4sh and then AS, and then Majora's Mask and other games, by then it'd be Zelda U) and I haven't touched Mario Kart 8 since I got Smash (woops) but I don't use the Mii driver anyway.
Yeah, they seem like good collectibles but they're sort of expensive. I wish I could fork over ?15 but money's really tight after the past year. If I do get one, I might get villager, as he is going out of stock soon.

I'm considering buying a Villager now. But one thing that's putting me off is that price wise it's more expensive in the UK than in America. There may be other factors but $12.99 in pounds is ?8 and the villager amiibo is almost times that amount.....
View attachment 76977
Legit. Yoshi is ?15, Samus is ?10....

Most gaming related things are cheaper in the US than in the UK when you convert the currencies (same with most things actually). That's just simply the two different economies as well as other things such as different shipping costs, demand, average wage of a country etc. etc.

I remember hearing that VAT isn't added to the price in the US, whilst in the UK the VAT is always included in the overall price. Not sure how true that is though.

Aside from the ?80 villager, I wouldn't put too much thought into it. Whilst we pay a little more for games on average than the US, we get a lot of different things cheaper. Pretty much evens it all out. ?10-?15 seems about the average for an Amiibo right now, and I wouldn't pay more than about ?12 for one including P&P.

It especially doesn't help when these things are currently not being made to meet the demand for them, and Nintendo aren't giving a straight answer about their upcoming availability...Which makes some companies inflate the price of them since there is no set RRP in place from Nintendo.
It would help if Nintendo just made a big announcement saying "xxx Amiibo will/will not be discontinued yet and more will/will not be shipped out soon"

Last edited:
Eh... I'm not sure. I mean, since it adds to certain games, then yes, but there's only 3 games that use it right now. Once we get more games that use it, then yes, but right now it's worth about $7 if you ask me.

Just FTR, Places other than GAME sell amiibos. Check large supermarkets and toy stores. ~ A Smyths near me are still selling for ?11 each and they have Marth and Wii Fit Trainer still in stock. (I bought the last Villager last week though)

Personally I think they're worth it only if you would have wanted the figure of that character anyway. Anything AC related I'll blindly pay for, so that fact it does stuff in games too is huge bonus to me. But if you only want an amiibo to use in Smash, you're not missing out on much to be honest, and certainly not enough to warrant paying ?11. I've only used them twice and that was once when I got them - I played about 4 smash battles and that was it, then about the same again to show them to a friend who came round and we were playing.

If you're a hardcore nintendo nerd, I'd give it a shot and just pick up one, if not only for the purpose of having it.

I remember hearing that VAT isn't added to the price in the US, whilst in the UK the VAT is always included in the overall price. Not sure how true that is though.

I live in the US and I can say that I have no idea what VAT is.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Also posted this in another thread already, but I'll post it here too in case you didn't see the other one.
In case you haven't tried this yet, Play-Asia is selling all of the amiibos out right now (except Marth. Sorry if you're trying to get him.) They're only $20 each. $20 from a company that probably gets their amiibos from Nintendo directly is better than $70 from someone from Illinois that might give you a fake amiibo.

I live in the US and I can say that I have no idea what VAT is.

VAT = Value Added Tax.

To be honest, you probably don't have it in the US. It's just 'tax' added onto things for...Well...No real f***ing reason really. Why the hell am I getting taxed for video games and collectible figures?
Partly the reason why certain things cost a bit more in the UK than the US.

But I remember hearing about something 'vaguely similar' in the US that gets worked out in a different way. I
heard that years ago though and pretty much forgot what it is/was (since it's US and doesn't apply to me), so I'll definitely be unable to go into detail.

VAT = Value Added Tax.

To be honest, you probably don't have it in the US. It's just 'tax' added onto things for...Well...No real f***ing reason really. Why the hell am I getting taxed for video games and collectible figures?
Partly the reason why certain things cost a bit more in the UK than the US.

But I remember hearing about something 'vaguely similar' in the US that gets worked out in a different way. I
heard that years ago though and pretty much forgot what it is/was (since it's US and doesn't apply to me), so I'll definitely be unable to go into detail.

free healthcare

free healthcare

Yea, but they already charge tax on almost everything else. Surely that covers 'free health care'...

Besides, most of these things are classed as children's toys. I'm pretty sure children's toys at least WERE exempt from tax...

Yea, but they already charge tax on almost everything else. Surely that covers 'free health care'...

Besides, most of these things are classed as children's toys. I'm pretty sure children's toys at least WERE exempt from tax...

the queen needs a salary too

I have a Wii U but I haven't set mine up since my Brother has his one set up in our room.
We have all the Amiibo's from Wave 1 & 2, so mine are sitting here like figures, I can't complain.

But it does really effect what you're thinking of doing with them, otherwise we're just collecting them :>

Last edited:
Back