• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

[Guide] Fool Proof Guide to Moving Villagers OUT

Elaine

♡ ニヤー
Bells
Cake
Mailbox
I recently saw this up on tumblr, all credits to the user Bamdom. For reference, See Original guide here.

I've been trying it out and it seems to work a lot better than the other method we're all trying currently (jump two days, two days back), so I thought I'd share it with TBT. I know a lot of our users use tumblr too so they may know of this already, but it doesn't hurt to share.

tumblr_mr77etby7c1sx75bpo1_400.gif

Alternatively titled: How to Get Your Dream Villagers Faster Without Royally Messing Things Up for Yourself (◡‿◡✿)

So over the weeks I’ve amassed a reliable system through trial and error on how to move out villagers quickly and efficiently. In the past 3 days I’ve moved out a total of 23 unwanted/trading villagers without a single loss of a dream villager, so I’d say the success rate is pretty good, no?

So here I am, sharing my technique with you.

First thing’s first, I need to shed some light on one thing:

-> Whoever told everyone to use the “go forward two days then go backwards two days” technique has clearly been living under a rock. I’ve personally tried it and not only did it not work, there’s almost a guarantee that it will mess your town up. Going forward two days at a time is never a safe bet (unless you’re doing it during a period of- well I’ll get into that later) but long story short, DON’T DO IT. Also, going backwards in time does not count as days moved through time?? So no, it does not count as 4 days total.

-> That’s about all I have to say on the matter. If you value the villagers you have, don’t travel two days into the future, ever, unless it’s while you’re following my steps. I know someone who lost not their own, but a friend’s dream villager, because they were using this particular moving technique. It’s not safe. End of story.
NOW THAT THAT’S SETTLED, LET’S MOVE ONTO MY STUFF

Two things you need to know about before reading this guide:

(1): Exiting Period - The Exiting period occurs when you have 9 villagers in your town. This is the time frame during which villagers will ask you to move out. *Villagers will not move out during this period of time.
(2): Entering Period - The Entering period occurs when you have less than 9 villagers (1-8) in your town. This is the time frame during which villagers will move into your town.

[ THE GUIDE: ]
Foreword; It seems lengthy, but it’s not. I’m just really detailed.
Also, if you don’t know by now, ignoring villagers you don’t want is the best way to get them to move. If you hit them with nets or talk to them, they put themselves into a friend category ladder which disallows them from moving before others. My guide is made under the assumption that you know this already.

1. If you don’t time travel, then stop reading here, you silly bean.
2. You should have at least 8 villagers in your town before starting this. If you don’t - stop, drop, and roll your way into the game and get them. The simplest way of doing that would be to just time travel day to day and get them …
3. One of the 8 villagers in your town will act as a safety net for other villagers. You will talk to this villager frequently, so they should be a villager you don’t want to get rid of. Choose who they will be now. (They will occasionally ask to move out as well, considering villagers who are your best friends ask to move out as frequently as those who you ignore).
4. (Optional) Enact the Beautiful Town ordinance at your Town Hall before doing anything else. This will make it so your town doesn’t wreck itself through your time traveling antics.
5.Now you’re ready to begin the hard work. You have 8 villagers currently which means you’re in the Entering Period and one will be moving in soon to finish filling up your town. What you do is time travel day by day, never skipping a day, until you finally get a 9th villager to move in. Congrats, you probably don’t like him/her.
6. Once you get your 9th villager, you’ll transition into the Exiting Period. This is when a villager will want to move out.
7.Time travel 4 days into the future from the day your 9th villager moves in. Trust me. After a 9th villager moves in, you can skip a few days simply because the game never moves a villager out within 4-5 days after one just moved in.
8. Go to the villager you selected as your safety net and talk to them as many times as you want (around 10-15 times to be safe) and if they never mention that anyone is thinking of moving out, then you’re in the clear.
9. Time travel to the next day and repeat Step 8. Keep time traveling to the next day, then the next day, then the next day, until finally, this villager tells you someone is planning on moving.
10. Read 11a if you want to keep that villager, and 11b below if you want them to leave. After a villager wants to leave who you no longer want and you’ve read step 11b, skip on to #1 on the second list. (I couldn’t make it 12, thanks Tumblr).

