• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Trees.

windloft

♟✨
Bells
Switch
8472-5101-8145
う
New Horizons Token
so i've recently gotten rid of my pear orchard and i need to replant trees so i can still retain my perfect town status.

thing IS, i'm not sure how trees work in this game. i have somewhat of an idea how they work, like they can't work in a perfect 3x3 layout or else the center tree will always die, but i want my tree formation to look nice.

will the following formations work? Xs are the trees, Os are the empty spots.

OXO
XOX

OXO
XOO

XXX
OOO
XXX

Trees can't be next to eachother in any way, not even diagonally. For XXX formation you could make the middle X a bush but idk what you could do with the diagonal ones.

a trick to try, so you can experiment without spending too many bells, is to plant your native fruit.

If the tree grows in the spot, then you can cut it down and replace with tree you want. If it does not grow, then you really did not lose anything.

It is a good way to try out a pattern. Just remember that some patterns you need to plant slowly (maybe one at a time) or it will die....for example your middle tree scenario. Once a tree has grown, it will not die, so you just have to plant one at a time, wait for it to grow, then enclose it in.

Trees can't be next to eachother in any way, not even diagonally. For XXX formation you could make the middle X a bush but idk what you could do with the diagonal ones.

AHHHH, okay okay that makes total sense. i forgot that there has to be a space in-between the trees.

so basically, it has to work in this formation

XOX
OOO
XOX

- - - Post Merge - - -

a trick to try, so you can experiment without spending too many bells, is to plant your native fruit.

If the tree grows in the spot, then you can cut it down and replace with tree you want. If it does not grow, then you really did not lose anything.

It is a good way to try out a pattern. Just remember that some patterns you need to plant slowly (maybe one at a time) or it will die....for example your middle tree scenario. Once a tree has grown, it will not die, so you just have to plant one at a time, wait for it to grow, then enclose it in.

oh yeah, i have a lot of perfect fruits and i only need to plant one. i'll keep that in mind in case i'm unsure.

Last edited:

Or if you have the golden spade, plant 100 Bells. :p

Trees dying shouldn't really be a problem in such a small pattern, unless the surrounding area is full of other growing stuff. Also using a golden shovel and planting 1k bell bags to grow trees is a bit easier imo.

Anyway a tip for when you get spot that stuff won't grow on, even though you're not over 12 connecting bushes/trees: Slowly destroy the surrounding bushes/trees while trying to replant in the no-grow spot. Destroying 1-2 b/t a day should be aight.

It seems that there's a specific b/t causing a correctly placed b/t to not grow. And the weird thing is that there's no reverse effect. Bush A might be not letting bush B grow, but bush B can be replanted just fine after bush A is planted. It's a lot of fiddling around if you want stuff lining your paths or smth.

Last edited:
If you are going to plant a lot of trees in a small area, plant the ones that are going to be surrounded first and then plant the trees on the outside the next day. They should all grow if you do it that way.

How to do three trees right next to each other is two plant two rows. Make sure there is the normal space between them, of course, and then wait for those to grow. Once those two have grown you can then plant the third without the center dying. Hope this helped!

You may be able to work:

O X O

X O X

O X O

X O O

X X X

O O O

X X X

- - - Post Merge - - -

It really isn't quite as hideous as it looks.

Back