Any tips to get someone like me to exercise?

BobRocks20

Wowzers!
Bells
Switch
0557-5119-2409
Blue Hybrid Violet
Rotating Fool's Egg
Tasty Cake
Apple (Fruit)
I'm trying to get myself to exercise beyond PE classes so I can be more healthy but I have a problem. Actually, a lot.

The one I'm most concerned about is my privacy, because exercise involves a lot of moving and I have this massive fear that someone might walk in and spot me doing funny movements. When this happens I feel embarrassed for no reason. I've been also trying to get started by buying Ring Fit Adventure for my Switch but no one will let me get it because they say that exercising with video games isn't real exercising. So instead of exercising, I just end up vegging out because of these factors.

I know y'all are different from me but perhaps any tips and tricks and stuff would be great. Thanks!

I’d suggest martial arts. I’ll be honest, my main intention for signing up was for self-confidence. I was being bullied in high school and martial arts helped me with that. I don’t trust myself in a fight unfortunately, but I’m a more confident person now. A few other things contributed to my confidence, but martial arts helped me get out of the rut in high school. My martial arts school was the only place I felt confident.

You’d be with other people, but everyone would have pretty much the same goals (ie: to learn how to defend yourself or for self-confidence). I’ll tell you that martial arts does help with low self-esteem and the people who practice have a certain kind of maturity, very different from those you’ll find at the gym.

Croconaw has a very good suggestion! Martial arts is a great idea!

I also want to add yoga as well. It's not a traditional workout but I've lost lots of weight doing it. It also lets you get closer with your body and makes you appreciate what it can do and be gentle with what it can't. It's great for stretching and helping with body aches/pains. Yoga has weird poses but you can do it in the comfort of your own bedroom with the door shut so nobody has to see.

When this happens I feel embarrassed for no reason. I've been also trying to get started by buying Ring Fit Adventure for my Switch but no one will let me get it because they say that exercising with video games isn't real exercising. So instead of exercising, I just end up vegging out because of these factors.
I wasn't going to post again so shortly, but I feel the need to comment on this in particular. Exercising with video games is a form exercise. You not being at the gym doesn't invalidate it as exercise. Who says exercising can't be fun? I presume your parents are thinking "video games are fun so you can't possibly be exercising if you're having fun. I'm not sure about Ring Fit Adventure as I've never even heard of it, but I know the Wii Sports games are great for exercise.

I want to reference a moment from the movie "Karate Kid." Daniel was doing all kinds of chores, cleaning for Mr. Miyagi. Daniel was upset because he didn't realize what that had to do with martial arts, but later realized it was a form of exercise nonetheless. Not all exercise has to be "going to the gym." Almost anything can be exercise if you have the mind to see it as such. I say almost, because of course, reading a book for example wouldn't count. However, certain video games can definitely help you.

Thirding the martial arts idea. I've done martial arts for over 15 years now and still enjoy it. It's one of the few things I'm passionate about in life.

Additionally, if you have any sidewalks or trails near where you live you could always just go running or walking on them. And if there's an exercise room in your house, you can exercise there without having to fear people judging you.

Hoping this helps! Gyms can be pretty hit or miss with people, but thankfully I found a really good one a couple months ago.

I have Ring Fit Adventure and…it can be an intense workout. You have to defeat the enemies with sit-ups, squats, etc. and do a certain amount in a row. Otherwise I was also jogging in place. I haven’t played it in a while, but when I do, I’ll be sure to wear workout clothes.

But on a more serious note, I would suggest taking walks, doing yoga, and maybe lifting some weights. I have never done martial arts, but I’ve heard good things about it. Qigong also works as a cool-down meditation, if you’re into that.

I also dance for exercise. I don’t take classes or anything, but I love listening to fast-paced music. Even if you don’t dance, music is definitely a plus for exercising.

Hope these help!

I've had the same concerns before getting a space to myself, and it's definitely a killer for motivation. So a few things that I try to do:
  • Leg lifts while lying in bed: these are sort of easy to do even when you wake up but don't really want to get up yet! You can also do these with your knees bent, which helps prime you for situps.
  • Leg lifts while sitting in a chair: just extending your legs out and holding it. Even if people see you doing them, it sort of just looks like you're swinging your legs or fidgeting anyways.
  • If you lie in bed and play games: forearm planks.
  • If you're able to get a dumbbell or something, then having that nearby so you can do curls while doing other things is helpful too. I feel like having a dumbbell in hand is a little less weird for people to see compared to yoga poses and stuff.
None of these are really like 'full on workouts' or anything, but something is better than nothing in the end!