11A - IF YOU WANT TO KEEP THE VILLAGER WHO IS LEAVING:

1. Try talking to the villager immediately and do anything you can to convince them to stay. If they’re in a store, time travel a few hours ahead and see if their outside. Don’t give up, and don’t go too far into the future.
2. Once you convince them to stay, repeat steps 7-10.

11B - IF YOU WANT THE VILLAGER WHO IS LEAVING TO LEAVE:

1. Now that you know who is moving out, you have a sense of security, most likely. Time travel to the next day and the next day and so on, walking past that villager every day until the (!) pops up over their head. If they never talk to you, then Isabelle will just tell you their moving on the day they move. If they do talk to you, time travel to the day they tell you they are leaving.
2. Say goodbye to that bugger and time travel to the next day.
3. Yay, he’s gone.

1. Once you’ve moved out a villager, you should be down to 8 villagers. You’re now back in the Entering Period. No villagers will move out during this time.
2. Villagers will almost always move in 2-3 days after a villager of yours has moved out, if not, then 3-5 days. (Depends on if holidays or tournaments interrupt the schedule).
3. The day after your 9th villager is gone, time travel 2 days into the future.
4. Once you’ve done that, time travel day by day for one or two days until Isabelle tells you someone has moved in.
5. Greet that villager the first day they arrive, or else they won’t move out for a very long time.
6. Now that you’re back at 9 villagers, you can repeat the entire process from step 5 and on!
7. THAT’S IT. IT’S SIMPLE, REALLY.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

If I use your method, I’ll end up really far in time. How do I time travel back to where I was without ruining anything?:

If you end up going really far in time (by months), the safest way to go back in time is to time travel back a few months right after a villager has moved in (and again, by that I mean once they’re in your town and unpacked). What I usually do is time travel from July 30th to October 30th, and once October 30th comes I simply skip back to July 30th in one jump. Nothing has ever happened to my villagers this way.

What happens if I have 10 villagers? Can I still use your guide?

Absolutely! The only difference that occurs when you have 10 villagers is as follows. So let’s say your 10th villager just moved in because you asked them to (you couldn’t pass up a dream villager in the campsite). After that 10th villager moves in, you basically follow the guide from Step 7 and on, as if they were your 9th villager. Once you boot a villager out, you’ll have 9 villagers, and here is where the difference comes into play.

Before, when you’d have 9 villagers and drop down to 8, you’d switch to the Entering Period, meaning a villager would be moving in. However, if you drop from 10 to 9, you will still be in an Exiting Period, which means you follow the guide accordingly (from Step 7 and on again).

So the difference is that there’s two Exiting Periods instead of one because the game is designed to only make villagers move once you’re at 9-10 villagers, and designed to move villagers in when you’re at 1-8 villagers.

—————————————————————————————————————-

If this doesn’t work, then you’re doing something horribly wrong and you probably shouldn’t blame me, because my success rate has been 100% so far. ( <- This is a sarcastic joke, by the way. Not the 100% success rate thing, though )

Last edited:
This is pretty much what I have been doing, not exactly, but pretty damn close. For the sake of convenience would you mind adding numbers to your list? I had no problem going back steps but it would just be that much easier if the numbers were there. Overall great guide ^^ thanks for posting so people can try it

This is pretty much what I have been doing, not exactly, but pretty damn close. For the sake of convenience would you mind adding numbers to your list? I had no problem going back steps but it would just be that much easier if the numbers were there. Overall great guide ^^ thanks for posting so people can try it

Ah shoot, Sorry! As originally stated I was sharing the guide since I found it on tumblr. I guess the code for the numbers probably didn't get copied along from that. I'll update it now, thanks for catching that!

