• LIVE A gaming event as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 is currently being livestreamed on TBT's Twitch channel here -- spectators who chat on Discord can earn points too!
  • TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Anyone else think it's weird to have an In-Game "Mom"?

not really, i think its cute! what i don’t like is how your in-game “dad” writes to you only writes to you on fathers’ day :/ idk if thats true in this game tho

In New Leaf I've noticed that one of my characters receives more letters from Dad than my other chatacters. Even last year on Father's day that character receive the letter from Dad, but the other received it from Mom 🤣

yeah its weird bc my mom plays the game with me and its like "i miss you" ok but ur literally right next to me? ur house is really close to mine?
I'm super annoying with my bf like that especially that we're together 24/7 now 🤭

He'll be chilling playing his games and im over here like i miss u
oag.png

lol now that you mention it I dont really like it. I've never been attached to the whole "mails from mom" concept either. It's almost a little immersion breaking since my mom only speaks korean and my character is essentially me

Can't you change your language in-game through the Switch? Anyway, I don't mind it. I get goodies from my video game mom. Now, if only dad would send me some mail.

Lol I thought this thread was going to be about having a villager you think of as being your mom, LOL! I was going to say, the closest thing I had to that was in New Leaf was when Curt felt like a dad to me. (In the least creepy way possible.)

But honestly, I find the concept of having an in-game mom a little... jarring? Idk. Like, what about people who have two dads, or abusive mothers? Or even dead mothers... (Although, I could see how this could be special for some people with dead mothers, but it could be unnededly emotional for others.)

Doesn't bother me at all. I view it as my character's mom rather than my own mom. It's sweet.

I dont find it weird, but i cant say that i like it. I found her letters boring in nl and i dont read them in nh. Like just give me the good gifts and leave me alone mom, i travelled all the way to an isolated island fo a reason.

This might get really uh... Deep and Personal for a moment... But...

I really love getting the letters from Mom in game.
I save all of them.

I've always sort of found a sort of comfort in them, throughout all of the games...
Which I think probably runs back to the fact that my actual mother wasn't really there...?

Guess that might be a bit strange... But they do make me smile <3

i'm also someone who has been used to mama and papa sending you mail since the gc version : i think it's super cute! for most of the series, your character's a human kid who happened to move into a funky lil' animal town, so of course their mom ( and occasionally pop ) would want to send in mail to make sure their kid's doing okay. i think it's super sweet. ♥️

My mom irl is NOTHING like the mom in the game HAHA. Good thing my island rep has a background story completely surrounding their good relationship with their mama

i think it’s sort of sweet. i don’t see my character as myself, it’s a character with a different life that i can play as but it’s not like i would say my character’s mom is my mom. so basically i don’t think it’s very weird. it would feel a little weird if you moved to an uninhabited island and no one from the outside ever sent you messages

I don't find it weird because I know she's not my real mom, just some lady I met on a dating website who doxxed me for my address. It's perfectly natural.

I have an incredibly bad relationship with my mother in real life, so the in-game mom feels a little bittersweet. I find her letters to be cute but they also make me a little sad. ; v ; I keep everything she gives me though even though I have so many dupes, just because I get super sentimental about them.

I am used to any in game avatar not being me really, so I don’t mind at all. It is the mother of the character I’m playing, and it’s nice to know someone is looking out for her, even when I’m not playing

It's always weirded me out also! It makes me overthink the game a little bit! I start wondering things about where we came from, how old we are, why we never write our parents back...
It's supposed to be lighthearted, but it's always seemed strange to me.

It makes me so sad! My mom and dad are at home and I never visit/write back :cry::cry:

Back