• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

A message to the Original Game fans, and why you'll never get another "perfect" AC game like the original.

Lanstar

Bells
March Birthstone (Aquamarine)
The Bell Tree World Championship 2021 Patch
December Birthstone (Turquoise)
Blue Star Fragment
September Birthstone (Sapphire)
Summer Shell
Blue Hybrid Rose
Love Ball
Blue Candy
Blue Hybrid Pansy
Within the fanbase, I'm starting to think there's a side that's acting like the stereotypical "Gen-wunner" in Pokemon. They always seem to glorify that original game as superior to all else made. No offense, but like the heckling by the Gen-wunners in that fanbase, it's starting to get on my nerves in Animal Crossing.

Unfortunately, at the rate they complain about the newer games, they will never get an AC game they'll love like their sacred original ever again.

The first reason is the dialogue since NL has now been uniformly localized in the exact same tone as in the Japanese translation, of which never had much in the way of rude dialogue in the first place - even in the original Animal Crossing. The U.S. localizers of the earlier games had much more leeway, as at the time, it was such a new type of game that they had no idea would ever sell. Why they chose rude dialog was probably because the originals were primarily dialog in the first place - so they thought something needed to engage players, right?

Secondly, there's been a major transition in who actually plays Animal Crossing, and why they play it. The target has shifted from 'general nintendo gamers' to a more family friendly and casual audience. With that change, they had to take measures to be less offending and more 'politically correct' to such a group - Resetti turned into an optional character in NL because it made young girls cry, for instance. Given that, the dialog probably will never go off course into the localized rudeness, so to keep the "Family Friendly" brand they chose to embrace. Besides, that wasn't in the original Japanese, and wasn't exactly the intent of the game anyways.

Lastly, the New Leaf generation in a way got spoiled through the taste of freedom to customize. People accross the internet kept resetting for new maps, kept trying to make everything look pretty, and kept searching for the dream villagers they wanted among other things. They also complained about annoying timed visits, unreasonable and dumb villager requests, and some of the absurd requirements of unlocking shops or completing certain events. Apparently the creators listened to the pleas of this generation, and chose to totally reroute the direction of the gameplay itself: One where customization is the primary gameplay, and villager interaction only being a secondary supplement of it.

And there you have it: The franchise now a shadow of its former self, for better or worse, in New Horizons. I personally don't mind that at all, as I seriously love the limitless freedom I have in my town in this new game. I don't talk heavily with my villagers, but I do love listening to discussions between them, as well as their interactions with the surroundings of my town. But the game will never play like the original, because it never was designed like it in the first place.

Whether this will be the death of the franchise... Well, that depends on which audience you are in. But either way, the original might as well be a case of catching lightning in a bottle, and you'll only get another game in its tradition from a completely new IP, should one ever rise up to create it.

/end rant/

Edited to not insult anyone.

Last edited:
I'm a 'Popper' and I don't believe I've ever compared NH to any of the other iterations.

I will say, since NH is en route to becoming Switch's best selling title, I highly doubt this is the death of the franchise. Seems a little extreme to put that out there.

Thank you for this! I'm with you; New Horizons' island design and terraforming is what stops me from ever wanting to go back to New Leaf.

I've noticed that rant threads have become quite a common thing in the Animal Crossing: New Horizons section of Bell Tree, and while I definitely understand where "Poppers" are coming from, it's being regurgitated over and over, to the point where it's losing substance. For example, yes, the dialogue has been stripped down, but I don't think we need to keep coming back to it almost a year after the game's launch 😂 Instead of sulking, I can definitely recognize where Nintendo focused, and I think the ease of choosing which villagers you want, along with terraforming, has made this game WAY more accessible.

Also, the furniture. While once again I do understand, Nintendo is putting out updates for a reason. Mario items are coming in March, we're getting Pavé and hopefully some more stuff near the end of January, and that's just the beginning. Who knows what Nintendo has in store? This is the first time where I am actually at the same pace as everyone else, and while time travellers can be mad, they have to remember that Nintendo's vision has always been day-by-day. It's not supposed to be a game where you sit there for 12 hours in one sitting, doing everything at once.

Be careful, they are allowed to complain, but if you have a different opinion you may get called snarky names because lord forbid you don't feel the same as the "leafers" lol I don't see a lot of "poppers" although yes, they do complain about the game but it is generally people complaining how it isn't like the best game evarrrrr New Leaf.
I am tired of the new threads that pop up daily complaining this isn't like NL, NL was better, NL had this, NL had that, this should have been an upgrade from NL, this is a downgrade from NL, NEW LEAF NEW LEAF NEW LEAF.
Yeah have your opinion, but don't get butthurt when there are those that don't feel exactly the same way. I don't think NH is perfect, and there are ways to improve it for sure, but we aren't in the developers shoes, we don't know what they could and couldn't do, tried or didn't try, why they chose to do things the way they did etc. We all like to think WE know best and how the game should have been, but we don't know if it is feasable, or if it was tried, and regardless we have what we have. I choose to enjoy it for what it is, just like I did with prior games in the franchise, because they ALL had their issues.
I stick to complaining in the rant thread, and even that I don't think I will bother anymore because some think the rant thread is there for debates and I am not here to debate.
In the end the best we can do is not feed into it. Threads are going to pop up over and over, I read some and others I back out as soon as I see where it is going. I am not saying I disagree with all of them, just that I get it, ad nauseam.