Has anyone else tested out the TTing backwards a couple months after a villager has moved in part and verified that no villagers move out? Is the guide creator referring to when the 8th or 9th villager moves in..? Or in general...? A little confused about that. I TTed backwards day by day and had villagers asking me to move so I'm guessing TTing backwards a couple months altogether doesn't cause villagers to move?

Last edited:
Sooo yeah, I have no idea which ones are numbers 7-12 xD But I guess you know that lol. And Bamdom's navigation bar on Tumblr is blocking me from being able to see anything >_>

-> Once you get your 9th villager, you’ll transition into the Exiting Period. This is when a villager will want to move out.

This part here. I'm confused when it actually starts. It says when you get your 9th villager moves in. Is that when you find the plot? Or when they actually move in with boxes? Or the day after boxes, where they become a normal villager? I'm pretty sure this is very important, but isn't explained in-depth

Note: If you end up going really far in time (by months), the safest way to go back in time is to time travel back a few months right after a villager has moved in. What I usually do is time travel from July 30th to October 30th, and once October 30th comes I simply skip back to July 30th in one jump. Nothing has ever happened to my villagers this way.

This part isn't 100% clear either. I'm assuming that you're able to do a full jump back from any date, as long as it's done right after a villager moves in? And what exactly is meant by "moves in" (same as my previous question above)? And does this still work if you needed to jump a whole year back? Just as long as it's after someone moves in, whatever that means?

Last edited:
Has anyone else tested out the TTing backwards a couple months after a villager has moved in part and verified that no villagers move out? Is the guide creator referring to when the 8th or 9th villager moves in..? Or in general...? A little confused about that. I TTed backwards day by day and had villagers asking me to move so I'm guessing TTing backwards a couple months altogether doesn't cause villagers to move?

I have moved back months even years at a time and nothing has happened to me thus so far. I'm nearly 100% sure villagers do not move out from moving backwards.

This part here. I'm confused when it actually starts. It says when you get your 9th villager moves in. Is that when you find the plot? Or when they actually move in with boxes? Or the day after boxes, where they become a normal villager? I'm pretty sure this is very important, but isn't explained in-depth

I don't know if it matters, usually when I find the plot I personally jump to the day it's boxed, then to the day said indivudual is actually in the town, then go from there. Since you are literally going day by day after the first big jump, I don't think it'll be an issue but I'll do more testing.

Your questions about the guide would serve better answers if you asked the actual person who made the guide

http://bamdom.tumblr.com/

elaine was just kind enough to post his guide for easy access on TBT.

[you do not have to register with Tumblr to ask a question as long as they allow anonymous asks]

Last edited:
His navigation bar is blocking everything on my screen, so I can't submit a question :/ I tried <_<

Edit: Ah, well I'm just going to assume it's the day that they're in boxes in your town, since he did mention saying that you had to make sure to talk to them while they're in boxes. I dunno, but I'm just assuming this. It seems like a safe assumption, though

Last edited:
His navigation bar is blocking everything on my screen, so I can't submit a question :/ I tried <_<

What do you mean? Are you on a mobile device or mini laptop? The mobile version of tumblr may be the cause, or he may not have enabled it to default to the mobile setting, in that case it'd be better to wait until you're on a PC.

Last edited:
1JaupZ4.png

It's because he set the HTML code so that the bar was given static positioning, which can be bad because there's a high chance that it can block things on different screen resolutions and internet browsers

Edit: Oh, and no, I'm a gigantic monitor that's the size of a small TV

And was it static? I can't really remember rofl, I just know it's the position code that was set wrong

Last edited:
nevermind completely misunderstood what you said lol. Idk why people would even use static positioning, but I know if you make your resolution for the window smaller you will be given a sideways scrollbar

Last edited:
Lol it's cool

And I guess I just remembered about zooming and out in the browser, so I'm able to finally ask it >_>

It might also just be suited for certain browsers. Mine doesn't do that, but I'm also not using google chrome and I never usually have issues with window sizes.

