• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Narcissistic Abuse

Hulaette

The Magical Mermaid
Bells
Blue Candy
Jack
Orange (Fruit)
This is a touchy subject for me and I'm sure that this thread might get locked. But I just wanted to know if anyone on this forum is dealing with a narcissist in their life? Doesn't matter who it is, family member, a friend, or your ex girlfriend/boyfriend. My life used to be happy a few years ago. But during these last 6 years my life has been nothing but utter hell and misery. It has gotten to a point where I don't even feel comfortable in my own house anymore. I'm always getting picked on and thrown under the bus every week, I have talked and talked about it with other family members but nothing is being done about the narc's rotten attitude and petty drama. Has anyone dealt with a narcissistic person before? I'm not seeking help, I just want to be able to relate to a normal person for once.

Last edited:
I'm happy to have found you... if this thread gets deleted, feel free to PM me any time. My boyfriend's mother is a narcissist. She convinced us to rent off of her... she caused drama in our otherwise drama-free relationship and would not stay out of our stuff. We paid half the rent just to have her bardge into our area acting like she owned the place. Moving things and getting into our food and personal items. Coming in and s*** talking other people whenever she felt like. I'm autistic, so I'm like the complete opposite and I really, really need my space. I had a meltdown, finally, because I felt like I needed more space and made it known. You know what she did? Beat me up. Literally. In front of my child. I don't live there anymore. She acted like nothing happened just seconds after she was done and still acts as though she did nothing. And now she's asking me to hang out with her all the time because she's lonely... She creeps me the f*** out.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Touchy subject... yes... I din't know writing this would make me so emotional, but have no idea how to get rid of her... she still makes my boyfriend's brother's ex-girlfriend's life a living hell...

I'm happy to have found you... if this thread gets deleted, feel free to PM me any time. My boyfriend's mother is a narcissist. She convinced us to rent off of her... she caused drama in our otherwise drama-free relationship and would not stay out of our stuff. We paid half the rent just to have her bardge into our area acting like she owned the place. Moving things and getting into our food and personal items. Coming in and s*** talking other people whenever she felt like. I'm autistic, so I'm like the complete opposite and I really, really need my space. I had a meltdown, finally, because I felt like I needed more space and made it known. You know what she did? Beat me up. Literally. In front of my child. I don't live there anymore. She acted like nothing happened just seconds after she was done and still acts as though she did nothing. And now she's asking me to hang out with her all the time because she's lonely... She creeps me the f*** out.

Oh I'm glad I'm not the only one! I deal with similar situations like you described. Today the narc, lets just call her Melissa, she barged into the bathroom while I was brushing my teeth than yelled at me (I thought she was gonna hit me by the way she stood over me trying to scare me) for shutting the door in front of her. Which I did not at all and I was standing in front of the sink. I had a meltdown over that because I literally did not move an inch, said anything, or did anything to her at all.

Is this going to be like r/RaisedByNarcissists where it turns into a place for narcissists to vent?

I've dealt with a Narcissist years ago,unfortunately he has greatly impacted me in a negative level.Because of him,I find it hard to communicate with anyone.I have major trust issues,self esteem issues,and body image issues because of him.people have tried helping me and I've tried therapy but none of it has helped.Life would be better if I never met him.But ***** happens I guess...

I've never met a narcissist before until I married my husband. One of his sisters has a serious case of narcissism. Last weekend we went on a trip to my husband's university (which is in another state, 5 hour drive) for his convocation. The whole journey from the beginning to the end we had to cater to her ridiculously selfish whims and fancies and I only tolerated because I wanted to keep the peace and harmony among the rest of the family throughout the trip/stay. I had to constantly calm my husband down so that no fights would break out. I will keep my distance from now on.

My mother is a narcissist and emotionally abusive. She manipulates people, everything has to revolve around her and she uses people and treats everyone like ****. She doesn't get physical most of the time and only yells; she only beat me and my sister when we were really little.
I moved out when I was 15. I can handle her much better from a distance.

Last edited:
I've never met a narcissist before until I married my husband. One of his sisters has a serious case of narcissism. Last weekend we went on a trip to my husband's university (which is in another state, 5 hour drive) for his convocation. The whole journey from the beginning to the end we had to cater to her ridiculously selfish whims and fancies and I only tolerated because I wanted to keep the peace and harmony among the rest of the family throughout the trip/stay. I had to constantly calm my husband down so that no fights would break out. I will keep my distance from now on.
I'm scared to even get engaged to my boyfriend because he grew up raised by horrible people. Like I can see it in him sometimes. The selfishness and the craziness, but I highly doubt he's actually a narc too. I just really want to be sure. I think he's more along the lines of BPD. He's frightened of everything, but hides behind bitterness and is extremely impulsive, yet he's very, very kind. Improvement can be made and has already been made. I definitely won't abandon him because he needs something stable to grasp or else he'll never improve.

