• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

anyone else never happy with their island?

I almost restarted my island out of the stress of trying to move villager houses around them not lining up properly, but I quickly realised a better way of doing it and thankfully that stopped me. I don't think I'll be truly happy with my island until I start terraforming, but still got some work to do until then. I'm not good at decorating though, so it might just prove more stressful.

Yes- but I felt with feeling that way in New Leaf. For me a lot of it is I've done a forest town. I've done a zen town. I've made a urban town. I've made a cute town in new leaf. I always sold or scrapped them.
I dont want to remake that stuff in New Horizons.
I dont know what I really want to do. I had some ideas but those didnt work out because of where resident services is and no artwork now (yeah yeah update) so idk.
I remind myself chill out and just play normally go fishing be slow.

Me. I’m never happy with what I create in animal crossing games. I had the same problem in NL. But honestly? I just deal with it, accept that I’m never going to be happy and just leave it like it is.

i’m the same way. i’m nowhere near being finished and it’s still a lot more developed than my new leaf town was but i always feel inferior when i see everybody else’s island that looks so nice and put together so soon ;u;

It is difficult to see people post their amazing islands online, and then feel like mine is bland. I’m not a big decorator in Animal Crossing, since I’m a fan of the classic AC wild town feel. But it can still make me feel like my islands are “lesser,” even though I’m just going with my own preference.

It’s also hard for me to do any decorating or building in a game when I can’t have a full overhead view.

I'm never happy with my island until eventually I am. It's overwhelming starting out. You have this blank slate and more customization options than we've ever had in an ac before. Some people are coming up with amazing results, and if you're looking at those results while you're still in the early stages, I can totally understand being discouraged. Like other people have said: take it in sections. I had no idea what I wanted to do with my island. Then I made a shopping center. I liked how it turned out, and it gave me an idea for the aesthetic I wanted to go with for the airport, which turned out awful. So I came back to it later when I had a new idea and changed it again. Now the airport is my favorite thing that I've done so far in this game. The awesome thing about acnh is that you can redo pretty much everything. So try things out! See what works, maybe something will and it will inspire other ideas. Maybe it won't and that's fine because now you can try something completely new:)

I'm guessing plenty of the owners of those amazing towns had some sort of process. You're just seeing the "after" photos. It's easy to see someone achieve something you're struggling with and decide "well I guess they're just naturally amazing and I'm not". I do it too sometimes. But maybe they hated their towns at some point. There could have been a lot of frustration and feelings like what you describe that took place between landing on their island and posting those gorgeous photos.

Last edited:
Not the case with my island.

People with perfect island pretty much all have similar design. Arch right in front of the airport and etc... What I'm building with my island is unique and I haven't seen anyone yet with my design philosophy.

My island will be a fantasy/natural...something I can't give away my secret yet. But when its all done, its going to be so different from every other island I have seen so far. Well considering I remove all my cliffs, rivers, and ponds and starting the map from scratch with the perfect river mouth location, I say there a lot of effort put into it. I don't think people with perfect town put in the effort to start from scratch since that wouldn't be fun.

I’m never happy with mine :c I’ve changed my layout three times now, and whenever I post pics online, people seem to really like it but I don’t know, nothing’s clicked for me yet ;-;

I’ve been taking my time in designing my island taking it one day at a time. Honestly I think it’s just best to go with the flow and not overthink it to much when terraforming.

Just have a general idea of what you want an area to be and just go with it. You can always change it back or move stuff to another area if you don’t like it.

i think it's normal to look at a 'perfect' island on social media and feel inadequate about your own island. it's important to keep in mind the time and energy that those people put into their island. a lot of these islands took dozens upon dozens of hours to design and put together.

there's a sort of 'ugly phase' in animal crossing where your town/island is half baked and it's just... kinda... messy. i've found it helpful to break the island up into smaller areas and work on those first and then try to piece it all together.

and like many others have said, its ~your~ island so don't be too hard on yourself.

I think I'm happy with it even if it's not like "youtube worthy" because I worked hard and made sure my islanders are comfy. It's not perfect but I only do what I think it's a "me" thing to do. Like making dumb heart ponds.

I'm a perfectionist to my own detriment. I worry and stress and have genuine anxiety from things that I know are petty and silly, but I can't control it very well. I definitely constantly walk through the sections of my island I've developed and try to get a feel if I'm satisfied.

So far it's been relatively good stress-wise, but the bushes kind of threw me for a loop and I will have to go back and adjust some things. I'll find a way, though, and so far I'm more content with my town than I ever was in New Leaf.

It's so silly the more I think about it, because it's not like I ever post picture of my town. It's all meant to be for my own enjoyment, so why do I even care?

Comparison is the killer of joy. I understand where those feelings come from, we all have probably experienced them at some point, especially with all the buzz on social media. We need to accept that these feelings are normal, without holding onto them, though. The latter will get us nowhere. It has helped me to ask myself "Is that what you want?"

I agree with what others have said before me: Find what feels good to you and take it step by step. Rome wasn't built in one day and neither was "Perfectly Themed YouTube/Twitter/Instagram Island"... My personal take on this: Going to the amusement park is fun, but I don't want carousels in my living room. I want my island to be a place I'd like to hang out in and not "what people may want to see"...

It's different for everyone. Maybe this helps, maybe it doesn't. If not, you can still take all those videos and pictures to get inspired! :blush:

Haha yes and seeing other peoples stuff makes me feel so bad uuuugh

I admit that I sometimes get a bit jealousy about other people's islands, as they come up with such amazing ideas. Then again, I'm happy with what I create, even if it may not looks so stunning.

No. Like there is some really good islands I've seen but maybe I'm just trained not to compare my work to others. I'm actually really happy how my island is slowly turning out to be.

Plus I'm going a whole different route than what I had in ACNL, and I'm planning on using custom designs I create, so it's actually very exciting for me.

I was finally beginning to really like my island, but now I'll have to tear all of it down again because I need my bushes so rip.

Definitely same I just don't have creativity tbh... I'm sure your island is lovely and it's okay if its a work in progress! Change it until you feel content with it and I'm sure you'll eventually reach that point ^^ <33

No, I think I'm happy with mine so far even if it doesn't look as good as the islands on youtube because I have been working very hard terraforming my island, decorating and moving buildings and am excited to see how it will look in the end as it slowly comes together.

I’m never happy with it for one giant reason. Flowers. They keep replicating. They are worst than weeds but they are too pretty to destroy or sell. I plant a few in one area and now they cover the whole area/acre. I think it’s also why my island is unfinished or atleast have not progressed as far in development as it should be since I don’t want to touch or remove the pretty pretty flowers.

Back