Funny to mention "genwunners". I have yet to know or see a real "genwunner". Most of the real ones (not counting the trolls) haven't played Pokémon since RBY or still play with their 20 year old Gameboy Colors. They really are a vocal minority, if there are any left in the fandom to begin with. Most fans are accepting of the newer gens of Pókemon, myself included. Been playing since gen 1 but my favourite Pokémon is from gen 6. Pokéfans adapt because the franchise still revolves around Pokémon despite all the controversial things GF does.

Now, what you say with "poppers" in this franchise is different. I never played the original AC game. I started playing in NL. But, even the transition from NL to NH is pretty noticeable how different the focus is. "Animal Crossing" is only the title. The animals aren't the only focus of the game, unlike Pokémon. In ACNH you have outdoor and indoor decorating, island customisation, furniture collecting, etc. ACNH only released 7 new villagers, which is surprising, but that's what the devs wanted. They also know now that animals aren't the main focus of the franchise. We all want more animals. I see threads how we want more animal and/or personality types. Recently, I saw a thread on the poor dialogue. As fans, we have a right to complain but in the end its the devs at Nintendo that have the vision for AC, despite what the "poppers" want.

I feel like the louder voice - probably because many more people played it - are the New Leaf crowd, not the "poppers". But that may also be because I prefer, and put more time into NL than I did the original when that released. (Though both well into the 1000s of hours!)

I see what you're saying about this is just how Animal Crossings lifespan is developing alongside it's audience. And that defintely does apply when comparing to the original game of nearly 20 years ago, but it doesn't void the conversation. When a portion of the audience are all complaining about something, then it's highlighting a disconnect between the producers and the audience, which deserves consideration. However, it has never been Nintendo's approach to seem like they listen to their buyers. (Idk if this is a cultural thing for Japan or what, but they do have a history of saying "We want you to play the game this way so we are removing all other options.")

I don't agree on the original being the best game though, I think it has a good number of features that were removed, but honestly, try going back to those games for more than a day and adjusting to not having all the QoL updates over the years, it's not fun. But certainly it was brilliant for it's time, and as each game has come out sequentially we have had improvements, but this time round it feels like they drew the line too far back with for removing things, and are being just as conservative with the updates too. Many of the removed features have lowered the overall quality of NH compared to NL in my opinion, to the point that I don't feel like I'm playing Animal Crossing #5. Feels more like I'm playing a 3.5 edition midground, based between CF and NL in terms of content.

I do not understand WHY NOT to compare any game within franchise to another one.
Would you like to tell "poppers" are people never blindly worshipping new product?
Another question: why not compare with other iterations, when so many things from old games, including NL is copy / paste?
Why not to tell about own expectations, disagreements?

I have to confess, I stopped reading after the explanation of "Poppers". I didn't play the original game, but I think that name is insulting and comes off as being meanspirited.

Would you rather a community of fans or a community that splits itself into "poppers", "worldies", "leafies", and "islanders"? The world is broken enough already. We don't need to split up a community by infighting. I watched Pokemon fans do that over the years and it isn't pretty.

I've put more time into Wild World than any other AC game, and I'd say New Leaf was superior to the original, despite having a serious flaw with villager dialogue. ( I sort of made a list of things New Leaf introduced that made it superior). So Popper would not be fitting of me.

New Horizons has at least 8 things that make it worth playing over the others, and that is.
1. Villagers don't move out on their own.
2. You can place and re-place where homes are as-well-as some other buildings
3. Larger inventory and mailbox
4. Placing items outside.
5. Customizable cliffs and rivers, and ability to make real paths.
6. HD and can be docked to HDMI displays.
7. Hair style changes whenever you want! Face changes too! No more resets for face! Skin tones! No need for sun tans
8. Wardrobes. This makes picking out outfits a lot of fun, and very easy to manage!

New Horizons is going in the right direction. The problem is Nintendo decided to give us a piece of the game little by little over months and years rather than releasing the complete package and then focus on patches and maybe introduce new items here and there. Things like Diving and Art weren't removed from the game. They were just purposely withheld. It's unknown at this time, but it's possible things like Gyroids, Katrina, Brewster, and some others are still being withheld, but are coming at some point.

Last edited:
I have to confess, I stopped reading after the explanation of "Poppers". I didn't play the original game, but I think that name is insulting and comes off as being meanspirited.