Also, keep in mind that exercise comes in many forms: even just going for walks is good exercise, and better than doing nothing. I like to try to use more 'passive' exercises when possible -- things like using stairs instead of escalators/elevators, carrying things around, walking/biking to places instead of driving (if it's within like 30 minutes), etc.

(RFA is also really good and really fun -- I hope you'll be able to get it someday! I think it's a nice and fun way to exercise and learn different things.)

Swimming, if you can swim, is actually really good exercise because you're moving a lot of your body when doing it. It is something I plan to do more off.

I have been trying to do more exercise, and when I am focusing on specific areas of exercise; one thing I always like to do is those Japanese Morning exercises - stretches before i start.
If it more comfortable, to do so, maybe have something on your door to say you're exercising and not to come in or something like that? If you can express the awkardness of someone coming in while you're in the middle of it, your family may understand.
Even going out with friends to play sport you're all into is fun.

Excerise shouldn't be uncomfortable, or stressful, it should be fun, and remember to take breaks and drink water~

ohh another one that came to mind, if you have access to a place that does rock climbing, if comfortable with that sort of thing. I did it years ago, and completetly didnt realise you need to use more of your leg muscles then your arms, and my arms were completely dead for more than two weeks DX

Although Wii Fit didn't necessarily keep me fit for the long term, it certainly educated me on health and fitness. 🧘‍♂️ So keep that in mind when trying various suggestions: they may not be as effective as you might hope, but it certainly adds some knowledge and experience you can apply elsewhere, I'd say! 💡🎲

Yeah, I've been shy with jogging outside the neighborhood and having my neighbors see me but it's certainly nothing to be embarassed about. It's no different than riding your bike on a nice day. Once you do it more and more, you'll be less shy about it. So what what other people think anyways? Your doing it for you and your well being. If they say something dumb about it, don't let it stop you. Chances are people won't even make a big deal about it though. They'll actually be supportive of you! Another thing, do as much as you can for each day. If you can only run for 10-15 minutes, that's fine because hey, it's better than nothing right? Tomorrow will always be a new day, so the more you run, the longer you can do it for. You could also do indoor activities. I don't know how how old you are but if you are old enough to lift weights and you have equipment at home, you could do that. I'd also highly recommend eating vegetables for more energy. They always help me when I'm low on it.

Hey, look out, because I've got a lot to comment on here. Quoting is somewhat out of order for personal layout reasons.

I’d suggest martial arts. I’ll be honest, my main intention for signing up was for self-confidence. I was being bullied in high school and martial arts helped me with that. I don’t trust myself in a fight unfortunately, but I’m a more confident person now. A few other things contributed to my confidence, but martial arts helped me get out of the rut in high school. My martial arts school was the only place I felt confident.

You’d be with other people, but everyone would have pretty much the same goals (ie: to learn how to defend yourself or for self-confidence). I’ll tell you that martial arts does help with low self-esteem and the people who practice have a certain kind of maturity, very different from those you’ll find at the gym.
Croconaw has a very good suggestion! Martial arts is a great idea!
Thirding the martial arts idea. I've done martial arts for over 15 years now and still enjoy it. It's one of the few things I'm passionate about in life.
I have never done martial arts, but I’ve heard good things about it. Qigong also works as a cool-down meditation, if you’re into that.
Ooh, martial arts! Good one. Seeing you all talk about that brought me back to that first part of "PaRappa the Rapper" where PaRappa goes to Chop Chop Master Onion to learn self-defense so he can "become a hero". Kick, punch, it's all in the mind! Tamanegi-sensei helped him a lot, so I'll give this a shot and see how it goes. I managed to get my parents to sign up for a summer program today so I hope it goes well.
Qigong isn't really my thing but thank you for suggesting that, QueenCobra.

I also want to add yoga as well. It's not a traditional workout but I've lost lots of weight doing it. It also lets you get closer with your body and makes you appreciate what it can do and be gentle with what it can't. It's great for stretching and helping with body aches/pains. Yoga has weird poses but you can do it in the comfort of your own bedroom with the door shut so nobody has to see.
Yoga's another good one. I'll look into it, thank you!

I have Ring Fit Adventure and…it can be an intense workout. You have to defeat the enemies with sit-ups, squats, etc. and do a certain amount in a row. Otherwise I was also jogging in place. I haven’t played it in a while, but when I do, I’ll be sure to wear workout clothes.
(RFA is also really good and really fun -- I hope you'll be able to get it someday! I think it's a nice and fun way to exercise and learn different things.)
Now that I think about it, I'll have to consider trying the game out after I ease myself into exercising more. It still looks like it'd be worth it for me though. Thanks!

