• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Pokémon Anyone else really unsatisfied with Sun & Moon?

vel

xoxo
Bells
Finished the game a week after it released, also all the side missions. Used the Looker money to buy all the clothes available, and finished battling all the trainers. I'm not super into competitive, battle tree, or shiny hunting, so I've been pretty much done with the game. I only play through the story mostly, or replay it, but for this game it just had low replay ability for me.

I don't want to pick it back up for some reason, and I don't want to play it again for a while. I started thinking maybe I tired myself out with it by playing it nonstop for a week, but that didn't happen the past few games. Is anyone else heavily unsatisfied with the game? I feel like they should have implemented a longer post-game, the "missions" they gave you were really quick and could be finished in less than 15 minutes. The Looker mission was overall pretty boring, I just threw beast balls, or paralyzed/slept them and they were caught.

The trainers/trial captains were okay, they weren't very hard, but they were monotonous and got on my nerves most of the time, not truly a challenge. And lastly, the beginning of the game felt way too long for me. Cutscene after cutscene, tutorial after tutorial, grinding up your Pokemon to a somewhat good level, everything tired me out, and it got boring way too quick.

How about you guys, anyone else feeling the same way?

I agree with all of your points, although I didn't feel strongly dissatisfied. I can understand how those reasons would make you feel that way though.

I can understand well how someone can feel this way after beating Sun & Moon, or really most Pokemon games in general which have limited or no postgame content. I don't personally feel this way because in every Pokemon game, after beating the main story and any available postgame, I tend to breed Pokemon to use in a new save file. I also occasionally use the Masuda Method to hunt for shinies. As much as I love the series, they really leave you with limited options to keep you engaged unless you breed, battle competitively, or use the facilities like the Battle Tree/Maison/etc.

It would be nice if they took a page out of Johto's book and let us visit another region or something in an upcoming game so that we have more to do. Alola would actually seem like a good choice for a region that could benefit from such, as it would potentially allow us to go through a traditional Pokemon experience with gyms and whatnot.

And lastly, the beginning of the game felt way too long for me. Cutscene after cutscene, tutorial after tutorial, grinding up your Pokemon to a somewhat good level, everything tired me out, and it got boring way too quick.

How about you guys, anyone else feeling the same way?

I agree. The first island wore me out so much that I didn't even finish the game. I'm still somewhere on the second island. It was so exhausting just getting there that I was burned out by the time I made it to a new location. I've tried picking it back up again but to no avail. I'd like to finish it since there was so much anticipation and hype leading up to it, but every time I try I can play for like, 30 minutes and then I'm burned out again...

ugh YESS others who thinks the tutorials were annoying! i felt like the whole game was just one big tutorial! the cutscenes are honestly so drawn out it was extremely annoying. it took me forever to get to the second island it felt like.

I agree. The first island wore me out so much that I didn't even finish the game. I'm still somewhere on the second island. It was so exhausting just getting there that I was burned out by the time I made it to a new location. I've tried picking it back up again but to no avail. I'd like to finish it since there was so much anticipation and hype leading up to it, but every time I try I can play for like, 30 minutes and then I'm burned out again...

I'd recommend dropping it entirely for a while, maybe a few months, and let it leave your mind. Then you can tackle the game again feeling less hampered by the early game slog. Otherwise you'll keep playing the game in short bursts, not really enjoying it very much and having an overall negative experience.

exactly, i felt very tired after playing through the first island. the only motivation that kept me going was finishing the game before my friend, and i feel like it shouldn't really be like that; it should be the interesting plot or the game in general motivating me.

- - - Post Merge - - -

It would be nice if they took a page out of Johto's book and let us visit another region or something in an upcoming game so that we have more to do. Alola would actually seem like a good choice for a region that could benefit from such, as it would potentially allow us to go through a traditional Pokemon experience with gyms and whatnot.

i loved soul silver just for that reason! i could replay the game right now, even. it's revitalizing knowing after you finish the region, you get a whole other region to go through. it would have been cool to visit kanto, no spoilers, but that would have been fun.

