• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Slumps and Blocks

Warrior

Ultimate Warrior
Bells
Spring Sakura
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
How do you guys deal with slumps and art blocks? I've been drawing plenty traditionally (I just wip out the sketchbook in long queues and the like) but haven't been able to will myself to finish a piece in ages.

How often do you experience art block? Do you know what causes it? What helps alleviate it for you?

I just want to hear about other people's experience with this problem ^^;

I tend to fall into long slumps, with short bursts of hyper productivity. My longest art slumps have lasted years. In fact I went about 2 whole years with out drawing recently enough, and this is from someone who her whole early teens spent at least an hour a day drawing : Every Single Day.

I'm going to try throw myself back into traditional art again, so let's hope I can actually finish a piece (it's been weeks lol)

I get art block all the time lol

typically when I get into a slump, I do a lot of sketch dumps of things I'm really into rn
I don't like the idea of 'forcing' yourself to draw, but you gotta do it if you wanna stay into it, even if it's just drawing dumb little doodles all the time

finding inspiration is really good! I kinda stopped drawing until I got into JoJo, then I got myself to start trying to draw all the crazy styles/proportions/etc that go on there, and it helped be get back in the swing!

If I get art block, I just draw my ocs, and try different styles.
Also, definitely doing traditional is more relaxing imo. So trying out new styles and drawing stuff your comfortable drawing.
Don't forget to have a cup of tea and a biscuit ;)

listen to some music. or perhaps watch a cartoon to get some motivation. It works for me at least.

I do lots of traditional art, so usually when I have an art block I scribble random things— chibis with weird proportions, realistic eyes, hair and clothes, whatever comes to my head until i figure out what big project i want to work on next. I also lile to look around tumblr, deviantart, or even just google images for inspiration. sometimes it’s also just best to take a break from drawing until inspiration hits.

I legit have a folder filled with stuff that I sketched but don't have the skills (at that point and probably now haha) to complete. When I'm bored/unmotivated I go back to an old sketch and try my best to finish it.

i feel like i'm in a constant state of writer's block with an occasional jump out of it, like, every few months. maybe it's the depression.

usually if i know i need to write, i try to get myself into the mindset. since i usually write fanfic, i immerse myself into the source material for a bit and that helps me get back into the mood and stuff.

i don't know much about artist's block, though, since i don't really draw, or at least im not confident in myself enough to draw.
but it helps your motivation to be in a good mood! like the others said, take a bite to eat, watch cartoons, listen to music, do things that you love.
good luck :)

Thanks for all the feedback guys, been drawing stuff but not very happy with it lol.... oh well!

Back