Oh, I looked through the coding, and it was "Relative", not static x.x Lol, but yeah, that's not a good position to use

Yeah, it happens on on certain browser and screen resolutions. Learned it in a website design class. She told us to never to NEVER use relative because stuff like this happens. I think static is the good one that we were supposed to use xD I can't really remember. It was either static or fixed, I think

But umm, yeah, I sent him a message xD And I'm going to send a message to him about his layout, too >_>

But umm, yeah, I sent him a message xD And I'm going to send a message to him about his layout, too >_>

Keep in mind most tumblr layouts are made by other people and users just copypasta codes. Check his sidebar and see the little + mark beside all the other icons? That takes you to the theme creater. He probably has no idea how to fix it unless he has a background in such.

So ummm yeah, ignoring this coding stuff

Does anyone know what the average number of days it takes to move someone out after someone else already requests to leave? I know it will be at least 4, but I'd like a range or average

And yeah, I've been testing how long it takes someone to move out for the past few days. It's just that I would have never guessed that time travelling backwards does nothing x.x It doesn't even seem like you can TT someone out backwards, now that I think about it. Del wanted to move out on the 12th, which was in 5 days. I TT'd 5 days backwards to see what happens and he was still there. TT'd 5 days back to current date, he's still there. He didn't move until I actually got to the 12th. I dunno, that just seemed interesting

It also seems that it will always take 5 days for them to move out from requesting date. I dunno, maybe not, but all 6 requests that I've recorded seem to show this. So it's probably safe to jump 4-5 days if you're absolutely sure no one is moving. This might speed up the process, but might be kinda risky since 6 attempts isn't a really high number x.x

- - - Post Merge - - -

Keep in mind most tumblr layouts are made by other people and users just copypasta codes. Check his sidebar and see the little + mark beside all the other icons? That takes you to the theme creater. He probably has no idea how to fix it unless he has a background in such.

Ahh, I guess that makes sense... :/ Well, message was sent already, can't stop it lol

Last edited:
i used to do the 2 days forward/2 days back method and it used to work wonders, but it just doesn't seem to work for me anymore. i'm going to give this method a go.

on another note, does anyone notice that villagers that you obtained from other villagers (through trades) are about 2-3 times more likely to ask to leave as opposed to villagers that originated in your town? or is that just me? :/

i just tried this and it worked. im definitely gonna be testing this more on my alt town ^^

- - - Post Merge - - -

okay i tried it a second time and isabelle tells me my 'safety' villager is moving. soo idk.

And yeah, I've been testing how long it takes someone to move out for the past few days. It's just that I would have never guessed that time travelling backwards does nothing x.x It doesn't even seem like you can TT someone out backwards, now that I think about it. Del wanted to move out on the 12th, which was in 5 days. I TT'd 5 days backwards to see what happens and he was still there. TT'd 5 days back to current date, he's still there. He didn't move until I actually got to the 12th. I dunno, that just seemed interesting.

Time Traveling backwards does something, from my experience. What you post definitely is interesting because my experience has been very different than yours--and they contradict it, in fact. I've TT'd and a villager would tell me they're leaving on a specific date. If I then TT backward and then forward again, in every case I've done this, the leave date for the villager is earlier than the date they originally gave. TT'ing backwards definitely eats up days.

I've had a villager move in and then thought I'd be safe if I TT'd back a month. I was wrong. I lost Kabuki in the time warp even though I made only one giant leap backwards from the date that a new villager moved into town. TT'ing backward may not work the same as TT'ing forward, but in my experience it always has an impact on leaving villagers. Not to mention, I had wake-up hair and Isabelle yelled at me for being away so long.

Last edited:
Back