• Join us for live Nintendo Trivia today at 6PM EDT in Discord as part of TBT's World Championship 2024 to win points for your team! if justin is awake

2 A.M.

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I thought the internet wasn't supposed to be all unicorns and rainbows.

Just messing with ya. >8D
I agree, and I've definitely noticed people treating each other with a lack of respect, especially recently. :< There's nothing wrong with debating different sides of a topic, but I've often seen it turn nasty for no real reason. I think there's a lack of maturity to blame here. Hopefully, people'll learn the merits of being nice soon, because nobody can force people to be nice; they have to learn it themselves. =V

Kaleb said:
No one is really that mean on here in real life. They're all just a bunch of babies behind screens making others feel bad because they have their own problems, and that's mostly the truth, not the whole truth, but mostly. Don't take anything personally on the internet. Especially when someone five years younger than you calls you a bad name.
Speak for yourself, please.

Mino said:
Tyeforce said:
'04 Nostalgia said:
Arguing is fun.
But not when it goes borderline of becoming flaming.
I really, really look forward to the day when that word falls out of favor here. It's practically meaningless already. Flaming is outright insulting other people, it's completely removed from arguing. It severely pisses me off the way I am quite often accused of flaming when all I'm doing is arguing a point. You won't hear people throwing around accusations of flaming and victimization in a mature forum, as when someone resorts to ad hominem attacks its the equivalent of losing the argument.

So please, as you are not 13 years old anymore, stop using "flaming" as a catchall term to avoid defending your views.
I'm not referring to when you argue, I'm talking about when someone comes in saying: "You guys are morons if you believe that. Go *censored.3.0* yourselves."

Mino said:
Tyeforce said:
'04 Nostalgia said:
Arguing is fun.
I really, really look forward to the day when that word falls out of favor here. It's practically meaningless already. Flaming is outright insulting other people, it's completely removed from arguing. It severely pisses me off the way I am quite often accused of flaming when all I'm doing is arguing a point. You won't hear people throwing around accusations of flaming and victimization in a mature forum, as when someone resorts to ad hominem attacks its the equivalent of losing the argument.

So please, as you are not 13 years old anymore, stop using "flaming" as a catchall term to avoid defending your views.
I didn't say that arguments are the same as flaming, did I? No, so don't act like I did. I said that arguments here can come close to flaming. It's not flaming, no, but when some people get into arguments here, they tend to attack more than just other people's opinions, but also the individuals themselves. Arguing doesn't have to have such a rude tone to it, but there are quite a few people here, including you, who seem to think that it does.

Tyeforce said:
Mino said:
Tyeforce said:
'04 Nostalgia said:
Arguing is fun.

I didn't say that arguments are the same as flaming, did I? No, so don't act like I did. I said that arguments here can come close to flaming. It's not flaming, no, but when some people get into arguments here, they tend to attack more than just other people's opinions, but also the individuals themselves. Arguing doesn't have to have such a rude tone to it, but there are quite a few people here, including you, who seem to think that it does.
And here it begins...

I agree with Ronnie.

Tyeforce said:
Mino said:
Tyeforce said:
'04 Nostalgia said:
Arguing is fun.

What constitutes flaming is not well-defined, and your definition is yours and yours alone. There are plenty of people who refer to simple arguments as flaming, and even more people who have the jejune belief that all arguments are to be avoided. That's what's annoying me.

Mino said:
Tyeforce said:
Mino said:
Tyeforce said:
Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

What constitutes flaming is not well-defined, and your definition is yours and yours alone. There are plenty of people who refer to simple arguments as flaming, and even more people who have the jejune belief that all arguments are to be avoided. That's what's annoying me.
It's not that you shouldn't argue; it's that you shouldn't argue on TBT.

It's like arguing at a bunch of hyenas.

Mino said:
Tyeforce said:
Mino said:
Tyeforce said:

What's annoying to me is that you can be quite rude and just don't care about other people's feelings when it comes to arguments.

Tyeforce said:
Mino said:
Tyeforce said:
Mino said:
What's annoying to me is that you can be quite rude and just don't care about other people's feelings when it comes to arguments.
Because other people's feelings are not my concern. What's rude to one person is not rude to another. I can't go reading your mind, so I'm not going to try. It's your job to deal with your feelings if you can't handle a debate.

