• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

April 2024: Nintendo will shut down online play and online communication for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U.

To be expected anyway, but still saddened by this info.

This hurts us AC:NL fans (Me included) the most as I happen to enjoy that game more than I do with New Horizons. I made an extra town back in 2021 and had some fond memories with it as well. Now I'm going to have to make some new friends on that game since I barely made any last year with my absence and all my old NL friends are gone.

I'm sure other means of online will be implemented in the future.

This is so disappointing. Like I said in another thread, I knew it would happen eventually, but given that last year they said they had no plans to remove the online servers, they sure turned that around quickly.

I had so much fun with NL - loads of memories with friends, Tortimer, trading, viewing islands... Most of my NH activity has been trading only. I'm just glad I was able to complete the catalog, including the 7-11 items.

For Pokémon, I'm really going to miss the Secret Bases from ORAS. I remember being the first in my friend group to have the golden flag, I spent ages checking out everyone's cool bases, even random ones I found online. The BDSP bases were an insult by comparison.

Is it really that much of a drain for the highest grossing media franchise in history to continue to support this though?
I think at this stage, they've realised they can charge for anything and that even if a few fans refuse to pay, the majority of them will fork over money for it eventually. It seems to be a running gag in some gaming communities that Pokémon fans will buy anything and defend the franchise regardless.

Speaking of - how long until HOME start removing Pokémon past the basic box after your premium account expires, do we think?

Well, guess I'm not getting any of the online related badges. Highly doubt I can host 100 visitors and visit 100 towns, let alone 500 of either.

Not surprised by this. The Switch sold so well, and the Wii U died almost immediately, so no big loss there IMO. The 3DS did live on for a little longer, but nowadays it’s a very old system to continue supporting. It will turn 14 years old (!!!) next year.

Online going away for New Leaf will suck, but I’d imagine hackers will find a 3rd party service to “keep it running” like with City Folk, though more limited I’d imagine.

It was a good run; too bad I jumped on the 3DS wagon at the tail end.

Not surprised by this. The Switch sold so well, and the Wii U died almost immediately, so no big loss there IMO. The 3DS did live on for a little longer, but nowadays it’s a very old system to continue supporting. It will turn 14 years old (!!!) next year.

Online going away for New Leaf will suck, but I’d imagine hackers will find a 3rd party service to “keep it running” like with City Folk, though more limited I’d imagine.

It was a good run; too bad I jumped on the 3DS wagon at the tail end.
Actually, it would’ve run for 13 years, which is just as long as the PlayStation 2’s run.

i knew it was gonna happen eventually and i even prepared myself but it still doesn't make it hurt any less :(

Be careful with the GTS in the 3DS games, the past few years they've been overrun with hacked Pokemon that'll freeze your system. Doubt there'll be many legit Pokemon from humans left.
Thank you for your concern but I'm aware of that, the hackers have overrun the Pokemon X and Y GTS too. I'm going to ask TBT members for the Pokemon I need instead.

That's what I was thinking would happen too. When do you think it'll happen?

That's what I was thinking would happen too. When do you think it'll happen?
I’d imagine after hearing this news they’re already trying to figure out how to “keep it running”. If I recall, it didn’t take long on the Wii, but it uses a different method to connect to the internet as it was released in the early days of WiFi.

I can't wait to be forced into playing online on New Horizons with nothing to do instead of being able to play island games on New Leaf. Another Nintendo L.
Mate, a good portion of those island games are just stuff you can do with a timer and an open mind in multiplayer anyway.

Fishing contest! Bug catching contest! Find as many flowers of a specific kind as you can! Hide and seek! Find the matching furniture! Everything except the Cornimer bashing game and the balloon-popping one.

(also, going by the release schedule for the next 5 months primarily consisting of remakes, the Switch’s lifespan is also nearly at its end… so the next AC game is also not far off)

Very upset. Tbh 90% of the reason I come back to NL after several months of not playing is to go onto club tortimer and for the dream suite. I can’t imagine how after voiding so many of these fun features the game will feel. Yes it’s still fun designing a town but IMO what’s the point if you can’t share a DA/ have visitors over. New leaf easily has the best features for online play and can’t really compare to NH imo :(

Dang, this happened a lot sooner than I expected. Especially since Nintendo was just saying they had "no plans" to do so anytime soon. Great communication with your players there. I haven't played New Leaf in a good while now, but I really loved visiting players' dream addresses when I did. It's a shame they're only going to exist in Youtube tours and such soon. 😟 I feel bad for anyone just getting into the game or rediscovering it—I only got New Leaf just before New Horizons came out myself.
I'm not someone who used online features very much in games, but when I was playing Style Savvy: Styling Star I really enjoyed creating/browsing custom clothes on the player market, and visiting other players' boutiques and taking photos with them. It's sad that's not going to be possible for much longer.

I'm also annoyed that this means the only way to play Nintendo games online with others will be through the paid NSO service. It makes online play inaccessible to a lot of people, and let's be real, Nintendo wouldn't be working at a loss by hosting it for free.

It really feels like the end of an era.

My friends and I already scheduled a time to multiplayer on ACNL again after hearing this 😭 A lot of my old Fantasy Life buddies also messaged me about playing a new save together before it goes dead. 3DS was definitely my favorite console, at least the one with the most memories attached to it.

Kinda crazy to me that they would do this, but I guess they can't keep it going forever! I haven't played New Leaf in about 6 years but this news makes me sad still. I also really loved trading Pokémon with random people in Pokémon X/Y.. ahhhh RIP 3DS online. 😔

This is so disappointing. Like I said in another thread, I knew it would happen eventually, but given that last year they said they had no plans to remove the online servers, they sure turned that around quickly.

I had so much fun with NL - loads of memories with friends, Tortimer, trading, viewing islands... Most of my NH activity has been trading only. I'm just glad I was able to complete the catalog, including the 7-11 items.

For Pokémon, I'm really going to miss the Secret Bases from ORAS. I remember being the first in my friend group to have the golden flag, I spent ages checking out everyone's cool bases, even random ones I found online. The BDSP bases were an insult by comparison.

I think at this stage, they've realised they can charge for anything and that even if a few fans refuse to pay, the majority of them will fork over money for it eventually. It seems to be a running gag in some gaming communities that Pokémon fans will buy anything and defend the franchise regardless.

Speaking of - how long until HOME start removing Pokémon past the basic box after your premium account expires, do we think?

Get your Blissey bases while you still can. The ORAS bases were top-tier.

Back