• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Anyone heard about Ralph Baer?

Bells
Astral Inner Planet Floating Gold #10
Pear (Fruit)
Cake
Red Candy
Small Mailbox
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
Popsicle (TBT Beach Party)
I recently learned that the father of video games, Ralph Baer died on Saturday. He was 92 years old. Did anyone else hear about this? What are your thoughts about this?

I recently learned that the father of video games, Ralph Baer died on Saturday. He was 92 years old. Did anyone else hear about this? What are your thoughts about this?

Is he actually the 'farther' of video games? I was under the impression that he was just the creator of the home console, but not gaming itself.

Regardless, the man was pretty cool. Aside from setting the foundation for future consoles (and thus, a large portion of my life), he also created other well known stuff like 'Simon'. I watched some interview thing with him and he was creating toys and games all the way up to his death. It's nice when somebody is like that and likes to 'create' regardless of the money and obviously just enjoys doing it.

I believe he's only accredited the title for making the Magnavox Odyssey, thus launching the home console race in a way and effectively bringing about gaming as we know it today.

Back