• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

3DS News All In One

WHat do you think about the AR cards?

• They look really cool

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Bad

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I don't know

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

Fillfall

My Magikarp will slap you to death
Bells
Mailbox
3DS Information

[size=+3]Announcement: Since the 3DS is released this thread will only give you information about it[/size]

So instead of creating freaking many threads I decided to have it all in one thread. Thanks to Jas0n for the idea.
I just need to find all my old threads and post them here, then I'm going to request Jeremy to delete the old threads or lock them.
Don't post until I say it's okay.

[size=+1]A little guide to 3DS sound[/size]

The application allows you to record a series of sounds with the system’s microphone and then edit and combine these sounds into tracks. You’re able to store up to 180 10-second audio clips on what I suspect is the included 2GB SD card (I’m assuming a bigger SD card could store a lot more files). But, what makes this feature killer is that via the StreetPass functionality you’re able to see the popularity of other people’s creations as you pass by them on the street. Once again, I’d assume you’re also able to listen to their tunes, which to me is more exciting than a lot of the previous ideas for how StreetPass could be used.

[size=+1]No more point cards![/size]
So I herd you hate point cards?

You know xbox live got point cards? Nintendo has been doing the same thing too with their own points system. But no more! When the Nintendo 3DS eShop hits the Nintendo 3DS (it won’t be available at launch) all the digital content will have a real, cash value attached to it. So, instead of paying 1000 points for a game, you may pay $10 in your own currency. Ah, clarity! This sounds like a simple change but aside from universal friend codes, I think it’s probably the coolest announcement in the past 24 hours

[size=+1]Friends list confirmed for the Nintendo 3DS and other details about the home menu[/size]
The Nintendo 3DS Home menu is full of magic and wonder. At pretty much any time you can open up the menu and be greeted with a joyous bounty of useful options. Most notably is a friends list. Yep, along with universal friend codes Nintendo has given us the other critical part of the puzzle: a way to easily keep track of people we want to play games with. No one has stumbled across PictoChat in the operating system yet, so it sounds like it’s been killed off, although it might simply be a feature that has yet to be implemented.

There’s also a Notifications List that brings together all the notifications from the StreetPass and SpotPass functionality. Whenever data is downloaded from Nintendo’s servers or another person’s 3DS you can simply check this tab to get all the details. This is in addition to the small LED light that springs to life when you receive a piece of data while your 3DS is asleep or you’re playing a game.

Sources: Nintendo blog

[size=+1]All currently announced games for the 3DS[/size]
Tell me if I forgot something.

Nintendo Developed and Published Games
Animal Crossing 3DS
Kid Icarus Uprising
The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D
Mario Kart 3DS
Nintendogs + Cats
Paper Mario
Pilotwings Resort
Star Fox 3D
Steel Diver
Super Mario Bros 3DS
Super Monkey Ball 3D?

Likely to be published by Nintendo in some regions
Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle
Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney

Third Party
Ace Combat 3D
Animal Resort
Asphalt GT
Assassin's Creed: Lost Legacy
Batman (working title)
Carnival Games
Chocobo Racing 3D
Class of Heroes 3Dx3D
Combat of Giants: Dinosaur Strike
Contra
Cubic Ninja
de Blob: The Underground
Dead Or Alive: Dimensions
Deca Sports Extreme
Double Pen Sports
Dragon Quest
DJ Hero 3D
Dragon Ball
Driver: Renegade
Dynasty Warriors
Earthpedia
EST
Eternal Eden
Etrian Oddysey
FIFA Soccer
Face Racers: Photo Finish
Fantasy Life
Final Fantasy
Fish On
Frogger
Gundam
Harmonix Music Project
Harvest Moon 3D
Hollywood 64
Kingdom Hearts 3D
Kororinpa
Kung Fu Panda: The Kaboom of Doom
Kyabajoppi
Lego
Licca-cham
Lion's Pride: Adventures on the Serengeti
Lovely Lisa 3D
Love Plus 3DS
Madden NFL
Martha Sterwart
Marvel Super Hero Squad: The Infinity Gauntlet
Medarot 3D'Medabots 3D
Mega Man Legends 3D
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 3D
My Garden
Naruto Shippuden Action Project
Ninja Gaiden
Omega Five
Pac-Man and Galaga
Pro Baseball Famisuta 2011
Pro Evolution Soccer
The Penguins of Madagascar
Pro Baseball Spirits 3D
Puss 'N Boots
Resident Evil: Revelations
Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D
Ridge Racer R
Runabout 3D
Samurai Warriors: Chronicle
Saints Row: Drive By
Shanghai 3D Cube
Shin Megami Tensei
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Surviver
The Sims 3
Sonic the Hedgehog
Super Monkey Ball
Super Robot Wars
Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition
Tales of the Abyss
Tank Beat 3
Time Travelers
Tobidasu! Puzzle Bobble 3D
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Lead the Ghosts
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
WonderWorld Amusement Park
Yu-Gi-Oh!

