• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

ACNH Glitch Discussion & Troubleshooting

virtualpet

Anomaly
Bells
Switch
4729-3336-4497
Sheep Plush
Yellow Star Fragment
Red Star Fragment
Green Star Fragment
Blue Star Fragment
Purple Star Fragment
Mom's Plush
Was sitting on it for a couple days before deciding to just go ahead and make a thread for discussing glitches in ACNH. We have noticed people seem to also be running into some with no idea of how to fix them or people spreading misinformation, so we decided to go ahead and make a thread for both discussing glitches and explaining how to fix them.

Glitches in video games have been a lot time interest of ours and we've always had a weird knack for accidentally running into them (number one beta tester woo). We love learning about how they work, what they do, and generally just find them fascinating. However, we're also someone who has both intrusive thoughts and hyperempathy, and claims that just breathing at your game wrong can cause us to feel genuine panic and anxiety. From both these things we're used to doing research into glitches both because of personal interest and to ease anxiety.

If you'd like to report something, discuss a glitch you think is interesting, want us to look into or verify something, or need help with fixing a glitch, come on down!

We don't condone the use of glitches to harm others or for malicious intent. The purpose of this thread is to help people and prevent unnecessary panic every time a new glitch is discovered or if someone stumbles across one.

IMPORTANT said:
Treat glitch report and claims with some skepticism. Look for:
  • Is it being reported by a reputable source? Check for reports in the Nintendo Support Forums in particular and check to make sure that the source and/or person reporting is someone trustworthy.
  • What are the claimed effects? Be aware that for most people having their islands being reset or deleted is the worse case scenario, and because of that people may spread the claim that it is the effect of any glitch without it being true.
  • It can also help to ask "What might someone gain faking reporting this?"
  • Don't look at just TBT for information, try to look elsewhere if possible.

...​

Known Glitches [Not Patched]
Glitches that are confirmed not patched in the latest update will go here.

Inside villager holding outdoor tools.
Description: Villager can be seen holding tools inside they they shouldn't, such as fishing rods.
Known Causes: None currently known.
Known Harm: None currently known.
Known Fixes: Leaving the villager's house and then coming back.
Sources: Post by AccfSally

...​

Known Glitches [May Be Patched]
It is currently not known if these glitches have been patched in the latest version.

Can't enter villager house.
Last Reported: 1.2.0
Description: Villager will be locked in their house and the door won't be able to be interacted with. Tools like bug nets will hit the door, while tools like shovel will not be activated.
Known Causes: Possibly caused by having more than one account registered to an island and a new villager being added, but thus far it this does not fully apply to every case.
Known Harm: Nothing permanent beyond the initial effects of a villager house not working until the system is reset.
Known Fixes: Restarting your entire Switch, not just the game.
Sources: Nintendo Support, Reddit, Game FAQs

Dead Path Tiles Under Building
Description: Placing buildings such as homes or shops over path tiles causes the tiles to be glitched, they can't be removed or changed and items can't be placed on them.
Known Causes: Seems to be random and caused by putting a building on paths.
Known Harm: Paths cannot be removed or changed and items can't be placed on the paths.
Known Fixes: Adding more paths of the same kind around the dead tiles so it connects and then removing them. Note that various reports say that moving the buildings does not fix the glitch.
Sources: Nintendo Support, Reddit, post by Rez

Online play resulting in save file corruption.
Description: During unknown circumstances, visiting other players online may result in the visitor's save file being wiped.
Known Causes: Only occurs when playing with other players online. Could possibly be caused by force ending a session, but not confirmed.
Known Harm: Save data corruption.
Known Fixes: Contacting Nintendo Support may be the best solution for if this occurs.
Sources: Thread with sources on TBT, thread by Psicat

...​

More Information Needed
NOTE:
These glitches still need information, take information here with a grain of salt.

None

...​

Confirmed False Glitches
Glitches confirmed to be false. Don't worry, you're fine.

Duplicated items harm save data.
Description: Items obtained via duplication glitch harm the save data.
Discredit: No sources at all and duplicated items have been in circulation for long enough, and no issues have been reported by those buying such items. Seems to originated as a rumor to prevent duplicated items from being bought or sold.

