A message to the Original Game fans, and why you'll never get another "perfect" AC game like the original.

While I don't have a problem with people venting their frustrations with a game from time to time, what I think is the point the OP is making isn't about that. I've seen some systemic complaining in these forums, from the same people, from months. It begs the question: if you hate this game so much, and you like another entry in the AC franchise better than NH, why are you still playing NH instead of your favorite game? Just to have a reason to constantly rant?

And, if you can comprehend that despite being part of the same franchise, every game is different, why do you want the newest game to be exactly like the one you already have? Like, what's the point of buying a new game if you already have what you want?

It almost feels like some of these people (and it's a very small part of this community, I could count them in on hand) got so frustrated that NH isn't NL that they feel like souring the experience of other players too. Like "how can you enjoy this game that I don't?? Let me constantly remember you how bad this game is and how NL is better so we can get frustrated together".
I don't think the majority who are mixed or disappointed in some of the things the game did want it to be like NewLeaf 2.0 or a cookiecutter version of it. NH cut a good bit of stuff out, but they also didn't replace it with a lot of newer things. They might bring more in updates, but we can't blame people being mixed about that when they bought the game at launch thinking they were getting the full game. The majority of the playerbase throughout the franchise held a interest in each title for 4 months to a year. We're close to a year now.

I'm at the point in the game where I just only pick it up occassinaly now for a event or whatever. Like I did with all the other titles. But the full game was at my fingertips with the past titles. So that leaves me a bit mixed. I like the game, but I can't say it is my favorite of the franchise.

I have played all the Animal Crossing games, and this is the only one that stresses me out. And thats the opposite of what I want to feel in Animal Crossing. Also the dialouge is extremely slow. And the banter bland or focused on extreme quirks. Sorry that I just dont like this iteration :/

I don't think the majority who are mixed or disappointed in some of the things the game did want it to be like NewLeaf 2.0 or a cookiecutter version of it. NH cut a good bit of stuff out, but they also didn't replace it with a lot of newer things. They might bring more in updates, but we can't blame people being mixed about that when they bought the game at launch thinking they were getting the full game. The majority of the playerbase throughout the franchise held a interest in each title for 4 months to a year. We're close to a year now.

I'm at the point in the game where I just only pick it up occassinaly now for a event or whatever. Like I did with all the other titles. But the full game was at my fingertips with the past titles. So that leaves me a bit mixed. I like the game, but I can't say it is my favorite of the franchise.
I get that, and that's precisely why I mentioned it being a problem caused by a very small portions of this community (and by community, I'm talking about tbt, not the whole AC fanbase).

I'm a critic of the model Nintendo chose to use with NL - as it is incredibly similar to the Games as a Service model - and I've pointed that out two or three times here, mentioning Street Fighter V as a game that did the same thing. However, there's a difference between criticizing a model and constantly hating on a game - almost on a daily basis throughout the year - for it being different t it's predecessor.

I'm not trying to defend NH or Nintendo, or even trying to "censor" people's rights to voice their dissatisfaction with the game. My point is very specific, and it's about a small minority that acts in a very toxic way that doesn't contribute to a healthy discussion about the game, instead choosing to simply push the narrative of how bad the game is and spreading negativity for seemingly no reason.

Okay so I am not sure what happened here but please do not call people "names" because it really doesn't support your argument. I've bene in communities where people often insult each other just to prove a point. You mentioned "Gen wunners" but realize that this is not Pokémon. I know what you were trying to say but please do not be toxic. I've already had to deal with a lot of people on the Subreddit of Animal Crossing who insulted me because I had a different view and opinion.

I have the right to speak out the flaws of the game because I experienced it and wanted to share how I felt. Just because I do that doesn't mean that makes me a "Popper" or whatever the OP was trying to say when I was reading the comments. Everyone has different opinions on how they feel about the game and we should not judge them because they have a different viewpoint.

I am not trying to defend AC or Nintendo I am just saying that if you're going to make an argument to prove your point don't call people names or try to act like its so wrong of them to voice their opinion.

