• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What do you think about macbooks?

zeoli

[Noah : he/him]
Bells
う
ど
I was curious because I own a macbook that my grandpa handed down to me a few years back when I started college. I've used it, but I personally hate it. We also use mac computers at school and I equally hate them as well. In turn, I prefer windows laptops. I also own two of those at the moment as well.

For me, other than adobe products, I can't find any personal use for them. My main art program doesn't work well on Macs and most of the games I do play don't work well on them either if not at all.

It doesn't help either that when something goes wrong, my grandpa screams about how I need to stop using windows laptops. Mind you, he says that in a much ruder way and full of swearing. Then he goes on about how I need to learn to use "better" programs much in the same rude way.

So, I wanted to ask, what do you guys think of Macbooks? What do you like or dislike about them? Do you have a preference?

Can't wait for responses :blush:

I've always preferred Windows. I just don't like the way Mac "feels" if that makes sense, I've been a Windows person since the age of dinosaur computers so I guess I'm just more comfortable with them. I don't like navigating on a Mac and we had them in school too and I found them to be more, I don't know, more laggy? I don't know if it was because of the programs and stuff we used or the load of all the computers on the server at school but I just never really liked them. But I chalk it up as more of a personal preference as I don't have TONS of experience using them.

Um.. I mean, it works the same as a PC. It has a much cleaner interface than Windows but I still struggle in finding certain things and that's only because I work mainly on PCs. I've kind of gotten to the point where it's useless to hate them. What if my workplace only has Macs? I can't afford to just sit there and whine.

I had an teacher say, "Don't blame the tool, blame yourself".

The only thing that gets me is that, I don't understand why they eliminated buttons for the mouse or mouse pad. Obviously I know how to right/left click but I always had to right click a couple times for it to "register". That's my only complaint.

Last edited:
Well.. Thing is, computergamers will always choose Windows over Mac. Why? Mac products are for business. They look good. They give a professional vibe etc but they are terrible in running most games (e.g. Sims will be fine but don't expect to be able to run whatever). I personally use an iMac but it's only one year old and already crashed 3 times without reason. I don't run any programs aside things such as Keynote for school, I mainly just browse. Play two games; Sims & Elder Scrolls but the crashes didn't happen during/near times I played those so I really have no clue.
Apple does its best at only giving a one-year-guarantee and the protection plan would cost even more so most people -including myself- don't buy that, so I hope for the best. * For those who don't know: here the main guarantee is 1 year, protection plan is 3 years *
iMacs are desktops ofcourse but concerning macbooks, I only hear positive things about the batterylife so it's definitely suited for students if you take your laptop at uni to type your notes in class.

As for Windows, I would recommended that indeed, but you must get one with a high cost (at least if you want to game / run heavy programs / have a good battery). I have a $450 Asus laptop and its 1.5y/o and worth nothing at all. Takes 10 minutes to start, then another 5 to open google chrome. Don't even get me started on opening programs because even Spotify would take about 5-10 minutes. No viruses. No idea what went wrong. No money to get it checked up and it wouldn't even be worth it anymore.

we had macbooks in school a few years ago. they were a lot better than the computers we had before them (but they sucked so lol idk) after those we had chromebooks and they were about the same, except that chromebooks are annoying in their own way because you cant download programs.
for personal use i really dislike laptops in general. they feel like computers to just go on the internet on :| i think macs (especially laptops) are way too expensive because theyre not That Good lmao and you cant do a bunch of things on them

Will always prefer Windows as it can do so much more.

Also ...
2expensive4me

They're basically like a windows laptop but can't run certain games or programs, are expensive as hell and usually have weaker specs. Not worth imo.

I dislike their inability to function like a regular laptop, but I wouldn't force anyone to give up on them.

personally i prefer windows, my old school (i say old since im going into a new one next year) used to use them and they were alright. i never really went on them tho, only for my media class. even then i preferred going on the chromebooks instead

I will always prefer windows.
Macbooks aren't that great, I feel like most people buy them just because it's Apple brand and for the aesthetic.
Also to low-key boast money.
Honestly I would love to have a macbook just to show I have one, lmao.

Last edited:
Every time I see a macbook, I always admire the screen resolution. Everything just looks so crisp on a macbook, I'm not sure what the technology behind that is.

But I've never owned one. I've used my friends macbook a few times and I always get annoyed because the buttons are all mixed up, and there's no delete key (I need the delete key, sometimes I want to delete things in the middle of a line!!). Also there's no right click??? Absurd. I know you can control+click or something, but that's just ridiculous. Also I don't like how the programs pile up on the right side of the taskbar instead of just opening up on the program like on Windows.

So yeah, the only thing I envy about a macbook is the display. Everything else is seems weirdly complex and not intuitive at all.

MacBook all the way.

My MacBook Pro is my third (fourth if you include secondhand) laptop and it's done me over four years so far. Still loads up in a heartbeat, runs incredibly fast, and battery life still lasts me hours. By the 2 year mark my previous laptops (all Windows) were slow as hell to run and the batteries no longer held a charge. I also have a Retina display and the screen is just so gorgeous in comparison.

ive been thinking about switching to a macbook as a studio art major. windows 10 is driving me nuts and ive just about nearly am ready to give up on windows. because its ridiculously full of bugs. i dont want to buy a 800 laptop just for its charger port to break down in less than a year, then in two years have the battery stop charging altogether. ive heard that macbook hardware is more higher quality than dell, asus, other window users laptop. i just want to find a brand thats good with gaming and good with digital art with an amazing battery life.

so far in all of my research while trying to avoid biased windows/apple fanboy articles, and asking my friends around. i may move to a macbook.

I can't stand apple as a whole honestly.

- - - Post Merge - - -

like apple is so behind on recent technology but they're the most popular phones in the US.

in 2014 they were just finally getting features android had in 2012...........

I hate them. Probably because I've only owned PCs my entire life. I don't like Apple products in general because the way they do certain things is just absolutely ridiculous, but the fact that the Mac OS is like Windows but more confusing and crappy really turns me off of macbooks.

I like Macbooks, but I do agree that they're ridiculously expensive. I feel very lucky to have one considering how much they are. In retrospect, though, Macbooks have a very clean interface, their Retina display is beautiful, and they last me a long time (~5 years). On the downside, they aren't really compatible with as many programs/applications as the PC is.

Last edited:
I had one in college, it took the best photos of me I've ever taken. I could see how it would be more intuitive for someone starting completely fresh, having no prior exposure to any other OS. However, I'm too used to the Windows operating system to ever want one ever again. I think most people are in the same boat. You're too used to one OS to switch over. Max users complain about using Windows a lot.

Back