"Star trees" corrupting data or causing dead tiles/bugged cells or corrupt your game.
Note: With hacked items, there is still a risk of getting banned from online play
Description: Claims that planted hacked star trees will cause the area around them to be bugged.
Discredit: Testing by various players and the idea originally starting as a potential and unconfirmed risk. It is possible for an update to cause issue, but for now there have been no reports of corrupted save data. There is also no confirmed risk to visiting a person with these on their island either.

Last edited:
Is this normal....

EYorrRPU0AEiaYa.jpeg

EYossVcU0AAR30i.jpeg

EYlzu3IU4AENdR2.jpeg

Sorry if this isn't the right place, I'm just really concern, my game acts a little buggy at times.

Last edited:
Is this normal....

View attachment 263611
View attachment 263612
View attachment 263613

Sorry if this isn't the right place, I'm just really concern, my game acts a little bugging at times.

Are you referring to her having a tool indoors? I did some digging and I wasn't able to find any information or reports about that, but as far as I know villagers are not supposed to have tools indoors. Do you have any idea what might have triggered it? And have you had any issue resulting from this outside of visual?

I'm also not sure if her being in the same house as a villager crafting is a glitch or not. It could be intentional or an oversight, but I wasn't able to find anything on it. My guess is if it's a glitch then maybe she was just in the house when Sally started crafting, though I can't say for sure.

For getting rid of it, have you tried restarting your game or restarting your Switch? If you're experiencing bugs in general, that could fix things.

I feel like a lot of the corrupted data rumors are caused by people wanting to discourage others from exploiting glitches. To the average mind it makes sense, you are doing something not intended by the code, and in many games (even old animal crossing ones) this could cause permanent damage.

The save corruption via the minus button is definitely a thing, but its unknown if it is caused by a glitch. It may just be an unfortunate quirk of how rollbacks/auto-save works while online. But I definitely would not list it as "possible false glitch".

I feel like a lot of the corrupted data rumors are caused by people wanting to discourage others from exploiting glitches. To the average mind it makes sense, you are doing something not intended by the code, and in many games (even old animal crossing ones) this could cause permanent damage.
I feel like that's probably how a lot of the rumors came around too, and while it does make sense I have noticed that there are some rumors being spread without any real basis.

The save corruption via the minus button is definitely a thing, but its unknown if it is caused by a glitch. It may just be an unfortunate quirk of how rollbacks/auto-save works while online. But I definitely would not list it as "possible false glitch".
I put it in there because I wasn't able to find any information on it and the bulk of the information I knew came from people saying they heard it happening. My placing it there doesn't mean it's not real, but just that I wasn't able to find anything or verify it, although I will change the name so people don't get the wrong idea. Do you happen to have any sources so that I can move it out of the category?

Are you referring to her having a tool indoors? I did some digging and I wasn't able to find any information or reports about that, but as far as I know villagers are not supposed to have tools indoors. Do you have any idea what might have triggered it? And have you had any issue resulting from this outside of visual?

I'm also not sure if her being in the same house as a villager crafting is a glitch or not. It could be intentional or an oversight, but I wasn't able to find anything on it. My guess is if it's a glitch then maybe she was just in the house when Sally started crafting, though I can't say for sure.

For getting rid of it, have you tried restarting your game or restarting your Switch? If you're experiencing bugs in general, that could fix things.

For the fishing rod thing, it was my first time seeing that; when I enter her house again, she was dusting her room.

I put it in there because I wasn't able to find any information on it and the bulk of the information I knew came from people saying they heard it happening. My placing it there doesn't mean it's not real, but just that I wasn't able to find anything or verify it, although I will change the name so people don't get the wrong idea. Do you happen to have any sources so that I can move it out of the category?

still not technically confirmed that the minus button is what causes the glitch, but the JP sources are in this thread.

edit: this is a hard glitch to confirm because it requires multiple people collaborating on multiplayer, and all the guests being okay with the possibility of their save data being wiped if their theory is confirmed.