There will come more and I will update this part.

[size=+1]How does the 3DS look?[/size]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu64Q...layer_embedded
This is kinda old, but since there isn't a single thread about this I just posted it here. This is a stolen 3DS.

[size=+1]The Nintendo 3DS features a “Game Coins” system that ties in with the pedometer[/size]
Your Nintendo 3DS is not only a gaming device, it’s also a pedometer. It can track your steps and collect this data within the Activity Log application. But it seems like Nintendo are actively encouraging you to walk around with your 3DS. There’s a “Game Coins” feature built-in to the device that gives you “coins” based on how many steps you take. These coins can then be used to unlock new content in games. You may be thinking “this is stupid!” and yes, you can often trick pedometers without much hassle. But I like that Nintendo is increasing the usefulness of StreetPass mode. If everyone ends up walking around with their 3DS we all get to benefit from its more unique features.
Source:http://www.aussie-nintendo.com/news/24879/

[size=+1]Import Miis from Wii to 3DS one-way only[/size]
You will be able to transfer all your favourite Miis from your Nintendo Wii to the Nintendo 3DS however you won’t be able to send your 3DS Mii creations back. The new Mii Maker application on the Nintendo 3DS has been updated and offers more facial features and accessories than the Wii's Mii Channel. The superior selection of customisable options available on the Nintendo 3DS allows your Mii to resemble people with greater detail.

Rather than going through the effort of making a Mii for all your friends and family, the Mii Maker presents a unique and interesting feature. Using the camera you will be able to snap a shot of someone’s face and the 3DS will automatically make a Mii resembling their photo.
Source: http://www.aussie-nintendo.com/news/24986/

[size=+1]Kid Icarus Demo[/size]

[size=+1]Australian 3DS press conference February 8[/size]
Nintendo Australia have confirmed (via Gamespot) an Australian 3DS press conference will be held in Sydney on Tuesday February 8, which will unveil the pricing, release date, launch console colours and other important details. As this is a press conference, don't expect a public invite to test out the new machine before it launches.

[size=+1]Rayman 3D is basically just a remake of Rayman 2[/size]
Evoking a feeling of d?j? vu, Ubisoft has Rayman 2 planned for the 3DS' launch. It was also there to celebrate the DS' launch back in 2005, too. Back then it was known as Rayman DS, and they based it on the Nintendo 64 version.

This time Ubisoft's using the superior Dreamcast port which featured more content. So, hang on, bear with me. Rayman 3D is a port of a port of an excellent game that was ported to DS but not this port because that was a Nintendo 64 an- that's okay. Ubisoft's adding some "major updates" to the game's accessibility and learning curve.

Rayman 3D will be a 'launch window' release. Ubisoft's press release just has straight-up Dreamcast screenshots, so that's how I'm ending this sentence I guess.

Loads of trailers

Last edited:
[size=+1]Super Mario Bros 3DS :O[/size]
In the most recent update to the Iwata Asks series focusing on Mario's 25th Anniversary, Shigeru Miyamoto confirmed he is working on a new Super Mario Bros. game for the Nintendo 3DS.

