• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Which system is better? Imperial or Metric?

Which measurement system do you prefer more?

• Total voters
Yeah glad I don't live in the US (or any other country with such ******** system) and yeah that chart above is pretty accurate...

According to the poll, Metric is more popular by a landslide. Even among American members.

I still don't really like the metric system. I may have to get used to it when I'm in science, but I'm not going to adapt to it being our primary system for anything other than science.

However, unlike most arguments, there isn't a strong argument that defends the imperial system, yet I don't believe in forcing people to change their lifestyles.

I'm surprised by the amount of Americans who believe that metric is better. I wouldn't have called that. I would've expected people to vote for the system they're used to, because it would make more sense to them which is understandable.

But you are right, it isn't necessary for everyone to use the same units. Carrying on from Stalfos's point, it's about understanding the different systems and being able to convert between the two when necessary. It's very important in science and engineering to know how to convert between different units, probably more so in engineering. You have to be able to express your answers in different units since not everyone in the world uses the same types of units. In science, you may be given data that you'd have to convert units to make it more convenient, or for whatever reason. In engineering, you may be given something in imperial units but the equipment needed might be given in metric or vice versa. I've fallen into the trap before when my lecturers have told us that you need to know how to convert between the two and I didn't take them seriously, until I came to the final exam and everything was in imperial units. So understanding and knowing these units is so important.

^reason why i failed at maths and never took more than we had to...

on the other since we never use imperial idfk why they even force us to use it anyways if there are like only a few countries "left" with it

Back