For the fishing rod thing, it was my first time seeing that; when I enter her house again, she was dusting her room.
Huh that's interesting, I'll go ahead and add indoor villagers appearing with outdoor tools to the main post. I don't think it's too much of a cause for concern though, it could just be a simple mix up in the game.

still not technically confirmed that the minus button is what causes the glitch, but the JP sources are in this thread.

edit: this is a hard glitch to confirm because it requires multiple people collaborating on multiplayer, and all the guests being okay with the possibility of their save data being wiped if their theory is confirmed.
Thank you very much! I think that should be reputable enough, I'll go ahead and add that to the may be patched section with the new information, unless there are reports of it happening in the current version.

I have ghost tiles / dead tiles on my island. It was caused by using dirt paths to mark out where buildings go, and for some reason, only the last building caused the bugged tiles.

Here's the video:

You can put furniture on top of the tiles, but I can't change the tiles back to grass or change them to terracotta tiles.

I found a support thread about this issue on Nintendo's website, and apparently you can't terraform on these dead tiles or remove the paths at all, they're just completely dead. What I don't understand is how it's happened only once, as all the other buildings removed the dirt paths underneath them.

Support thread: https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/social/questions/detail/qid/95281/~/animal-crossing-new-horizons-path/tiles-glitch

So I tried to move the resident house and tried to edit those few tiles I couldn't change and they are still there and nothing I can do to make them disappear. I even tried terraforming, where I do get the animation for making a cliff or water but nothing happened.
Once I get enough bells I'm going to try move Able Sisters to see what happens, but it's kind of annoying this happened :(

I have ghost tiles / dead tiles on my island. It was caused by using dirt paths to mark out where buildings go, and for some reason, only the last building caused the bugged tiles.

Here's the video:

You can put furniture on top of the tiles, but I can't change the tiles back to grass or change them to terracotta tiles.

I found a support thread about this issue on Nintendo's website, and apparently you can't terraform on these dead tiles or remove the paths at all, they're just completely dead. What I don't understand is how it's happened only once, as all the other buildings removed the dirt paths underneath them.

Support thread: https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/social/questions/detail/qid/95281/~/animal-crossing-new-horizons-path/tiles-glitch

Once I get enough bells I'm going to try move Able Sisters to see what happens, but it's kind of annoying this happened :(

Oh dang I'm sorry that happened, I'll go ahead and move that to the may be patched section, since it's possible the glitch may not happen on newer versions even if they remain in the file.

I wound up looking and finding a couple Reddit posts that detail a similar problem. Some of them including this thread seemed to have the best solution if it works, that is placing more paths of the same kind around the building so it connects and then removing it. Have you tried that?

It seems like it is or was random if the building affected the tiles or not, I wasn't able to see anyone come forth with a possible cause.

When Henry is crafting, he is usually just standing there holding a hammer in front of his workbench without performing the actual crafting motion.
When it happened the first time, I didn't even realize he was crafting until I spoke to him.
I saw someone report that Shep seems to do the same thing.
I've only ever experienced it with Henry and it seems to be some odd animation glitch.
Doesn't seem like a serious thing though.

So I don't know if this is a glitch or if I'm doing something wrong. I have been trying for months to catch a fly, but I have yet to have one spawn in my presence. I've gone to mystery islands or friends islands, had garbage laid out, and kept getting rid of any other bugs, but still no fly. Flies have spawned on friends islands but not on mine. Is there something I should be doing instead? On mystery islands I did remove all other spawn points so all rocks, trees, stumps and flowers were removed, but still nothing.

So I don't know if this is a glitch or if I'm doing something wrong. I have been trying for months to catch a fly, but I have yet to have one spawn in my presence. I've gone to mystery islands or friends islands, had garbage laid out, and kept getting rid of any other bugs, but still no fly. Flies have spawned on friends islands but not on mine. Is there something I should be doing instead? On mystery islands I did remove all other spawn points so all rocks, trees, stumps and flowers were removed, but still nothing.
flies are just super rare. that's about it

you could try getting rid of some flowers and trees to potentially boost the fly spawn rate

Was this one ever patched?

