• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

5 things that will happen in 2017

Alolan_Apples

“Assorted” Collector
Bells
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Green Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Hot Cocoa
Snowflake Glow Wand
Yellow Tulip
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Orange Candy
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
As this year is coming to a close, I'm gonna go over a few entries about the new year, may two or three.

2016 has been a pretty long and rough year. We know how the election went, as well as the many celebrities that died, the update that removed the Pokémon tracker in Pokémon Go, the concern about the 2016 Summer Olympics, and all of the terror attacks across the world. Some say that 2017 will be a better year than 2016, but others say that it's gonna be worse. I don't know how 2017 will turn out, but I don't think it would be better than 2011 or 2014 (when it comes to my personal life). But it might be another good year.

Regardless of what people think that will happen in 2017, here are 5 things I know that will happen in 2017, other than the fact that I will be 24 years old or that it will be the Year of the Rooster (my zodiac sign).

1. Donald Trump becomes president - I'm gonna get the politics out of the way as soon as possible. We know this is going to happen. While a president is elected on the fourth year of a 4-year era (2000, 2004, 2008 etc.), they don't begin a new term until the first year of a 4-year era (2001, 2005, 2009 etc.). It appears that Donald Trump will achieve a presidential first. Trump is actually the first president elected to not have held a political office or serve at war prior to his presidency. And for the fifth time, a president that has not won the popular vote becomes president of the United States. Trump is also the second president to be born in New York City, and the fifth president to be born from New York. And that's not all. He is the third president born in 1946 to be elected, making 1946 the first year three or more presidents are born in. And a record previously held by Ronald Reagan (oldest president to be elected) will be given to Donald Trump. I know he's unpopular, but this is unusual for an election. End of line.
  2. Total Solar Eclipse over the United States - of all of the events predicted for 2017, this is the one event I am very sure that will happen. In fact, I was aware of this since 2010 when I was making a short PowerPoint presentation on the moon and its properties. I even put in August 21st, 2017 as the next day a solar eclipse will occur in the United States. Predictions haven't even changed since then. According to some maps I see, the best viewing is in western Kentucky and southern Illinois. Lunar Eclipses are pretty common and long-lasting, but solar eclipses are short-lived and rare. So better get prepared for it on August 21st of 2017.
  3. iPhone turns 10 years old - one of the most popular forms of technology is the Apple iPhone. They were first released on the market on June 29th, 2007. In 2017, we will see the 10th anniversary of the iPhone. It's hard to believe how much time has passed to this point. Over the past 10 years, iPhones have been improving a lot. When they first came out, there were only 15 apps. You could only use it to listen to music, call, text, browse the internet, and check e-mails. You also didn't have a home screen background, until iOS 4 came out. The original models have now been declared obsolete, but it's amazing to see how much we have improved.
  4. Friday the 13th to occur in October - you may not care too much about this, but since 2013, I was studying when certain dates appear on which days of the week. I also knew the 28-year pattern, including the 6-5-6-11 cycle. Since 2006, all of the dates from March to December did not appear on the same days of the week as they did that year, as well as the dates in January and February of 2007. 11 years should be up, so in 2017, these dates that did not occur in over 10 years will occur again. Some of the notable ones include Friday the 13th in October, Christmas Day to appear on a Monday, Thanksgivings Day to be on November 23rd, and April Fools occurring on Saturday. Basically, whatever days of the week these dates landed on in AC Wild World's first full year and the year of the new millennium.
  5. Star Wars turns 40 - 2016 was when Star Trek turned 50. In 2017, an even larger sci-fi franchise reaches a 10-year mark. This time, it's only 40 years. Coincidentially, Star Wars Episode VIII will also come out in theaters, just like how a new main-series Pokemon game was released in the year it turned 20. The force has been strong with us for that long. And it has greatly impacted pop culture. The battle between Luke and Darth Vader was one of cinema's most famous moments, and one of the most referenced scenes in media. Not to mention, but Episode IV was the most revolutionary film. Since the creation of Industrial Light and Magic, films are looking like they are more complicated to make.

ALSO, there will be a Friday the 13th in January. ^-^ There will be two in 2017.

NijiNymphia;bt13441 said:
ALSO, there will be a Friday the 13th in January. ^-^ There will be two in 2017.

There are two reasons why I didn't include that.

1. The last time Friday the 13th occurred in January was 2012. Even if it's true that January 13th lands on Friday this upcoming year, it's done that at least once this decade. Friday the 13th hasn't appeared in October in like over a decade.
2. I mentioned Friday the 13th and October because Friday the 13th is a scary day (if it had a theme), and October is the month of Halloween. But it is pretty weird that Friday the 13th appears in the first month.

You know what else will happen in 2017?...

I'm graduating from high school! :DDDDD

And I'm turning 18 about 3 weeks later ^^"

Last edited:
xSuperMario64x;bt13444 said:
You know what else will happen in 2017?...

I'm graduating from high school! :DDDDD

And I'm turning 18 about 3 weeks later ^^"

Congratulations! You can finally get to college. High school sucks, same with middle school. I graduated nearly six years ago, despite my username having the year after my graduation.

Apple2012;bt13445 said:
Congratulations! You can finally get to college. High school sucks, same with middle school. I graduated nearly six years ago, despite my username having the year after my graduation.

OMG yes middle school sucks. I'm going into high school 2017-2018. can't wait.

If Trump was that unpopular then how did he get elected? I could argue that Killary (Crooked Hillary) is more unpopular than Trump.

irhaskell8;bt13447 said:
If Trump was that unpopular then how did he get elected? I could argue that Killary (Crooked Hillary) is more unpopular than Trump.

Nowadays, the elections have been more dependent on the voter turnout and electoral college. In order to win an election, you need to have more votes in the electoral college, which is determined by the voter turnout of both parties. Some states like Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi are always going to go red no matter what. Same with California, Oregon, and Washington going blue. So the elections are up to the swing states. That's how Trump got elected.

Do you know who else was unpopular? Richard Nixon. Even if Watergate never happened, people still wouldn't like him. But look on the bright side. Trump may do a better job on our country than George Bush did. Not once had we had a Republican president as bad Herbert Hoover since 1933, and the worst one after would be Richard Nixon. If Trump actually did a better job on our country than Ronald Reagan did, but people still say he was the worst president, then they're like the Republicans who say that Obama was the worst president.

Back