• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Question on clearing my villager void

ravenblue

Bells
Do I just need to visit a town that already has ten villagers? And only the one visit will clear the void? Thanks!

Thanks - and I just need to visit a town with ten villagers one time? Not visit multiple times to clear out everyone?

Is there any sure way to know it got cleared?

Yes, one visit will clear your void completely! There's no way to check, but if you've been through any town's gates and the game was saved (that is, no resetti appeared and either the other player ended session or you left by train), you're clear and safe to go. :)
Just to add: even if you visit a town that has less than 10 villagers, your void will be cleared any way. The difference is that you'll leave a "gift" for the player to find on the next day, but any other town you visit later will be safe. :)

Yes, one visit will clear your void completely! There's no way to check, but if you've been through any town's gates and the game was saved (that is, no resetti appeared and either the other player ended session or you left by train), you're clear and safe to go. :)
Just to add: even if you visit a town that has less than 10 villagers, your void will be cleared any way. The difference is that you'll leave a "gift" for the player to find on the next day, but any other town you visit later will be safe. :)

Ha! Thanks! I want to avoid leaving unwanted gifts, that's why all the questions.

Just another tip about the void: if you have multiple villagers in your void and pay a visit to a town that has less than 10, the one animal that will move there is random among the ones inside the void; the others will be erased completely. So if you someday happen to want to pass on a villager that is in your void to someone, make sure to clean your void before the move out, so when they do, it will be the only one there. Then do not visit anyone else until you go to their 9 or less villager filled town and voila! :)

Just another tip about the void: if you have multiple villagers in your void and pay a visit to a town that has less than 10, the one animal that will move there is random among the ones inside the void; the others will be erased completely. So if you someday happen to want to pass on a villager that is in your void to someone, make sure to clean your void before the move out, so when they do, it will be the only one there. Then do not visit anyone else until you go to their 9 or less villager filled town and voila! :)

Excellent, thanks! I have a villager in one town that I don't want to lose, but she is awkwardly placed there and I was thinking I may adopt her to my other town where she would actually be ideal to that town's theme, so that is helpful advice if I decide to move her at some point.

I hope yall don't mind me asking here since it's relevant, but what is the villager void? :0

I hope yall don't mind me asking here since it's relevant, but what is the villager void? :0

Don't mind at all :)

When villagers move out of your town, they sit in your game's system, in what became known as 'the void', waiting to be deposited into someone else's town via internet visit or streetpass. Sometimes when you visit others, they have less than 10 villagers in their town and do not want a surprise move-in. That's why I wanted to make sure my 'void' was cleared before visiting.

If an animal moves out of your town and no one comes to adopt them while they're in boxes, the next day their house will be gome and they'll be inside your town's "void". That means that if you visit a town that has space (9 or less villagers, or 10 if one is in boxes), the villager inside your void will be attracted by your visit and move into that other town. Most people hate getting voided villagers, since they're not expected, wanted and most times, since the person doesn't know they're moving in, there's no plot resetting and they may destruct trees, bushes, etc.
So it's common courtesy to clean your void every time you have a move out that's not adopted, since if you don't, you may pass this villager along to someone who does not want them and will be upset. :)

OH I see!! Thank you both of you, that actually explains a lot. I knew that villagers could move into other's towns while connecting but i didn't know how it worked. That's quite interesting, I'll be sure to try and start clearing out my void as well before i plan on connecting from now on :0

OH I see!! Thank you both of you, that actually explains a lot. I knew that villagers could move into other's towns while connecting but i didn't know how it worked. That's quite interesting, I'll be sure to try and start clearing out my void as well before i plan on connecting from now on :0

You can always ask if people's towns are full before coming, or if they don't mind getting voided villagers - some people happen to like them. :)
I confess I have forgotten to do this a few times before too... luckily it seems that the towns were always full and the trip cleared my void too, so whew! ;v;

Not to be a downer, but previous threads seem to indicate that void clearing isn't a 100% certain thing. Here are a few older threads about it on TBT:

http://www.belltreeforums.com/showthread.php?387935-visitor-didn-t-clear-void&highlight=clear+void

http://www.belltreeforums.com/showthread.php?213012-Clearing-your-void

http://www.belltreeforums.com/showthread.php?212580-The-void-myth

http://www.belltreeforums.com/showthread.php?109665-What-is-with-the-void

I don't have much experience with it myself, since I don't frequently trade villagers with other people, especially since the amiibo update. But I've heard several users claim they've cleared their voids and still given someone an unwanted move-in, so I would be cautious about relying on it too heavily.

Not to be a downer, but previous threads seem to indicate that void clearing isn't a 100% certain thing. Here are a few older threads about it on TBT:

http://www.belltreeforums.com/showthread.php?387935-visitor-didn-t-clear-void&highlight=clear+void

http://www.belltreeforums.com/showthread.php?213012-Clearing-your-void

http://www.belltreeforums.com/showthread.php?212580-The-void-myth

http://www.belltreeforums.com/showthread.php?109665-What-is-with-the-void

I don't have much experience with it myself, since I don't frequently trade villagers with other people, especially since the amiibo update. But I've heard several users claim they've cleared their voids and still given someone an unwanted move-in, so I would be cautious about relying on it too heavily.

Well, this is the first I've heard of this!
In my experience, if you visit another town after a move out your void will be clear. All online activities I've done help to prove this theory. Maybe those people thought they had cleared but there was an error and the visit wasn't saved/registered?
Anyways... I still believe that the clearing of void works if you do it right.

If I ever get a spare cartridge, I might have to do my own experimenting. I wonder if anything changed after the update...

One more question: if I have villagers in my void and someone with less than 10 villagers in their town visits my town, can they pick up one of my voids?

One more question: if I have villagers in my void and someone with less than 10 villagers in their town visits my town, can they pick up one of my voids?

Not 100% sure, but I believe it's a risk. The voided villagers I've received were from people that visited me, but I believe it works the other way around too?

Not 100% sure, but I believe it's a risk. The voided villagers I've received were from people that visited me, but I believe it works the other way around too?

The implications of creepiness in picking up a voided villager by visiting someone else's town - haha! Like those stories of taking home spirits from visiting a graveyard. (My imagination works overtime and I can come up with all kinds of backstories, which is probably why I like this game so much :) )

The implications of creepiness in picking up a voided villager by visiting someone else's town - haha! Like those stories of taking home spirits from visiting a graveyard. (My imagination works overtime and I can come up with all kinds of backstories, which is probably why I like this game so much :) )

Oh wow! So they die when they move out and their spirits lingers to the innocent visitors... indeed that's creepypasta material! :p

Back