I hadn't played Pokemon main series in years. Platinum was the last time I played, though I did buy and play Black in November in preparation for Sun/Moon. To me, Sun/Moon is fantastic. They have made HUGE improvements since 2009. Maybe the fact that I hadn't played for about 7 years meant I didn't have any burnout like some of you may have. I don't know.

I didn't have a problem with the cutscenes, but I play a lot of JRPGs. None of the cutscenes in Sun/Moon are anywhere near as long as some of the cutscenes from the Xenosaga, Final Fantasy, etc franchises. And Pokemon games have never been hard.

Last edited:
Glad to hear others felt this way too. I've played every generation of pokemon games and this one really disappointed me and felt not so satisfying. I'm on the fourth island, and I got the game near release so I haven't been playing it very much at all lately. This is the first game I didn't play non-stop. My boyfriend who only played the first generation came back to this game and thought it was pretty lackluster too.

There were quite a few things that just didn't make the game that fun for me. The whole game felt like you could only catch 1 new pokemon in every zone, the rest were just repeated pokemon you've seen before. I didn't want to see gumshoos in every single patch of grass I went into. The islands, though neat, didn't really stick out to me the way other pokemon cities from past generations did. They all kind of blended into one for me. The hand-holding in this game was really strong, and I just wanted to explore on my own. The trials, though a cool idea, just seemed kinda boring to me, like picking out which marowak dance was different. I liked gyms because I loved seeing the cool gym designs and the puzzles they bring. I think it would've been neat to see trials fused together with gym leaders. The story was pretty much in one small chunk of the game too. I gotta finish the game but I'll probably still feel the same.

Overall I don't think its a bad game, just wasn't my cup of tea. A lot of people enjoyed the game and that's great, but it's nice to hear of others who thought the same :p

Last edited:
I like the game, but kind of stopped progressing in the story as soon as I found the Pok?mon breeder. I also spend most of my time in festival plaza. I like that you can buy outfits from other players there and some of the shops are really useful.

I don't like that you can't explore random parts of the islands until you beat the trials though. There are too many Tauros or kids looking for items blocking roads. I like to find out where you are supposed to go and go the other way. This game really forces you to take the right path.

I like it and all. But having to breed 6IV mons with the right nature can get tough at times. And having to go to the battle tree (Which I never done with 6IV mons) could be though too. And to only get the items there. Plus, the EXP farming is very tedious.

Like I said, I still like it. But I decided to take a break from it. I might come back maybe.

I don't like that you can't explore random parts of the islands until you beat the trials though. There are too many Tauros or kids looking for items blocking roads. I like to find out where you are supposed to go and go the other way. This game really forces you to take the right path.

I'm confused why this is different. They've always done this. Just instead of a kid or a Tauros, it was a tree or a rock that you needed an HM to get out of your way - an HM that was blocked behind a gym leader battle.

I'm confused why this is different. They've always done this. Just instead of a kid or a Tauros, it was a tree or a rock that you needed an HM to get out of your way - an HM that was blocked behind a gym leader battle.

It seems like there are way more road blocks in this game. Also the trees just sit there, but the kid will keep saying to keep away because he is item hunting if you get too close.

I also don't like that Rotom repeats the same thing until you do whatever the objective is. I'm like "Yes, I know there's a trial over there, but I want to hatch eggs now instead." Rotom blinking on the bottom screen is also distracting. Can't I just have a regular Pokedex?

When you get the game. Don't play it. Wait a day. Then play it. Then play it slowly. Play it with desire. Then when you finally beat it. Play it again. That is the way of lyfe <3

Wise words of StarUrchin 2017

Not really. Probably because I'm a huge noob who was lucky enough to catch a shiny cuteifly and trade it for a type: null..

Back