• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

An Ode to Cranky Villagers

cherrytart

Bells
Oh cranky villagers, how I miss you. Yes, you're there in New Leaf, but you'll never be the same. How I miss the days of being told off by Butch, pissing off Rolf, or choosing my words with Roscoe wisely. Sure, to some they may have seemed rude or off putting, but their brutal honesty could be refreshing among the ever cheery preppy villagers, or the excessively pumped jocks. The best part of cranky villagers, of course, was breaking through their cold exterior. Befriending a cranky remains, in my opinion, one of the most rewarding parts of any Animal Crossing game. Even New Leaf, as watered down as they are. Nothing felt better than finally getting through to the mean old horse, tiger, or wolf I had generally avoided were they not the only character around. Especially playing as a little kid. I loved the protective nature the villagers took on once I got a higher friendship level with them. It was truly a reward for my hard work. But the cranky villagers in New Leaf are more mildly inconvenienced than cranky.

I recently hit a higher friendship level with Knox and Cyrano. While Knox has taken on a more caring nature toward me, the change in personality is nowhere near as rewarding as it would have been in a previous game like Wild World.

And so I beg you, hypothetical Nintendo employee, bring back the old cranky (and snooty) villagers. The ones who bullied the heck out of us, but we loved them anyway. I'm sure our grumpy friends would agree, a little bit of berating from virtual animals builds character.

I hear you.

They aren't even cranky now, they're pathetic and simple.

I can't stand what the game makers have done to their personalites.

They are all the same drooling zombies.

Haha! "Mildly inconvenienced."

I like the crankies, but I think they should bring back the old cranky personalities and just rename what's going on now. They seem really laid back and mild now. I appreciate it and how sweet they are, but I miss the old dynamics of how personalities used to work. There doesn't seem to be much needing to warm up the animals to you anymore.

Back