I'm speaking an argument in my OP as fact, not opinion: No matter how hard people will advocate for the strengths and powers of the original, you won't get them in another game - in NH or in the future.
That really doesn't support your argument if you're trying to say how what you're saying is always true and I saw what your OP was calling people "Poppers". Name calling doesn't really make your argument well stand out.

I'm somebody who has been pretty outspoken regarding my issues with New Horizons. The only other Animal Crossing game I've played is New Leaf so it's the only one I'm able to go back and reference, which is why I end up comparing the two so often.

I think it's completely fair and justifiable to compare a new game to it's predecessors. We do that with games in other franchises as well and it's helpful. I think that with New Horizons specifically there is a great deal to criticize but there is also a lot of things done well in the game. I just find my time with New Horizons overall to be frustrating and lackluster, which wasn't something I felt with New Leaf.

I wasn't expecting New Horizons to be New Leaf: The Sequel. I would definitely love to see a remastered version of New Leaf with better graphics and have the character customization added in (there is no reason why darker skin tones weren't added into New Leaf via the Welcome Amiibo update, imo.) but I'm glad that New Horizons is something different.

Looking at New Horizons from the standpoint of seeing what it was meant to be, I really love the idea of the game. Having the game take place on a deserted island? Being able to terraform that island? Being able to craft furniture (not a fan of crafting tools tho lol) and customize them into different colours? Getting to choose when your villagers move out, where their houses are going to be placed (where all the building get to be placed!!), adding fences, having the game come with some pathways that are recognized on your map, being able to rearrange buildings to change up the feel of your island, etc. etc. Those all sounds amazing and seem like a natural progression of things from New Leaf. Having some new flowers and the addition of pumpkins and potentially more plants down the line is also really exciting. I am totally on board with New Horizons being different from New Leaf. ... It's just the execution of things that has soured my opinion of it it for me and then a few bits and bobs along the way (I'm looking at you, RNG system) that also frustrate me.

In regards to saying that New Horizons has moved towards being a "family friendly game" as a justification for lacking villager dialogue, I think that's a bit silly. I never played the older games and honestly I'm not terribly bothered by the villagers being friendly. The issue with New Horizons, imo, is that the villager dialogue is so... bland? It's repetitive, and for a game that's literally just... decorate an island and live with your animal friends I feel like the Animal Friends should have more to say. They are a big part of the game, especially for casual players I would think.

New Horizons has definitely been a polarizing release and I think that's fair. They didn't release a full game or a very polished one, imo and they deserve criticism for that. There are tons of stunning artistic details (it's a beautiful game, no doubt) but it's lacking Quality of Life improvements and has a terrible RNG system. Add onto the fact that we are constantly waiting on updates to not only play the holidays (which is silly, if people want to Time Travel then let them,) but also for extra features. It's absurd that Redd's gallery and the ability to dive weren't in the game from the beginning, and that we haven't heard a peep regarding shop upgrades/new shops. Plus the need for an online membership in order to access all the different fruit types, different furniture variations, and use the Able Sister's pattern creator, there are a decent amount of things to criticize.

Criticism can be a good thing. It worked out for the Sonic movie.

1610397938427.png

1610397718662.png

The only problem is unless Nintendo has their people reading our posts here at TBT, it's not going to be received by the development team.

Coming from someone who has played all of them. I would say, yes I do love NH. NH has made so many nice changes to the games, but it does have its flaws.

I think its okay for people to call out its flaws or the developers will never know what to add or change. I actually think NH is better than NL, but falls short on some things.

I don't really like that people pick arguments over this topic, because fun is subjective. Just because you hate NH compared to NL, doesn't mean the next person is gonna.

Thats just my personal take

Last edited:
New Horizons definitely has it's own flaws, especially since there isn't any motivating aspects of the game for me. (Also Joycon Drift is super annoying and a huge part of it but that's an entirely different issue)

I do like NH, and I do like that it is trying it's best to be unique in it's own way compared to the other games, but I also do agree there could have been other better ways to approach it.

However I do find new threads about how this game is lacking a bit stale ironically, especially when the ACNH rant thread exists for a reason. I feel like nothing constructive really comes out of them and from what I've seen, they either end up with people arguing to no conclusion or until the thread gets locked, like what was happening when ACNH was first released.