"In the interests of adopting new technology for the Super Mario Bros. tradition, I am now making a new Super Mario Bros. game for the Nintendo 3DS system," Miyamoto said. In November of 2010, Miyamoto had referenced a "Mario product" was in the works for the 3DS in an interview with USA Today, but today's news clarifies that the product in question will be an actual Super Mario Bros. game.

Given the recent success of Mario's 2D revivals on Wii and DS it seems likely to assume the game will be a side-scrolling platformer, but Miyamoto didn't add any clarifications about gameplay. In November he spoke about the benefit to jumping in 3D space with the new 3DS screen effects, which provide extra visual information about environment depth and object placement.

In earlier generations Nintendo made a point of launching new hardware with a Mario game of some kind, a trend that began with the original NES and continued with Super Nintendo, N64, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance and DS. In recent years Mario has missed the system launches of the GameCube and Wii. The 3DS will continue that trend with only three first party launch window games, none of which are Mario games.

Miyamoto said of Mario's enduring family appeal, "it's important to always use the most advanced technology for Mario in order to create something no one has ever seen before." While he made no further hints as to how Mario's 3DS game will explore previously unseen territory, he confessed his desire to show the game "as soon as possible."
Source: IGN

[size=+1]Facts about the 3DS [/size]
First of all, the part that has worried quite a few long time Nintendo fans... the battery time. It's not great.

The battery time is five hours at max screen brightness and best settings, and eight hours if you change the screen brightmess (or in other words, if you play the game in near darkness). Apparently it depends on operating conditions, which is a bit vague (really? Is this a console that lasts less battery wise in heavy rainfall? I guess I can see what conditions do mean though, it won't last long in a war zone or if a hurricane is in the area).

Games can be up to 2 gigabytes in size game card wise. For comparison, I hear 128 MB is the max size of a DS game card. So quite an improvement then.

It also comes with an AC Adapter (WAP-002) and a Battery Pack with lithium batteries (CTR-003).

Other features noted are the standard controls (A, B, X, Y, D Pad, L and R buttons, Start and select buttons, a slide pad, a touch screen, a microphone, two cameras, a motion sensor and a gyro sensor).

Cameras have a 620 x 480 resolution (with 0.3 megapixels).

It weighs 235g.

Is 134mm x 74mm in size and 21mm thick.

The other things noted are the standard 3D images with stereoscopic 3D which can be adjusted between 3D images and normal 2D.

It will automatically find free software and game information to download from the internet.

Can exchange data from other consoles when in sleep mode (what, people use that?)

It has Mii functionality, and such.

You can move your purchased downloadable games from the DSi to the 3DS, so thankfully that's not a problem like with the Wii. Unfortunately, it says you can't move some software... is this another stupid restriction like with Smash Bros Brawl.

You can play DS and DSi games on the 3DS.

Parental controls supposedly exist. Is this a good thing? I don't know, but maybe they'll scrap friend codes eventually.

wireless multiplayer has recommended distance of 30m, and something about 2.4GHz.

There's a home button like the Wii.

It comes free with a memory card, charging terminal, AC adapter, headphone connection and... I'm not sure.

Well, that's it tech wise. You can see the original I used as a source below on the official 3DS site:

Source:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/hardware/spec/index.html

I didn't type this, it's from a forum I'm on.

[size=+1]3DS menu[/size]
Nintendo America's J.C. Rodrigo walks us through the Nintendo 3DS home menu where you will discover a variety of applications pre-installed into the device.

[size=+1]Ar cards[/size]
Augmented Reality Games, or AR Games for short is Nintendo’s way of saying “Hey, our new handheld has 3D, this is a first for the world!”. Nintendo will be including six flimsy cardboard AR Game cards with your new 3DS purchase, which is the best choking hazard I’ve seen Nintendo implement since Love Plus.

The busty 3DS attendant was more than happy showing us through how the game works, and it’s the perfect and most simple way to show off the 3DS' capabilities. Setting up the game works by placing an AR card onto a flat surface, and using the two back cameras, you spend a minute trying to line up the card at a perfect 45 degree angle. From here the camera takes a snapshot, and the rest unfolds in front of your very eyes. It starts off as a humble moving yellow box with eyes. You can move the 3DS around and press A to shoot the box with your reticule. From here chaos ensues, targets are splayed across the screen, and your mission is to take them down by baton twirling around in a circle and mashing the A button. It’s like synchronised swimming for public transport.

