• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Town tips?

Start by thinking about the theme of your town. You can have one for the whole town or multiple themes for each area or none at all. Do you want certain colors or a certain look? Then think about where you want your 3 bridges, or whether you want 3 at all. Once that's set up, start putting down paths, even temporary paths, and place them up to the spots where you want your bridges. Remove any trees or flowers that are in the way, if needed. Then start thinking how you want to arrange your trees and flowers. Do you like your trees wherever or would you rather have them more uniform like along the paths or as an orchard? Think about where you would like your PWPs. Look up all the PWPs available and then plan accordingly. Place patterns down marking where you want your trees/flowers/PWPS. Then get to work planting and placing them.

Grass qr codes around your paths make your town look way more put together than it actually is. Trust me I had flowers lining my paths and that's it but grass qr codes on every tile made it look super professional. Eventually I bred more flowers and don't need them as much. It takes a while to cover every bare space with grass patterns but it gives the allusion that you worked hard on making your town super pretty.

Yeah definitely start with getting an idea for what your town's theme or "look" will be like. Once you have a basic idea, just expand it. You'll usually end up leading yourself in the right direction.

Work on hybrids asap once you know your color scheme because they take so long to acrew. Set paths or designated areas for grass paths right away so you can start building

I basically start to breed my flowers and go for specific colors you want. Then I put down benchmarks or save spots using some small PWP like a bench to guard certain areas so no dingus villager plops their house down.

Decide if you where you may want homes if you have the welcome amiibo update. If you put tiles down every 6x6 area you can have homes not move there. For example all my homes are in a big row by the beach. Just leave 6x6 spots open for homes. Or if you want random move ins wherever that's good too.

Look up pwps there's a lot of them.

Remember there's cedar trees, normal oak trees (these turn pink in cherry blossoms season and change color in fall), fruit trees (change color in fall) and bamboo you can later on or from a friend.

You can't get bushes yet but there are a thing to keep in mind if you want them.

I think it's a matter of opinion. People have different things that they like about other towns but I guess the most general one is to put down some paths. Not all people like having paths down, but they're a big help to avoid grass wear and make it easier to get around town if you know where you're going. They can be extremely time consuming though. Dirt paths can also look really nice if you dress them up with bushes and flowers. That's another thing, border your paths. If you want to avoid grass wear you should border your paths with bushes. Since the grass wear can spread without it. Hybrids is also another way to make your town look nice. But not always. I've seen some really impressive towns without hybrids.

Probably the least intuitive thing that you should do to make your town look nice is buy everything from the Nooklings everyday. This will help you upgrade both their store, but more importantly the garden store. Bushes can look really nice placed around town and can be grown in rows (up to 12 bushes and trees can be grown touching) and you'll be able to buy cedar and normal saplings which make designing where trees go much easier. I recommend buying the saplings everyday, and buying the fertilizer everyday once it's available to try to get the golden axe and shovel. They let you cut down as many trees as you want or grow regular saplings using bags of money.
I actually hate the look of grass patterns, so I can't recommend using them - take the time to actually develop your town and put flowers. As everyone else though, I recommend placing paths. If you're going hardcore into designing this town, mapping it out on the computer to plan where you want everything helps (I attached a picture of what this looked like for my second town) Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 9.03.12 PM.jpg . This is really most/only important if you're planning areas that are going to be packed with buildings or public work projects (pwp). If you want the villager houses to all be in a line I recommend looking up plot reseting and the path method for plot reseting (essentially plot reseting + putting down paths so they are only able to move into specific spots). If you want to place specific pwps in your town, I recommend looking up the diving trick to get pwp pings. In both of these cases, it helps to have amiibo cards (either to be able to force move in and out villagers to get them into the right spot or to get villagers of the right personality into your town - though if you're attached to your current villagers that might not be the best idea).

If you want lots of flowers fast, Try going to the island and going on tours that don't involve pocket space, pick up all the flowers that you see while running around there and then bring them back to town! It's a very easy way to get more flowers (though you can't get violets of lilies this way I believe). Look up guides on flower breeding (and get ready for them all to say something different). Wealthy ordinance is best at first since it helps you upgrade your stores fast but beautiful town ordinance is a life saver once you have enough flowers - actually watering them everyday is a nightmare.

One last tip: if it's not too late, do NOT place down the campsite, reset centre, police station, or Roost until you are 100% sure you want them there. They're wonderful additions to a town, but they can ruin all your planning if you place them down and later change your mind for how you want your town to look since you'll never be able to pick them back up

Good luck! Your town is what you make of it and everyone will have different ideas for how they want their town to look. I hope you find a way to make yours nice that you like!

I'm going to go against the grain and give my advice:

Don't spend time putting down paths unless you really want them and only after you've played for a while and have more of a feel for your town. I don't think it's something a new player should spend time on. There's a lot more to do first!

Do plant lots of flowers and fruit trees. Flowers and exotic fruit can be collected from the island tours. That will help you reach perfect town with the villagers and unlock more PWPs.

Don't spend time plot-resetting. That will only lead you into a spiral of perfectionism which may ultimately frustrate you. The randomness of Animal Crossing is part of its beauty. Don't try to control every single thing and make it "perfect".

Allow yourself to be surprised by the game and enjoy playing it. ;)

Back