Opinion on New Health Care?

If that is the case then I'm sorry to see that the US is still no closer to a workable, civilised healthcare system. I've been keeping up with the recent US political machinations more than I usually would, as I'm someone who would suffer greatly within the current system. My partner is a perfect candidate to be "headhunted" to work in the US (he's in IT) and we've had to seriously look into our options to relocate from Australia. He works at a level that would, on the surface, insulate me from much of the common problems that plague people in need of complicated and coordinated healthcare in America. The insurance coverage granted to him would be generous compared to what most employees could hope to receive, and we could cover any deductibles readily enough. But. The way healthcare works is functionally *nothing* like what we have at home. The amount of administrative hurdles I would have to clear at every turn, and the shear price gouging I would face for my necessary medications, is a nightmare to contemplate.

I do not see how adding *different* tax credits (aka more administrative hurdles, particularly in a system so unintegrated as in the US) whilst removing the tax credits aimed at helping the most vulnerable, in addition to all the other changes (which haven't been costed and have already been roundly condemned by the medical profession) will address any of the real issues from an objective standpoint.

From the perspective of someone born into a country that
- has a population which expects our federal and state governments to secure and maintain appropriate standards of healthcare access to everyone as a basic right
- has Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) prescriptions capped at the current rate of : $38.80 generally and $6.30 for concession card holders (meaning I pay $6.30 for a month's supply medicine that would otherwise cost $360)
- provides an additional "safety net" for the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) whereby spending $1,494.90 generally and $378 for concession card holders on PBS prescriptions in a calendar year means the cost for each additional script until December 31st is $6.30 generally and $0 for concession card holders. https://www.humanservices.gov.au/cu...pharmaceutical-benefits-scheme-pbs-safety-net
- prohibits price fixing/gouging of pharmaceutical companies and medical service providers to consumers
- prohibits direct advertising of medications that require a prescription, and has enforced limits on what kinds of "compensation" pharmaceutical companies can offer medical services
- etc
I can only say that I am unbelievably grateful to have been born in Australia.

If that is the case then I'm sorry to see that the US is still no closer to a workable, civilised healthcare system. I've been keeping up with the recent US political machinations more than I usually would, as I'm someone who would suffer greatly within the current system. My partner is a perfect candidate to be "headhunted" to work in the US (he's in IT) and we've had to seriously look into our options to relocate from Australia. He works at a level that would, on the surface, insulate me from much of the common problems that plague people in need of complicated and coordinated healthcare in America. The insurance coverage granted to him would be generous compared to what most employees could hope to receive, and we could cover any deductibles readily enough. But. The way healthcare works is functionally *nothing* like what we have at home. The amount of administrative hurdles I would have to clear at every turn, and the shear price gouging I would face for my necessary medications, is a nightmare to contemplate.

I do not see how adding *different* tax credits (aka more administrative hurdles, particularly in a system so unintegrated as in the US) whilst removing the tax credits aimed at helping the most vulnerable, in addition to all the other changes (which haven't been costed and have already been roundly condemned by the medical profession) will address any of the real issues from an objective standpoint.

From the perspective of someone born into a country that
- has a population which expects our federal and state governments to secure and maintain appropriate standards of healthcare access to everyone as a basic right
- has Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) prescriptions capped at the current rate of : $38.80 generally and $6.30 for concession card holders (meaning I pay $6.30 for a month's supply medicine that would otherwise cost $360)
- provides an additional "safety net" for the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) whereby spending $1,494.90 generally and $378 for concession card holders on PBS prescriptions in a calendar year means the cost for each additional script until December 31st is $6.30 generally and $0 for concession card holders. https://www.humanservices.gov.au/cu...pharmaceutical-benefits-scheme-pbs-safety-net
- prohibits price fixing/gouging of pharmaceutical companies and medical service providers to consumers
- prohibits direct advertising of medications that require a prescription, and has enforced limits on what kinds of "compensation" pharmaceutical companies can offer medical services
- etc
I can only say that I am unbelievably grateful to have been born in Australia.

I hate prescription advertising so much. Cut that cost and save billions and let doctors do their jobs. Plus if people see ads they think "omg I have all those problems! I must see my doctor and demand that medicine". No people, just because you see it on TV doesn't mean you must have it.

Back