Augmented reality indeed!

The ground expands and contracts, making it slightly more difficult each time to hit each target. The 3D screen creates so much depth that it feels like Guy Sebastian was right there, licking the inside of your eyelids. Not long after, a realistic dragon will launch at you, leaping out of the screen. It’s here that you’ll need some precision trying to aim to diffuse every last scale of the dragon, and the whole scenario turns out to be quite beautiful.

After the final defeat you’re given the time in which you completed the game in, and you’re quickly whisked away into the orderly crowd that is a Japanese convention. Overall, Nintendo’s attempt to push their own gimmick is pretty humble of them. Welcome to the future!

[size=+1]We have to wait -.-[/size]
According to a transcript of the third-quarter Nintendo financial results meeting, company President Satoru Iwata stated that a few rather important features will NOT be available to the public at the time of the 3DS's launch.

Owners of any DSiWare downloads hoping to transfer their purchases to the 3DS will have to wait for a large system update in May. That's potentially two months after the new handheld hits store shelves.

But wait, there's more!

Other missing features will be the 3DS's web browser and eShop. The eShop will be stocked with classic Game Boy and Game Boy Color titles along with videos, game demos, and whatever else Nintendo decides to upload.

Last edited:
[size=+1]3DS latest try on a 3D console?[/size]
In yet another point mentioned in the latest Iwata Asks column about the 3DS console, it seems another long rumoured thing has been shown to be true, that the 3DS is only Nintendo's latest attempt at experimenting with 3D, and that the idea was planned for various consoles long before the current one was even thought of.

Indeed, after a brief discussion of the failed Virtual Boy (everyone always brings this up nowadays, don't they?), they talk about how Miyamoto had always gone on about how Nintendo should make a system utilising the traditional (aka with glasses, Playstation style) of 3D. There's a bit of discussion about what could have happened if the Nintendo 64 and Virtual Boy had shared technology (would this have made the latter better or the former worse?), and how the Virtual Boy only failed because it tried to be a new system in it's own right.

But the interesting part was later, where they talked about how the Game Boy Advance SP could have been a 3D utilising system, and that they planned to put the technology for such into the console. It apparently failed because of the low resolution, but it's interesting to know none the less that the handheld could have done the job of the 3DS about ten years earlier.

The Gamecube was apparently also a system that could be made capable with 3D imagery, with a certain accessory:

Iwata: To go back a little further, the Nintendo GameCube12 system actually had 3D-compatible circuitry built in.
Iwata: It had the potential for such functions.

Itoi: Nintendo GameCube did? And all the Nintendo GameCubes systems around the world?

Iwata: Yeah. If you fit it with a certain accessory, it could display 3D images.

Is this a possible future project for people hacking the Gamecube, to display 3D somehow? Still, it should also be found interesting that they planned to have Luigi's Mansion in 3D, and that the game could have been scarier by utilising this functionality.

Unfortunately, the idea was scrapped because of cost (and maybe because the only thing that could have hurt Nintendo worse than the Gamecube could be a 3D capable one costing twice as much?). There's also mention of a Famicom (read, NES era) game utilising 3D. That's interesting I guess (the game mentioned is Famicom Grand Prix II: 3D Hot Rally)

And this isn't wrote by me either.

Last edited:
It would be nice if people could give me some bells for this hard work :S

Didnt bother reading the whole post.
I presume you took most of it from other websites anyway.

Also, Nintendo has confirmed that theres no achievement system in place, if you want to put that in there.

Nice job on the thread man, I can't wait to get a 3DS. ^_^

Thanks for posting the information! I wasn't expecting anything I didn't know, but I did hear/see some new things.

Thanks. I didn't even know about half of this :)

Thanks Alf! c:

Nintendogs + Cats, and Animal Crossing im soooo getting.

c:

This thread will now only be for information about the 3DS. If a MOD could lock it, that would be great.

Back