• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

-

A big one for me has always been Baten Kaitos for Gamecube.

I feel like that era of games was a golden age for RPGs on PS2. Baten Kaitos being a Gamecube exclusive was almost swept under the rug because people were playing Final Fantasy and other RPGs on PS2. The game definitely has a cult following now...but, it never achieved that deserved "top spot" back when it was timely. I'd love to see it remastered for Switch. It would be a day-one purchased without a moments hesitation.

I just want there to be more love for The Legendary Starfy 🥺 I believe we only got one of the DS games localized but there are a handful of games! Mainly for the GBA but I think there's at least two for the DS? I absolutely adore the one for the DS that received an English translation. I think the story is so charming, the graphics are cute, and the gameplay is a lot of fun. I think that the same group of people who enjoy Kirby games would really like The Legendary Starfy because they give off similar vibes. They're both easy platformers (which I know won't be for everyone but part of why I like Kirby games is because they're easy) but they're not dull.

The main story for the game is a little foggy to me now but I think Starfy is a king of some Cloud Kingdom? And he falls into the ocean chasing after a bunny rabbit from space, lol. There's this crew of bad guys who are trying to kidnap the space bunny for whatever reason and they're just so cartoonishly silly I love them. The game has some secret levels to unlock, I think there's like a "dressing up Starfy" aspect to the game, there's mini games I'm fairly sure, and I think Starfy might even get costumes or something sometimes that give him special abilities in the game? I really need to replay it as my memory is absolutely awful, lol and I could be misremembering that special abilities costume bit but I also really feel like I can see his little face wearing a dragon costume, lmao.

Regardless of my lousy memory though, it's a lot of fun! And even thought the levels are almost all water based they're not bad because the game is meant to be water based, so he moves really fluidly through them and such. Now I'm going to have to find my game and replay it again because talking about it has made me miss it! 😂

Fortnite, I feel people don't like fortntoe because of how famous it got, but if you actually played it, it can be fun

chibi-robo!: plug into adventure! probably. i think all anyone really knows chibi-robo for (if at all) is zip lash and how badly that did, when plug into adventure was incredibly good & incredibly wacky and was filled with a lot more depth than you'd expect chibi-robo to be just by looking at the other games the series got.

I’m not sure if this game is necessarily underrated, but I’ll have to say My Sims for the Wii. I’ve had so much fun with that game and it reminded me of Animal Crossing in a way. I loved the fact that you could design your own house, especially with the options it gave you with the interior design.

LISA. The whole series and world is interesting, it tackles more mature topics, and overall I think the story is really good. It’s been a while since I played it but I remember loving every aspect of the game, from the simple rpg style to the music and the character builds. It’s not quite “underrated” since it has a high rating when you google it, but compared to the more popular pixel RPGs like Undertale, Omori, and Earthbound, its name deserves to be more known as well. There are multiple endings to the game as well, and like Undertale your actions do have permanent consequences, such as perma-death.

(I won‘t link the trailer due to the maturity rating, so search at your own risk. There are some disturbing graphics, but it’s not a horror game or anything like that.)

chibi-robo!: plug into adventure! probably. i think all anyone really knows chibi-robo for (if at all) is zip lash and how badly that did, when plug into adventure was incredibly good & incredibly wacky and was filled with a lot more depth than you'd expect chibi-robo to be just by looking at the other games the series got.
I secretly kinda liked Zip-Lash. lol

I secretly kinda liked Zip-Lash. lol
haha it wasn’t a bad game by any means! i just know it wasn’t very well-received, and it played very differently (as did park patrol) to plug into adventure. I’m also just very plug into adventure biased lol

Yume 2kki - its yume nikki but better (imho)
Psychonauts - premise is cool and the characters are great, a sequel is in the works rn
Moon remix rpg adventure - satirizes common RPG tropes but its more of its own thing, toby fox was inspired by this while making undertale. I love the artstyle and its soundtrack is killer, they got real musicians/bands to make it. A cult classic that was untranslated for over 20 years but it finally made its way onto the switch with an english translation last august

Fortnite, I feel people don't like fortntoe because of how famous it got, but if you actually played it, it can be fun
In what world was Fortnite ever underrated? lol it was literally the most popular game in history........