My mother is a narcissist woo. She's very self-centered, whiny but won't let anyone fix the situation, egoistic, a slut, likes using people for her own good and so on. Pretty much a textbook definition. It's a bit hard to say what things are part of her narcissism considering that it all blends with her immaturity and stupidity, but those are some of them. She does have manipulative traits, but she's way too dense to be able to put them to use.

She's affected me by being very shouty about everything and is atm trying to force everything she likes on me. It's as if she's disappointed that I didn't end up being her trophy girly daughter. She makes sure to brag about everything she can get out of me though. ''HAS GOOD GRADES'' and so on. She's also been putting down my own interests. She laughed at me when I told her I want a n3ds for my bday instead of getting my beauty stuff done at a salon like she suggested.
She's also been putting me down overall lately. Been telling me to get on a diet (despite me being healthy bmi and just a bit chub due to no exercise and whatnot), dissed my capabilities a few times "you didnt get a summer job cuz nobody would hire a person w no skill anyway" (she never asked me to get a summer job and i would get one if i wasnt forced to live at my cottage during summer also summer jobs dont require skill) and also she's been obsessing over grooming me up despite my lack of interest. My eyebrows are messy but theyre fiine.

Meanwhile.. she's overweight and is supposedly ''working out'' regularly to get rid of it but mysteriously with no results, has a **** job with **** income and is supposedly ''pretty'' despite her being in her fifties and looking like a disgusting milf at best.

She just never grew up past being a materialistic teen having to live off of sexual entertainment while shoving a toothbrush in her throat to ''stay fit''.

Last edited:
My uncle is one. Our family hails from South Africa, though most of them have moved to other countries like England, New Zealand, Switzerland, and (like us) the Netherlands. He wanted to come to the Netherlands and showed really narcissistic behavior which was abusive towards my grandmother.

He barely spoke to us for 15-20 years. No birthday messages, no how do you dos, just short answers to messages we would send his way. In 2007 my mom and I went to South Africa because my grandfather (who still lives there to this day) was supposedly dying of prostate cancer. My mom, even though she didn't have a good relationship with either her father or her brother, wanted to go there and say goodbye to her father, and I went along. That's the most I'd ever talked to my uncle, and even then he'd sometimes just drop me and my mom off in strange places to go and do something else. This was also in Pretoria, which even back then was super dangerous.

Anyway, from 2007 until 2014, we hear basically nothing from the guy. Then in the middle of 2014, he suddenly contacts my grandmother, starts talking up a storm. My grandmother, my mother, my sister, and whole bunch of the family were happy that he was suddenly so talkative, that they could have contact with this person who had been so silent for years. Then the bomb drops - he wants help to come to the Netherlands. There's a thing where South Africans with Dutch relatives can come over, as long as they provide the necessary papers, and he wanted to take advantage of this.

Christmas 2014 I see this guy for the first time in 7 years. He never asks anything about me, or my mom, or my sister, or anyone else for that matter. He's just talking about his life in South Africa, how he's not had a job for 2 years but still managed to build his own house and sell it, how he goes out with his buddies to golf or whatever. My stepdad and I see what's happening, but we only meet resistance. Uncle also says that he doesn't talk my stepdad and me because we both "don't articulate" (we do).
After Christmas he leaves and contact with him is still strong. My mom is hopeful that there's a change in this guy.

Mid-2015 he has the papers and he comes over without his son and his wife, and he starts looking for work so his wife can come over (son came over 2 months later, since his dad was Dutch now). The problem is that he is only looking for high-ranking positions. He had held high-ranking positions back in SA, and believed he shouldn't be allowed to do anything less.
Also, during this time he lives at my grandmother's place. Contact with him stagnates, as my mom and sister barely hear from him anymore even though he's a short walk away from us. He gets angry at us for the stupidest things, but if we confront him about his bull**** he starts defending himself like with that "they don't articulate" example - it's never his fault.
During the months, life is hard on my grandmother. She feels like he's taken control over her household, because he decides when they eat, when they sleep, when they go out to do stuff. And the only thing he cares about is himself and his son. At one point my grandmother is ill, terribly so, to the point that she's unconscious most of the time and when she is conscious all she does is drink and go pee. She has to ask my mom for help after 3 days, because my uncle didn't even check on her in that period. Once my grandmother was feeling better and was actually moving about the house again, he started a fight with her about how she stayed in her room "so that she could leave all the housework to him".
And sadly that's not the only thing that happened, but it's the most egregious one.