To comment on the side argument thats going on here, I really don't see the issue in calling people "poppers, leafies, etc" because its just an abbreviation of saying "I started playing AC in x generation." Maybe I'm misunderstanding this but idk why people are getting so offended like its a derogatory word or something. To me "poppers, etc." sounds like calling someone a first year, sophomore, etc. in school; or calling someone a gryffindor, slytherin, etc. at Hogwarts. Like, to continue the metaphor, we all go to the same school (AC) but are different years, why is it so bad to recognize that...? As long as bullying isn't going on I don't think assigning a neutral term to represent that we all started playing AC at different times is going to "divide the fanbase" in a negative way.

Last edited:
To comment on the side argument thats going on here, I really don't see the issue in calling people "poppers, leafies, etc" because its just an abbreviation of saying "I started playing AC in x generation." Maybe I'm misunderstanding this but idk why people are getting so offended like its a racial slur or something. To me "poppers, etc." sounds like calling someone a first year, sophomore, etc. in school; or calling someone a gryffindor, slytherin, etc. at Hogwarts. Like, to continue the metaphor, we all go to the same school (AC) but are different years, why is it so bad to recognize that...? As long as bullying isn't going on I don't think assigning a term to represent that we all started playing AC at different times is going to "divide the fanbase" in a negative way.
Well in the OP mentioned another game called Pokemon and thats when he used the term "Gen wunners" which basically means that anyone who was a fan of the original Pokemon didn't like change and they didn't like the new additions. Thats probably the reason why the name "Poppers" was look at as an insult. So thats the reason why.

I like the fact this thread's drifted into being another "NL vs NH" thread AGAIN, very fun.

I'm honestly attached to the GC game for reasons other than *adopts loud, obnoxious, nasal voice* "MEAN VILLAGERS, COULDN'T DO THAT NOWADAYS BECAUSE IT'S NON-PC" or "NES GAMES" or whatever people seem to over-hype about the game in 2020. At this point, when they've steadily brought back most of the features they cut in WW (coincidentally, my first game!), I mainly love the atmosphere compared to the other games in the series. I love the big leafy things, and the koinobori, and the little buildings scattered around the massive coastal valley town. THAT'S what keeps me coming back to it, and if they could bring THAT to NH without any of the jank (such as the TERRIBLE storage system or the forced horrible hats) I'd be a very happy man.

However, I'm concerned as of late with the idea that there's supposedly two camps in Animal Crossing fandom (one of which thinks that it's a game entirely about talking to animals, and one of which is entirely about designing a village) and that over the course of time the priority's shifted from one to another... this is Doubutsu No Mori e+ erasure, for god's sake! As well as being, y'know, entirely wrong. I've always been somewhere between the two supposed camps, resetting for villagers, fruit and town layout, and wanting to be able to decorate my town with specific things, albeit not to the overdeveloped standard as popular NL/NH towns... whilst also enjoying communicating with the villagers and spending time chilling out amongst the animals.

While NH definitely has some problems with its villager system (the main ones in my eyes being a) WHY WASN'T THE VILLAGER VISIT SYSTEM READY ON DAY ONE INSTEAD OF BEING HIDDEN IN THE GAME PARTIALLY COMPLETE FOR 9 MONTHS, DEVS? b) there's a load of one-line dialogue that needs to be extended and c) the competition system from WW got taken out in LGTTC and still hasn't come back yet and d) the prioritisation of talking about stuff you've done recently or what you're wearing over the more interesting stuff) it's an exaggeration to say that NH's villagers are BAD by any stretch, because they're still fundamentally there to catch fish and bugs for, find their lost items, act as a go-between between villagers have them give you items and say funny things about themselves and to say "NL's dialogue was more varied" is just DELUSIONAL, as at least it's not talking about being as cool as a fair number of cucumbers most of the time (but I might be having the same problem as some NH players 😆)!