Would you rather a community of fans or a community that splits itself into "poppers", "worldies", "leafies", and "islanders"? The world is broken enough already. We don't need to split up a community by infighting. I watched Pokemon fans do that over the years and it isn't pretty.

If you just want them to be called 'original game fans', like 'OG fans', then let's call them that.

But please: Read beyond that part. I make good arguments that no matter what they beg constantly for about Animal Crossing, and the way the franchise should be handled, some features they'll just never get, and should deal with it.
Post automatically merged:

I do not understand WHY NOT to compare any game within franchise to another one.
Would you like to tell "poppers" are people never blindly worshipping new product?
Another question: why not compare with other iterations, when so many things from old games, including NL is copy / paste?
Why not to tell about own expectations, disagreements?

Comparing is fine. Constantly advocating that new games should have features and a particular direction that the franchise won't go with anymore is just getting really annoying.

Last edited:
People aren't going to change. The original game did have a load more content, and I'd say New Leaf was pretty good compared to it. You can see this kind of mindset with Super Metroid, Super Mario 64, Super Smash Bros. Melee, and Mario Kart Wii. They all brought something new to the table. But the problem is that these types of people who stick to only playing those games have certain reasons and won't think of any other game after those are better. I've never played Wild World, but if I had to compare NH to any of the ones I have played, I'd say it's lackluster. The game does have redeeming qualities such as:

Terraforming
Placing furniture outdoors
Rotating in-door camera
Easier interior building
On-the-go item purchasing
Color variations of clothes
Non-Regional locked DLC

I'm sure there is more. Maybe in the future we'll see more content added to this game. I certainly hope so. I hope all the events that were added in the game will eventually have an update to keep those events in the game since they get replaced after an update for some reason. Not allowing this to happen will continue to make this game feel incomplete. A game like New Leaf somehow managed to pack a whole lot into a small game. I want to see it happen with New Horizons.

I’ve played since the original and while I freely admit I get more fun playing ACPG than NH these days I can see some of your points.

I really don’t like the term poppers though. Why must Animal crossing fans be segregated?

I do agree that New Horizons is a totally different game for a totally different audience. I have saw that personally with friends who have never played a AC game playing NH. Even if I think all of them no longer play. It attracted a very casual audience who want to decorate to their hearts content and collect villagers like trophies. At least that is the case for some from what I have experienced. And that’s fine. Live and let live. Villager dialogue being toned down again didn’t surprise me either. It was disappointing but not unexpected. I didn’t expect it to be quite as bad as it is though. I am struggling more with the fact that we have lost so many npcs, so many furniture sets, your tools can break, seasonal items are tied to balloons and most holidays involve crafting and most of the stuff you craft for holidays repeats. (How many wands do I need?)

I don’t hate NH, but I have to be a in a specific mindset to play it. One of the reasons I love animal crossing as a series is because it’s relaxing, I don’t find that to the the case for NH. I don’t object to anyone that likes NH or thinks it’s the best AC. I just politely disagree.

That being said, I have no issues with any fan giving feedback to the powers that be about NH’s shortcomings. Those people deserve to have their voice heard and looking around there is a lot of people regardless of where they came into the series that don’t like New Horizons and their feed back is just as valid as someone who loves it.

Hm. Oddly specific post. Kinda wondering what set it off. Anyway, Ive played all main AC games, including the original. From what Ive seen, most people complaining about the game actually compare it to New Leaf, not Gamecube. The most you'll get from 'Poppers'(as you call them) is a comparison to the dialog, and propbably the music. Even then, New Leaf music is considered better overall. People will, for the time being anyway, hold the GC game in high regard because its a great game for its time, in the same sense that a game like Super Mario Bros. or Zelda's Ocarina of Time never really get old.

Fact of the matter remains, New Horizons is scarce in content compared to ACs previous entries, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with noting that because its true. But most people are trying to give the game room to grow because its understood the conditions the game was released under and that NH will be receiving content updates for some time. Calling players derogatory names like 'poppers' and misfiring at targets who aren't even the ones making the complains you're talking about isnt going to change that.

Seeing the term getting people enraged... I edited the post to not use it. But even without it, my arguments still stand.

I agree with the majority of other posters that there's way more vocal comparison between New Leaf and New Horizons than the older games. Most people I know haven't played Animal Crossing Gamecube.

I would be one of the ones who prefer older games (Wild World & Gamecube) due to the dialogue. I'm not into decorating/design, so the villager dialogue was the main draw of the game for me, and playing New Horizons feels a bit hollow. However, while I know asking for "rude" dialogue is unrealistic for the reasons you mentioned, I do think they could make it less repetitive. I hear the same things every day from my villagers, and a lot of it feels like effortless writing (e.g. "Today's already fun!" as a complete segment of dialogue which Melba says daily). More variety and substance would at least renew my interest in playing I think.

Awww, I kinda liked it, I'm a 'worldie' myself xD
eh, I just play whatever I feel like for whatever purpose I feel like at this point
(I do own/love the original, I just got wild world first)

Back