During these months he also got increasingly angry about things and took it out on my grandmother. He was unhappy with how slow things moved in trying to find a job. Whenever she told him to aim lower to increase his chances, he got aggressive and would yell about how that work is below him or some ****. He blamed everything on the system. In his mind, he wasn't doing anything wrong, it was Dutch systems keeping him from succeeding in this country. I understand his frustration, but we'd told him often enough that the job market here isn't fantastic, so he should've aimed for anything and build it up from there. But because of his frustration, he often threatened with going back to South Africa. The first few times my grandmother took it seriously and started telling him about how his chances there were even ****tier, how dangerous and unfair it is for white people, etc. The last time he threatened with going back, she told him that he should. He didn't speak with her again for over a month after she'd said that, and completely ignored her whenever she tried talking to him.

A few months ago he finally got a job he wanted. Once he got it though, he found enough to whine about. He didn't feel "important enough" (he's a project leader at a large mechanics company, so I don't know how important he wants to feel), he wasn't allowed to do certain things, he barely spoke to the people under him (go into their office and talk), and so on. He was unhappy with the job from day 1.
With him being able to get a job though, he was also able to get a house. He got one within a few weeks of the job. He packed up his family's stuff, moved them into his car, and drove off. That's all he did. No thank you to my grandmother, no goodbye, he said literally nothing.
And ever since then, as both my stepdad and I had expected since Christmas 2014, all contact dropped. The only person that still hears from him is my sister, and only about once a week. And he only wants to talk about himself.

My mom has gotten to the point that she doesn't care about it anymore. But I can see how much my grandmother is still hurting. She'd hoped so much that he'd turned around and started caring about his family over here, but she was let down in a big way. Constant arguments, him not caring about anyone but himself, and eventually just leaving her without even saying bye.
Ever since he left I've been making sure to visit her more often, because in the past year I'd been avoiding my uncle who was staying at her place, and I feel like I took some support away from her by doing that.

But yeah, the guy is awful. And I feel bad for his son, because all of his achievements in school and sports are used to big up his father's ego. His wife also doesn't do anything against this behavior, instead just trying to tell us to "calm down and leave it".
I'm glad he decided to break contact though. It lets everyone focus on important things, and the family that does care about them.

The man I was with before I met my husband was an awful, narcissistic man skilled in all forms of abuse. He is out of my life, and while I still spend some time mending scars, I am much happier having been able to cut ties with him. He is by far the most painful to discuss.
My sister is also of the same style. Ever since she was little, it has never been her fault or her problem. (She climbed over her crib and blamed the crib for the injury, etc. She's 25 and still doing the same thing.) I find it hard to cut ties with her, as her daughter is one of the best things in my life, and I feel on some level I need to be prepared to step in as primary caretaker if something should happen. She has no education, no income, no home... She lives off my parents, her and her crappy pathological liar boyfriend. And none of this is her fault. She also edits history to her own devices.
And then I have my mother-in-law. As soon as my husband turned 15, it was his job to support her, have the job in the family, be the sole breadwinner. Before that, she pawned him off onto relatives to be raised, instead of doing the work. She calls him every week, as if he owes her something simply for being her biological offspring. She lived with us for a very trying few months, and I would rather dissolve my very happy marriage than have that happen again. She smokes 2 packs a day, and refused to do anything I asked her to do to protect my child (Changing clothes when she smoked was too hard, showering daily was too much energy, not microwaving his baby food/formula was a waste of time and stupid, WIPING HIM when he was just wet was pointless and a waste of wipes.... Worst diaper rash ever... And then I get blamed for my son's health.) Anyways, she's an 8 hour drive away now, and my husband doesn't make me talk to her. She'd probably cuss me out anyways, and then turn to him and ask him why I can't just love her because she loves me so very much.

If any of you need to talk, my inbox is open. I'm no therapist, but I've been through therapy, and that makes me an expert, right? (Kidding, so kidding) But I can at least offer some peer support.

My heart goes out to all of you who have to experience this behavior, and even worse cannot distance yourself or cut ties. Stay strong... Their abuse does not affect who you are as a person. Their words are not truth. You are strong, beautiful people with far more worth and purpose than they will ever know.