There's a load of other things I honestly hate about the game, some of which are shared with other AC fans (the update system meaning even minor things that should be in the game from day one like luck or the aforementioned villager visits aren't in the game 9 months in, inability to access your storage outside your home, meaning you can't store turnips; lack of certain furniture series from older games) and some of which is just stuff I'm getting annoyed at for no reason (bushes are in buds on the day they're meant to be blooming for the first time, instead of for an entire week before like in NL, minor events are relegated to Nook Shopping which means you can't get them in some cases til the day after the actual event, certain things no longer go out of stock which makes things feel a bit too easy to get, villagers move out too soon, you can't cancel it if you do it by accident, and they don't send you letters), and conversely there's a load of stuff I don't hate that other people do (bulk crafting's would be nice but it's not much of a necessity to me, Isabelle's morning announcements need some more dialogue added to mix things up a bit but they're honestly more characterful than just using her to tell you who's in the village, which IF YOU ACTUALLY TALKED TO YOUR VILLAGERS, THEY'D TELL YOU, and crafting from storage... which is basically over-simplifying things, like most of the things in that QOL video everybody goes goo-goo over. You wouldn't bake a cake without your ingredients, would you?)... but now that we're at the end of the "basic updates" stage once the next update happens, I'm looking forward to what's going to happen in 2021 and I'm GREATLY hoping that NH is much better once March 2022 comes along. Will they actually change how the holidays work from year to year, fixing one of AC's greatest problems that we didn't know it had? Will they add the city, putting all of the characters that're actually beneficial to have in one place at one time (instead of putting most of them into one shopping area without actually adding new visitors, making your village seem too empty/like the only place that actually exists in the AC universe) together? Will they add crafting recipes for the upgraded Nook's Cranny tools so I don't have to stockpile the things? Hopefully.

The reality of game development is that it takes A Long Time, and in the case of Animal Crossing, that's especially true, especially an HD Animal Crossing game. Which is why Wild World happened, for god's sake! They had to simplify things from the various versions of the GC game that exist, so that people could communicate together online without having which in hindsight... kinda sucked? NH working with a GAAS model has some very obvious disadvantages, the main one being the AAAA WHY CAN'T I COVER MY HOME IN NINTENDO ITEMS, GRACIE WALLPAPER, AND EXOTIC CHESTS WHILE DRINKING A DELICIOUS BREWSTER COFFEE AND LISTENING TO THE GYROIDS IN MY 8X8 IN EVERY ROOM AND CUSTOM WINDOWED HOME NOW, DAMMIT... but the advantage is it also means there's always something to look forward to, and it means that maybe, just maybe, we'll finally get the Ultimate and Definitive AC Game that they've tried to make, but have ultimately failed because of time constraints.

Because on November 26th, after 18 years or so, they finally had villagers next to tables for the Harvest Festival again... and that's the kind of atmosphere I love to see in AC.

(Now bring back the Cherry Blossom Festival, not just as DIYs... an actual thing!)

Well in the OP mentioned another game called Pokemon and thats when he used the term "Gen wunners" which basically means that anyone who was a fan of the original Pokemon didn't like change and they didn't like the new additions. Thats probably the reason why the name "Poppers" was look at as an insult. So thats the reason why.
So for example you're saying instead of "gen wunners" meaning "people who started playing pokemon in gen one," it means "people who started playing pokemon in gen one who also hate every new gen" (stereotypically)? And the same would apply to the term worldies, leafies, etc for AC?
Just trying to understand since I'm not deeply involved in online gaming communities.

I thought "Poppers" was supposed to be funny. Seriously, what's the big deal? It's simply just a quicker way of saying "those who grew up with or prefer the original". "Gen wunner" is the same thing for Pokemon; those who grew up or prefer with gen 1.

Original as in the Gamecube version? Honestly, besides the villager dialogue there is nothing worth going back to the Gamecube one for. It's so boring compared what all you can do in New Horizons. New Horizons has its problems as I've even ranted about loads of times but nobody can deny that it's the best game for things to do in.