And I'm seriously wondering where you think I've been rude. I'm only rude when I'm presented with people who make it apparent that their views shouldn't be challenged, or with ignorance.

Mino said:
Tyeforce said:
Mino said:
Tyeforce said:
Because other people's feelings are not my concern. What's rude to one person is not rude to another. I can't go reading your mind, so I'm not going to try. It's your job to deal with your feelings if you can't handle a debate.

And I'm seriously wondering where you think I've been rude. I'm only rude when I'm presented with people who make it apparent that their views shouldn't be challenged, or with ignorance.
Some people are too tied up with their own beliefs and thoughts that any objection or disagreement leads them to believe that person is rude, which is the reason for all the "flaming".

Kaleb said:
Mino said:
Tyeforce said:
Mino said:

Some people are too tied up with their own beliefs and thoughts that any objection or disagreement leads them to believe that person is rude, which is the reason for all the "flaming".
Sounds pretty accurate to me.

Mino said:
Tyeforce said:
Mino said:
Tyeforce said:

You could at least, you know, try to be kind and friendly, rather than just flat out not caring.

Tyeforce said:
Mino said:
Tyeforce said:
Mino said:

You could at least, you know, try to be kind and friendly, rather than just flat out not caring.
You're just fanning the flames. I don't say that in a mean way either.

Tyeforce said:
Mino said:
Tyeforce said:
Mino said:

I've developed a disregard for people's comfortable sensibilities long ago. It comes with being an atheist in a culture where religion is pervasive and expected.

Mino said:
Tyeforce said:
Mino said:
Tyeforce said:

I've developed a disregard for people's comfortable sensibilities long ago. It comes with being an atheist in a culture where religion is pervasive and expected.
Atheism has nothing to do with being kind and friendly. I have friends who are atheists, and they're some of the nicest people I know. Your religion doesn't determine your personality, you do.

Tyeforce said:
Mino said:
Tyeforce said:
Mino said:
Atheism has nothing to do with being kind and friendly. I have friends who are atheists, and they're some of the nicest people I know. Your religion doesn't determine your personality, you do.
Yup. Though I think he means that, since he lives in a world where other ideas are being pushed on him, he has decided to just not regard their concerns. Although I am a Christian, and have my own beliefs, I'd not push them onto other people, or try not to, if they are uncomfortable about it. It'd be like a Buddhist persecuting me or telling me to believe what they believe. (No stabs at anyone intended)

Kaleb said:
Tyeforce said:
Mino said:
Tyeforce said:
Quoting limited to 4 levels deeptry to be kind and friendly, rather than just flat out not caring.
Yup. Though I think he means that, since he lives in a world where other ideas are being pushed on him, he has decided to just not regard their concerns.
Then that's his problem for judging other people before he even knows them. Some people may try to push their beliefs on you, but certainly not everyone. And if he hates people who do that so much, then he's being a bit of a hypocrite, because he's tried to push his believes on others, too.

Tyeforce said:
Kaleb said:
Tyeforce said:
Mino said:
Quoting limited to 4 levels deeptry
Yup. Though I think he means that, since he lives in a world where other ideas are being pushed on him, he has decided to just not regard their concerns.
Then that's his problem for judging other people before he even knows them. Some people may try to push their beliefs on you, but certainly not everyone. And if he hates people who do that so much, then he's being a bit of a hypocrite, because he's tried to push his believes on others, too.
Yeah, but then again we all do it, but we try not to, in some way or fashion. It's more of an oblivious thing than it is them just trying to tell you what's right in wrong. Like, what I'm saying now could be somehow in some way be found offensive to someone.

Wow, this got to the topic of religion... what now...
Oh that's right!

<big><big><big><big><big><big><big><big><big><big><span style="color:red">HITLER!

Tyeforce said:
Kaleb said:
Tyeforce said:
Mino said:
Quoting limited to 4 levels deeptry
You're getting telling him he's wrong for pushing beliefs on others, but that's exactly what you're doing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back