• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Misconceptions during Childhood

I thought that the house hippo was real. It was a sad day when I found out they weren't. I really wanted a house hippo.

Last edited:
Also, I remember sometimes when I was deep in thought during class in elementary school, I'd convince myself that somehow someone might be able to see my thoughts so I'd stop myself every now and then and look around the room just to make sure nobody was reading my mind lmao.

Me too! I wasn't the the only one ;_;

I was terrified of electric toilets for a while because I thought if I didn't get off the toilet fast enough when it decided to flush I'd go down the drain with it.

If I may be honest, they still do scare me a little.

After I first learned about the Earth's rotation, I thought that if I stood really still and concentrated really hard maybe I'd be able to feel it moving.

Also, I remember sometimes when I was deep in thought during class in elementary school, I'd convince myself that somehow someone might be able to see my thoughts so I'd stop myself every now and then and look around the room just to make sure nobody was reading my mind lmao.

Is it bad I kinda do this now....LMAO

I'll like think about something cringey, then say something in my head along the lines of "Hey, you. What are you doing in my head? I know you're reading my mind right now." then imagine the mind reader getting all creeped out and panicking.

Kms

If I concentrated hard enough I can do a kamehameha like Goku

That the traffic lights were controlled by control rooms filled with people pressing buttons and making the lights switch

I thought adults knew more than they actually did/do.

I always thought the moon or sun was chasing me.

When I was a small child, I remember driving along a country road on a night with a huge full moon, and freaking out because it seemed that the moon was following us!

I thought if I stayed in the shower too long I'd turn into a prune
I thought Russia was where canada is
hm
idk what else

- I though that when you put alphabet soup into a bowl, it would magically form some a sentence for me :c much disappointment
- That carpooling meant 2 or more people sharing a swimming pool

Last edited:
i used to think that on the internet you could change any and all text you saw as long as the mouse changed into that text selecting mouse.

also, around the same age i didn't think people were supposed to have nipples, so i scratched one of mine off and it got infected and weird. i still have a scar lmaoo.
the reasoning behind this is logical tho !!! in swedish nipples are called br?stv?rtor which literally translates to breast-warts. i knew warts were bad and that they should go away soon, but mine didn't so i scratched them to try to make them leave. idk if i didn't remwmber that i had always had nipples but..???? yeah. i remember asking my mom if they were going to go away soon and she said that everyone have them. i thought she meant like how everyone gets a cold, like it's rly common and nothing to worry about !!!
so i continued scratching. yyyyeee....... and it fell off... and i had to go to the doctor.. lmao

this post make me cringe hard...

I used to think that 20 years old is an old age. also I used to think my grandma was exactly 100 years old. does this make any sense?

I used to believe that I could control the wind (the funny thing is that my peers believed me, too, and they called me "Wind Girl"). XD

i used to think that on the internet you could change any and all text you saw as long as the mouse changed into that text selecting mouse.

this post make me cringe hard...

i waS LIKE 5 IM SOrry ..,,. it kinda hurt a lot tbh pro advice: don't scratch ur nipple until it falls off

Back