4th Writer Character for a Literature themed town?

Amherst

Milk-Eyed Mender
Bells
Tasty Cake
October Birthstone (Opal)
White Pansy
Yellow Cosmos
Happy Home Designer Token
Pear (Fruit)
Cake
So I have a town called Amherst, after the town Emily Dickinson lived in. My mayor is unfortunately me, because I made it before I had the idea to make it a writer's themed town, and ACNL was my first AC game.

Since then I've realised I want it to be a lit themed town, and I made Emily Dickinson and Emily Bront? the second and third characters in it. I want to ask for what everyone thinks my 4th character should be?

I'll just give you a summary of the aesthetic of Emily Dickinson and Bront?.

Emily Dickinson - Genius poet from the late 19th c, lived in new england, brilliant and solitary spinster, wore only white throughout the end of her life, bleak and profoundly mordern poems about death, consciousness, time, female condition, poetic power. Mythologial figure characterised in accounts as sitting alone in her attic, seeing no one, wearing white and writing poems about death (this is how people see her, there's obviously way more to her than that). LOTS OF NATURE AND FLOWERS. She was a bontanist and was famous for her Garden.

Emily Bront? - mid-19th century, english writer. Wrote one book: wuthering heights, gothic, lots of death & passion & violence, great poet (amazing death poems). Location and landscape: harsh but beautiful south english countriside, heath and downs, windy, cold, by the sea, lots of stone and rock, bleak but romantic. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just scratching down very basic aesthetic elements here).

So what 4th writer would work well with this? Or do you suggest getting rid of Bront? to make room for 2 others from this list?

Sappho - Greek poet of antiquity, I think there's enough funiture and interior features that could work towards this aesthetic
Jane Austen - too clich?? limited interior design items, princess and classic set is all I can really think of. Very popular, but I haven't seen her done in ACNL.
Virginia Woolf - I have a lighthouse PWP which is a nice reference to her book 'the lighthouse', it would be pretty easy to make this chracter in Animal Crossing, there are a lot of things from her time as furniture, nice mix of classic and modern. Has a subtle bleak underside b/c of her suicide.
Dorothy Parker - poet/journalist: Gothic 1920s flapper aesthetic. bitter / depressed / but wry and humourous, intelligent (spinster, I'm really into spinster writers) type.
Sylvia Plath - too clich?? also bleak and depressing but 50s aesthetic, so could be interesting. Not that much 50s stuff in ACNL, though. I've already got this bleak thing happening with Emily Dickinson and Emily Bront? but I'm honestly tempted to delete Emily Bront? because of how much I feel she overlaps with everyone else? Despite my honours dissertation being on her.
J.K. Rowling - No, too obvious, I LOVE her, but no.

Shakespeare - I could make a room based on different plays, plus a room as the globe theatre? Might be fun to play with. Not so many contemporary futniture in the NL catalogue tho.
Edgar Allen Poe - No. Too popular. Done to death.

Last edited:
What a unique idea! I've really never heard of this kind of theme being done before so nice one for being so original! :)
I like the idea of Shakespeare actually, I think the house would be easy to decorate since there's a lot of furniture that could match his different plays - Romeo and Juliet/Macbeth.

Oh my god, thank you SO MUCH for replying! I was going to be so devasted haha. Yeah, I wanted to get a sense even of what people just wanted to see, and thank you so much for the compliment! I was leaning towards Shakespeare too!! I'm a Shakespeare superfan, so very happy to explore it in ACNL!

Last edited:
I cant help you much because I know almost nothing about literature, but it is a great idea overall!! It's such a unique thing you came up with there! My friend's a fan of Jane Austen so I'd go with that lol. I'd pick Shakespeare myself cus that's the only one I know and find interesting to make stuff with! I think your town would be pretty cool :p

I think Shakespeare would be a good fit too. If you want more writers in the future, how about Mary Shelley? You could use the creepy or spooky furniture sets or even better, the furniture in the Mad Scientist set.

I cant help you much because I know almost nothing about literature, but it is a great idea overall!! It's such a unique thing you came up with there! My friend's a fan of Jane Austen so I'd go with that lol. I'd pick Shakespeare myself cus that's the only one I know and find interesting to make stuff with! I think your town would be pretty cool :p

That's okay! It's actually really helpful to see what people want to see themselves anyway. I feel like Jane Austen would work really well, I agree. Her and Shakespeare would be my top choices if I were to really think about it. They are both the most popular and immediately recognisable to people in general.

I'm so glad people think it's an original idea! Just knowing people might want to see it is so nice, because yeah, it can be a bit niche?

Thanks for your opinion!

- - - Post Merge - - -

I think Shakespeare would be a good fit too. If you want more writers in the future, how about Mary Shelley? You could use the creepy or spooky furniture sets or even better, the furniture in the Mad Scientist set.

Thanks for the suggestion, it's a great one! I did think of it, but only after I made the post, and did think the same spooky / mad scientist thing would work well but I was just like "Oh well, got enough spooky stuff up there." Maybe I will make TWO literature based towns! Just to fit all the writers I want. Omg.

I think I would keep Emily Bront? (and Emily Dickinson, of course), and add either Virginia Woolf or Sylvia Plath. :)

Shakespeare all the way! I love the idea of the different plays :)

I love this idea so much! *^* Will you be sharing your dream address when it's done?

Also, may I suggest Oscar Wilde? He might make an interesting fit.

Good idea, will Shakespeare actually fit (Length wise)?
His contemporary - Marlowe

Do you want all girl characters? The how about Little Women - Louisa May Alcott, If names have to be 8 letters or less (or am I muddling it with town names?), doesn't fit unless you shorten it somehow or just use the first name.

Other girl based novels - Frances Hodgeson Burnett - Little Princess and the Secret Garden.
Other authoresses - E Nesbit (would have to google for her first name) - the railway children, (couldn't leave it - its Edith)
Eleanor Farjeon - another well know poetess, with an unusual surname.
Also Daphne Du Maurier
The other two Bronte sisters - Charlotte again too long, Anne.

Boy characters? Charles Dickens. Dickens would work as a first name.
All the male Victorian poets - tho not sure their surnames would fit - Swinburne, Coleridge, Shelley (Percy Bysshe), Tennyson, Byron, Wordsworth, Keats ... and many more.

I'm in the UK, & therefore biased towards English ones cos those were the ones I was taught in school, but so many good American ones Mark Twain, Herman Melville (Moby Dick) but I would have to start to google, so will leave for you!

I keep editing this and adding more! Gotta stop.

Last edited:
Shakespeare would be fun.There's so much you could do. I also love the Poe idea. Both would be such fun characters to create, in my opinion.

I don't have a lot of knowledge of the authors listed, but I would choose Sylvia Plath just because I think it would be fun to decorate in a 1950s aesthetic. :)

How about George Orwell? Like, have an 1984-esque house with security cameras and modern furniture. But the George Orwell's idea is too modern, so I think I'll go with your list and I'm going to pick... Poe? A macabre/gothic character would be interesting.

Back