I want to reference a moment from the movie "Karate Kid." Daniel was doing all kinds of chores, cleaning for Mr. Miyagi. Daniel was upset because he didn't realize what that had to do with martial arts, but later realized it was a form of exercise nonetheless. Not all exercise has to be "going to the gym." Almost anything can be exercise if you have the mind to see it as such. I say almost, because of course, reading a book for example wouldn't count. However, certain video games can definitely help you.
Also, keep in mind that exercise comes in many forms: even just going for walks is good exercise, and better than doing nothing. I like to try to use more 'passive' exercises when possible -- things like using stairs instead of escalators/elevators, carrying things around, walking/biking to places instead of driving (if it's within like 30 minutes), etc.
One time I was about to walk out of the school campus to go home when I realized that I had forgotten something in one of my classes! The classroom was far away so I had to run for a while to get there, roller-bag and all. I remember feeling irritated so I told myself that at least I was getting more exercise. It kind of helped (even though my mood wasn't any better), but with what you said, maybe I should treat each movement I make as an exercise more? I hope I'm getting it right. Either way, thank you for the information!

Swimming, if you can swim, is actually really good exercise because you're moving a lot of your body when doing it. It is something I plan to do more off.
I took swimming classes when I was little and more recently we had a swimming unit in PE last year. It's pretty fun, except I don't like it when the pool water is cold and I don't like it more when I get out of the pool and I'm shivering. I might try not to let those bother me if I ever decide to continue swimming, which is going to be a challenge.

I have been trying to do more exercise, and when I am focusing on specific areas of exercise; one thing I always like to do is those Japanese Morning exercises - stretches before i start.
ACNH has an option for group stretches, so I can try those out as an equivalent to your "Japanese Morning exercises". I'll get rewards for doing more stretches and I can be one step closer to completing one of my Nook Mile Achievements this way! Win-win! But I can only do this on the weekend; on the weekdays, I don't have my Switch.

If it more comfortable, to do so, maybe have something on your door to say you're exercising and not to come in or something like that? If you can express the awkardness of someone coming in while you're in the middle of it, your family may understand.
I haven't thought of that, honestly! I'm still nervous about the sign thing but I'll try it and see what happens. Thank you for the suggestion!

ohh another one that came to mind, if you have access to a place that does rock climbing, if comfortable with that sort of thing. I did it years ago, and completetly didnt realise you need to use more of your leg muscles then your arms, and my arms were completely dead for more than two weeks DX
I don't know of any places with a rock climbing program near me. However, I remember doing that in PE. It's pretty fun, but not something I'd be willing to do again.

Yeah, I've been shy with jogging outside the neighborhood and having my neighbors see me but it's certainly nothing to be embarassed about. It's no different than riding your bike on a nice day. Once you do it more and more, you'll be less shy about it. [...] I don't know how how old you are but if you are old enough to lift weights and you have equipment at home, you could do that. I'd also highly recommend eating vegetables for more energy. They always help me when I'm low on it.
I can't go outside because of stranger danger, unfortunately... And I'm a high school student BTW. We did weight-lifting in PE and it was one of my favorite units. I can't be bothered to buy weights, though. Where am I supposed to put them when they're not being used?
As for the vegetables, I'll just have to tell my parents to consider putting more carrots and broccoli (these are the only two vegetables I, a picky eater, can tolerate) in my lunch and dinner, because I can't cook yet. Thank you, anyway!

I wasn't going to post again so shortly, but I feel the need to comment on this in particular. Exercising with video games is a form exercise. You not being at the gym doesn't invalidate it as exercise. Who says exercising can't be fun? I presume your parents are thinking "video games are fun so you can't possibly be exercising if you're having fun. I'm not sure about Ring Fit Adventure as I've never even heard of it, but I know the Wii Sports games are great for exercise.
Oh, I'm pretty sure that's not what they meant. I apologize for the wording in the original post. They don't like it because Ring Fit Adventure is a video game and they think negatively of video games for obvious reasons. We have Wii Sports though, I remember playing that with my parents when I was little but we don't do that as much now. I think the reason why they won't let me get Ring Fit Adventure is because they're worried I might get more addicted to games than I already am, which is a valid point IMO.

Although Wii Fit didn't necessarily keep me fit for the long term, it certainly educated me on health and fitness. 🧘‍♂️ So keep that in mind when trying various suggestions: they may not be as effective as you might hope, but it certainly adds some knowledge and experience you can apply elsewhere, I'd say! 💡🎲
Good point! I believe it doesn't hurt to try everything, which is why I signed up for martial arts. I know you usually remind me of one of those class clowns in school, so I'm glad to see you being helpful for once. Thank you!

Once again, thank you all for providing me with those tips! I'll keep this thread bookmarked for future reference :D

Back