To comment on the side argument thats going on here, I really don't see the issue in calling people "poppers, leafies, etc" because its just an abbreviation of saying "I started playing AC in x generation." Maybe I'm misunderstanding this but idk why people are getting so offended like its a derogatory word or something. To me "poppers, etc." sounds like calling someone a first year, sophomore, etc. in school; or calling someone a gryffindor, slytherin, etc. at Hogwarts. Like, to continue the metaphor, we all go to the same school (AC) but are different years, why is it so bad to recognize that...? As long as bullying isn't going on I don't think assigning a neutral term to represent that we all started playing AC at different times is going to "divide the fanbase" in a negative way.
I agree with this completely. Like I wouldn't be offended if I was categorized as a "Mayor" since NL was my first game, or as an "Islander" since NH is my favourite. If anything, it's kind of nice!

I thought the term 'poppers' was cute and non-derogatory myself. They'd have Poppy as a mascot, too! ;_;

Anyways, who knew my thread would end up becoming another off-topic area for more rants about NH? Sounds like a lot of threads on this forum.

Animal Crossing: A calm, relaxing and wholesome franchise with cute animals.

The Animal Crossing Community: Well... You know...

I wish could find the meme of that somewhere, buried in the hard drives of reddit.

So for example you're saying instead of "gen wunners" meaning "people who started playing pokemon in gen one," it means "people who started playing pokemon in gen one who also hate every new gen" (stereotypically)? And the same would apply to the term worldies, leafies, etc for AC?
Just trying to understand since I'm not deeply involved in online gaming communities.
Thats basically it and since then if you even try to tell people in that community you will receive a lot of insults from them. I'm just saying every community has its flaws and I don't care how "nice" they claim to me there is always going to be that one person that tries to ruin it for everyone, therefore leading to a lot of arguments and debates. Its been getting worse every year no matter if its AC or other gaming communities.
Post automatically merged:

I thought "Poppers" was supposed to be funny. Seriously, what's the big deal? It's simply just a quicker way of saying "those who grew up with or prefer the original". "Gen wunner" is the same thing for Pokemon; those who grew up or prefer with gen 1.
If you was in the Pokemon Community you would understand how everytime you try to talk to these type of people you will get met with a lot of insults. I've been through them and there is no logic or reason to even argue with them. No matter what you say they will always defend Gen 1 and act like newer generations are great. I know this is Pokemon we are talking about but still I wanted to mention why that term was used in the wrong way.

Thats basically it and since then if you even try to tell people in that community you will receive a lot of insults from them. I'm just saying every community has its flaws and I don't care how "nice" they claim to me there is always going to be that one person that tries to ruin it for everyone, therefore leading to a lot of arguments and debates. Its been getting worse every year no matter if its AC or other gaming communities.
Post automatically merged:

If you was in the Pokemon Community you would understand how everytime you try to talk to these type of people you will get met with a lot of insults. I've been through them and there is no logic or reason to even argue with them. No matter what you say they will always defend Gen 1 and act like newer generations are great. I know this is Pokemon we are talking about but still I wanted to mention why that term was used in the wrong way.

UM I am in the Pokemon Community, and I know that they do that. However, I've seen some that LOVE Gen 1, but never actually put the other Gens down. And as Lanstar said, it was supposed to be a cute name that was for fun, which is exactly how I interpreted it. How it could be deemed as "insulting" is far beyond me. If it really makes you feel better, I guess I'm an "Islander" since NH is my favourite.

UM I am in the Pokemon Community, and I know that they do that. However, I've seen some that LOVE Gen 1, but never actually put the other Gens down. And as Lanstar said, it was supposed to be a cute name that was for fun, which is exactly how I interpreted it. How it could be deemed as "insulting" is far beyond me. If it really makes you feel better, I guess I'm an "Islander" since NH is my favourite.
Trust me things have changed since the whole Sword and Shield Controversary back in 2019 maybe you didn't hear but the newer Pokemon game decided not to have past Pokemon in the game so that caused a huge wave of backlash. I am not sure if people are still holding a grudge but no matter how you look at it its still bad. Also its hard for me to believe how that term is used in a friendly way when I've been called one of that so many times in the Pokemon Community. I'm sorry I am just not used to stuff like this.

Back