I'm scared to even get engaged to my boyfriend because he grew up raised by horrible people. Like I can see it in him sometimes. The selfishness and the craziness, but I highly doubt he's actually a narc too. I just really want to be sure. I think he's more along the lines of BPD. He's frightened of everything, but hides behind bitterness and is extremely impulsive, yet he's very, very kind. Improvement can be made and has already been made. I definitely won't abandon him because he needs something stable to grasp or else he'll never improve.
Narcissistic personality disorder is highly genetic. On the flip side, it's also really rare. More than likely they're just annoying people.

I used to deal with a narcissist grand aunt. Everything revolved around her, she was the hero of every story she repeated over and over again. The others were trash and needed medical help. For her she was not sick the others were. We believe she had more problems going on than narcissist but boy was she annoying and scary. I am a very insecure person and having an aunt that constantly says you suck affects you. I literally ran from her and I am afraid of my phone ringtone because of her. She didn't let me go! She lied to herself telling she was the one who raised me when she wasn't. She had that idea on her head and so didn't leave me alone almost like a stalker. Phone calls everyday and she did come to our house uninvited everyday. When she was dead I'm sorry to say this but I was so glad. I felt free! I didn't even cry for her. She was a real nightmare.

My dad's wife is a narcissist. The saddest part is that her behaviour drove my very mentally ill sister out of the house while she was still a teenager which had disastrous results. She told me that she used to see my mom and dad walking together in the mall and get really jealous of them. Then shortly after my mom died she was living with us. More than anything I just wish I could protect my dad from her. I know how much it sucks living with someone who seems to think that they're the only person with any feelings. I found the best way to deal with her was the old "killing with kindness" method. If a person has even an ounce of humanity in them it can be really effective to make them suffer alone with guilt.

I dealt with it for many years. For the last year or so I've suspected that my step-mother has narcissistic personality disorder and borderline personality disorder.. and it just so happens that my dad's psychotherapist recently told him that it's most likely those things.

I was about 7 years old when she came into my life, and it had been about 3 years since my parents' divorce. She seemed ok at first and most of the time I was made to believe she was ok and I was the one that was a horrible person, but as more and more things happened that were abusive, I was always scared to go over to my dad's house. Yet I had to because I was scared of confrontation and she said I wasn't old enough to make that choice yet! She held things over my head like legal consequences and that if I don't go over there, everyone will be sad and miss me.

Basically lots of crappy things happened between age 7 and age 19ish. I was not ready to confront her until I was away at my mom's one summer after she (my biological mom) moved to another state. I was finally ready to tell her how I feel, and so one day I called her and told her how I can't be at her house due to the hostility, and she kind of went insane. So I hung up and I haven't said a word to her since (this was last year) even though she sent me a harassing email and a text before I just blocked her completely. Now my dad finally is out of her mental grip and we can finally talk about it. He's quietly moving all of his things out of the house and she doesn't even notice because she's so wrapped up in her own affairs. Literally. She's having an affair. And she thinks everything is ok, but my dad has a lawyer close by and when he gets the ok from the court and everything, he's going to live his own life.

Things WILL get better. It takes a lot of strength and understanding of who you are as a person to know that you're not the one who is harmful here, because narcissists are manipulative and it's easy to get wrapped up in their words. I'm sorry you're going through this. It's not fair to anyone. I'm really glad you've recognized what's going on. It took me many years to put a name to it and to understand that it IS abuse, even though she never physically hurt me.

p.s. the method that has helped me cope the most is called "grey rock", which means I don't react to anything she says, ever. I used to cry as soon as she started yelling at me, but it got a lot easier after talking to people online and stuff.

p.p.s. AND there is absolutely nothing wrong with, when you are able, cutting ties with whoever is toxic in your life

Last edited:
p.s. the method that has helped me cope the most is called "grey rock", which means I don't react to anything she says, ever. I used to cry as soon as she started yelling at me, but it got a lot easier after talking to people online and stuff.
Oh yeah this method is good, I've been starting to do it myself whenever my mother shouts or overreacts. As a kid I'd start crying the moment she shouted at me.

Also my mothers been sluttng around with affairs as well, I wonder if narcissists think it's more ok to have an affair and whatnot.

Last edited:
Also my mothers been sluttng around with affairs as well, I wonder if narcissists think it's more ok to have an affair and whatnot.

Perhaps. Something my dad pointed out to me that I never realized was that my step-mother has never tried to cultivate a relationship with anyone, aside from a romantic interest. She's never tried to make amends with me or anyone else, even if it's a family member. Maybe that's part of it.

Back