Last edited:
I got Hollow Knight for my birthday a month ago and I'd never even heard of it before. So far I've got about 50 hours in it and I still have quite a bit left to do. The story, the scenery, the music, and the characters are all so creative. I'd definitely put it at the top of my "Underrated Games" list.

I got Hollow Knight for my birthday a month ago and I'd never even heard of it before. So far I've got about 50 hours in it and I still have quite a bit left to do. The story, the scenery, the music, and the characters are all so creative. I'd definitely put it at the top of my "Underrated Games" list.
Hollow knight is really famous

I don’t know if you would consider Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric underrated but it got a lot of hate. I played it when I was 10-11 and I really enjoyed it. Sure, the plot was crap but it gave me a lot of memories playing with my brother. I understand why it people didn’t like playing it, Sonic fans thought it was absolute garbage compared to other games but hey, at least it gave us the show on Cartoon Network and Sticks (which Sega seems to have ignored since her debut..)

I know I talked a lot about people’s hatred for Sonic Boom in that first paragraph and this thread is about underrated games but I honestly can’t explain why I think it’s underrated. There’s nothing really special and new about the game other than the new character design but I don’t think it deserves all the hate it gets. Maybe I think it’s “underrated” because that was my first actual Sonic title and my experience with it.

Anyway R.I.P Sticks ;(

A big one for me has always been Baten Kaitos for Gamecube.

I feel like that era of games was a golden age for RPGs on PS2. Baten Kaitos being a Gamecube exclusive was almost swept under the rug because people were playing Final Fantasy and other RPGs on PS2. The game definitely has a cult following now...but, it never achieved that deserved "top spot" back when it was timely. I'd love to see it remastered for Switch. It would be a day-one purchased without a moments hesitation.
Omg I came here to say Baten Kaitos. I have the original and the prequel. They’re amazing and I never see them mentioned online. If there was a remaster on switch I would gladly pay 60 dollars without a second thought lol

underrated doesn't mean "not well liked" or "unpopular" or "people don't talk about this old game" or even "is eclectic and niche" and neither does something being well known make something not underrated

it means something that isn't rated highly enough. to underestimate the importance and value of. underappreciated. even though we know gamers are cynical, paranoid dorks about everything, if a well known franchise is regularly written off as a soulless cash grab so "of course people like it" in pop culture by a significant number of people when a group of other people feel they have totally missed value in it, it counts.

so like, i might say mega man 4 is underrated because the game that gets the credit is mega man 2, even the four is the ultimate polished experience that takes what 2 and 3 did and refines the issues from them into positives. so the people who said stuff like super paper, stary, baiten kaitos, even the fortnite person are on the right track, for example. not to say others aren't but these people grabbed me.

personally i would put bioshock 2 on there, because while people bought it and played it and it sold on, it's looked at as a reuse of assets, redundant and forgettable. i'd argue it's an essential part 2 to the original plot, as it fleshes out the criticism of a capitalist experiment by examining characters who lived in Rapture due to the promises it made, instead of the people that it deluded who built it. and the big daddy from a mechanics standpoint is twice as polished and the atmosphere is in some ways presented more strongly. the player has far less linearity to deal with and greater control of how to build the character. the writing has a little more depth too as instead of unhinged characters who are irredeemable, the ones in two are judged by the player themselves. plus minerva's den, 2's dlc is probably the best stand alone dlc i've ever played that many people wrote off for being dlc.

VVVVVVV was pretty good, not really sure if it qualifies as underrated though lol.
vigilante 8 maybe? they dont make games like it anymore, it was so unique and fun lol, if they brought it back in battle royal style for pc i'd sink so many hours into it

Ice Climber. A top five game of that generation imo. I rarely see anything positive written about it. I used think it sucked as well when I was younger. Mostly because I didn't really give it an honest chance but rather just went with the popular opinion. But as I got older I realized that it's actually a super fun game. The jumping can take a bit of time to get used to and the collision detection can be a pain until you figure out how it works, but once you get used to it and are able to get in to a flow, there are few games that are more addicting.

Ice Climber is one of my go-to games whenever I've got 10-15 minutes to kill.

Back