Back in April a shell spawned under my furniture. I moved the furniture to grab it and the shell despawned. After which, I was unable to put the furniture back. It created a dead tile where the shell was.

I quit the game before it could autosave, so I was saved from any permanent damage

Heyo I have a glitch to share and I need help, not sure if this place is still active but I hope it is.

So my problem is that holidays don't seem to work for me. This has happened twice now. Neither Festivale or Toy Day happened on the day that they were supposed to happen. I don't time travel and my game is up to date.

But my theory is that if some other event is happening on the day of the holiday, then the holiday doesn't happen. Because when Toy Day was supposed to happen, my Nook's Cranny was upgrading. And today on Festivale, it was Kitty's birthday. I'd also like to mention that today there's also a campsite villager, but I don't think that's related. If anyone can help me figure out why holidays aren't happening for me, I'd really appreciate it!

EDIT: Gulliver is on my island on the 15th as well, if that helps.

EDIT: The issue is resolved now :) Thank you guys so much

Last edited:
Heyo I have a glitch to share and I need help, not sure if this place is still active but I hope it is.

So my problem is that holidays don't seem to work for me. This has happened twice now. Neither Festivale or Toy Day happened on the day that they were supposed to happen. I don't time travel and my game is up to date.

But my theory is that if some other event is happening on the day of the holiday, then the holiday doesn't happen. Because when Toy Day was supposed to happen, my Nook's Cranny was upgrading. And today on Festivale, it was Kitty's birthday. I'd also like to mention that today there's also a campsite villager, but I don't think that's related. If anyone can help me figure out why holidays aren't happening for me, I'd really appreciate it!
Villager birthdays won’t impact it. I had Willow’s birthday on turkey day, and the holiday still happened.

What version is your game? It should say 1.7.0a. If it doesn’t, do you have a Nintendo account linked to your switch? Is your switch connected to the internet?

EDIT: Gulliver is on my island on the 15th as well, if that helps.

You need an internet connection to unlock the event. When the game loads, it will check the Nintendo server to see if the event is unlocked. If so, your game goes from v1.7.0 to v1.7.0a.

Make sure, whether you TT or not, that your Switch is set to sync the clock to the internet. The event may not be there if you're on Feb 15 2020 or Feb 15 2022

Villager birthdays won’t impact it. I had Willow’s birthday on turkey day, and the holiday still happened.

What version is your game? It should say 1.7.0a. If it doesn’t, do you have a Nintendo account linked to your switch? Is your switch connected to the internet?
My switch is connected to the internet, but I don't have nintendo online. I checked the internet access to make sure, and it connected fine. I did check my version and it says version 1.7.0, not 1.7.0a. But I don't have a nintendo account linked
Post automatically merged:

You need an internet connection to unlock the event. When the game loads, it will check the Nintendo server to see if the event is unlocked. If so, your game goes from v1.7.0 to v1.7.0a.

Make sure, whether you TT or not, that your Switch is set to sync the clock to the internet. The event may not be there if you're on Feb 15 2020 or Feb 15 2022
I have internet access, and my switch is synchronized with the internet. The system time is accurate to real time. My internet works fine, but the version is 1.7.0. When I tried to update both my switch and ACNH my switch said that they were both up to date. Not sure what to do ):

Last edited:
My switch is connected to the internet, but I don't have nintendo online. I checked the internet access to make sure, and it connected fine. I did check my version and it says version 1.7.0, not 1.7.0a. But I don't have a nintendo account linked
Post automatically merged:

I have internet access, and my switch is synchronized with the internet. The system time is accurate to real time. My internet works fine, but the version is 1.7.0. When I tried to update both my switch and ACNH my switch said that they were both up to date. Not sure what to do ):

You don't have to buy a nintendo online subscription, but you need to link a nintendo account to get access to most of the holidays. Follow this guide if you're not sure how to do it https://en-americas-support.nintend...to-link-a-nintendo-account-to-nintendo-switch

Back