Anyone here a rock music expert?

Monster

Bells
Winter Mittens
I have a project to do and our group chose a "rock" theme.

Anyways, unfortunately, I don't know much about rock and I really want to contribute. What I am looking for are some quotes from famous songs that have to do with the quote "Some of rock's crippled lyrics seem almost abstract in their quest through the chaos of personal love".

You don't have to give me specific quotes, but I am looking for somewhere to start my search. Thank you.

Last edited:
this might sound dumb but I have a hard time reading what people mean.
does personal love mean love for ones self or love life in general.
too much of a literal person

this might sound dumb but I have a hard time reading what people mean.
does personal love mean love for ones self or love life in general.
too much of a literal person

This wasn't a dumb question at all. I copied this quote from Packard and even I don't know what it means. I am assuming this is about love for other people/things.

man whoever wrote that question doesn't know what they're asking.
and it's also kind of rude in implying that all rock music is warped or something??
but I mean don't argue with the teacher that never goes well.
uhh the only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be something from alice coopers welcome to my nightmare album
which i'm not really a fan of.
or a lot of pink floyd lyrics if it doesn't have to be a romantic sort of love but just for other people in general.
Or tool. tool is good.

I am here for you, I know a ton about rock music.

I'm not sure what this quote is supposed to mean. I can give you a few good lyrics.

"The time to hesitate is true
No time to wallow in the mire
Try now we could only lose
And our love become a funeral pyre"
- Light My Fire (The Doors)

"I see a red door and I want it painted black
No colors anymore, I want them painted black
I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes
I have to turn my head until my darkness grows"
-Paint It Black (Rolling Stones)

"But you know, honey I'll always
I'll always be around if you ever want me
Come on, and cry, cry baby"
-Cry Baby (Janis Joplin)

Those were all I can think of for right now. If you need more, I'm happy to help :)

Last edited:
man whoever wrote that question doesn't know what they're asking.
and it's also kind of rude in implying that all rock music is warped or something??
but I mean don't argue with the teacher that never goes well.
uhh the only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be something from alice coopers welcome to my nightmare album
which i'm not really a fan of.
or a lot of pink floyd lyrics if it doesn't have to be a romantic sort of love but just for other people in general.
Or tool. tool is good.

Thanks! I found a great quote from Alice Cooper, thanks!

I am here for you, I know a ton about rock music.

I'm not sure what this quote is supposed to mean. I can give you a few good lyrics.

"The time to hesitate is true
No time to wallow in the mire
Try now we could only lose
And our love become a funeral pyre"
- Light My Fire (The Doors)

"I see a red door and I want it painted black
No colors anymore, I want them painted black
I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes
I have to turn my head until my darkness grows"
-Paint It Black (Rolling Stones)

"But you know, honey I'll always
I'll always be around if you ever want me
Come on, and cry, cry baby"
-Cry Baby (Janis Joplin)

Those were all I can think of for right now. If you need more, I'm happy to help :)

Wow, thank you so much. Will definitely check these quotes out, thanks again! :)

Do you know what bands the teacher likes? If so, be sure to mention them somewhere.

Bands to look into:
Fleetwood Mac - married band members breaking up yet staying as a band
Eric Clapton's "Layla"
Nirvana

David Byrne, a member of the Talking Heads, wrote a book on music: How Music Works:
http://www.amazon.com/How-Music-Works-David-Byrne/dp/1938073533

Watching the movie High Fielity - a movie about a record store owner - based on the book by Nick Hornsby. Some good quotes in there about music, mixtapes and love.

PM me if you have specific questions, but I think the other members had some great quotes!

Last edited:
Almost anything from Led Zeppelin. Lots of songs about cheating/love gone bad. I also agree with the song "Layla", definitely look into who that song was written for ;p

Yea.. Layla is so good though. But yeah I'd recommend looking into late 60s/early 70s psychedelic rock things, they have a lot of nice stuff.

Or any of Yoko Ono's stuff, they're good.

"There's something I must tell you. There's something I must say. The only really perfect love is one that gets away."

Perfect Love by The Residents.

"Some of rock's crippled lyrics seem almost abstract in their quest through the chaos of personal love".

Not sure what that's supposed to mean.

I don't really listen to the lyrics in songs that much (they're like 'fluff' for the instrumentals for me) so I can't recommend much, though I would go for Nirvana?

I don't really like them, but from what I've heard (aside from the obvious 'smells like teen spirit') their lyrics are pretty 'abstract'.

I interpreted the question as they were looking for songs on the theme of love but the lyrics don't make that blindly obvious.

Check out Radiohead's In Rainbows - the song Nude and Weird Fishes/Arpeggi particularly, it's electronic/art/experimental rock and the whole album takes a detour from their usual subject matter and is more based on 'being human', to quote the bassist. Some of the songs are pretty obvious in their lyrics - All I Need and House Of Cards, but the two I mentioned above certainly are not. Nude is about adultery/general hopelessness and Weird Fishes/Arpeggi is kind of a whole-song metaphor for falling in love.

I wouldn't say I'm a rock expert. Fan, and pop rock expert, but sorry, I'm not much help lol

How is the project going?

After you turn the project in I would love to know what you get for a grade.

This teacher's description of the assignment is "abstract" lol

What decade rock are you looking at primarily?

I was looking for any decade to be honest. The project didn't really specify anything.

How is the project going?

After you turn the project in I would love to know what you get for a grade.

This teacher's description of the assignment is "abstract" lol

The project is going great. I actually met my group yesterday to do sketch our poster and everything and all is well. I would like to thank everyone for contributing suggestions and I pretty much used virtually everyone's suggestions plus a few of my own.

I will tell you what I get for a grade, but I think this project is one of those "everyone i an A as long as you put effort" kinds of things.

Sounds like a fun project though. Wish we had more of those back in school really. Only thing we like ever did was some boring facts thing in English during like, 8th or 9th grade lol.

Back