• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

The Vegan and Vegetarian Thread

I went back to being vegetarian around March. I took a break for a year or so before that, forgot why. Guess I got tired of cravings or something but I decided to try it again for a few reasons. cooking can be fun sometimes. I started feeling bleh about eating animals again (mostly chicken and bacon, occasionally beef).

I started being vegetarian about 3 years ago? I chose myself and then my sister and mum became vegetarian not long after.
I've always loved any animals, any at all, and felt that it was not right to eat them when I could eat many other things without an animal suffering. :)

I also found out that being around meat makes me feel sick, especially when it's still raw.

Last edited:
I started being vegetarian about 3 years ago? I chose myself and then my sister and mum became vegetarian not long after.
I've always loved any animals, any at all, and felt that it was not right to eat them when I could eat many other things without an animal suffering. :)

I also found out that being around meat makes me feel sick, especially when it's still raw.

Aw that's so cool that your family did it too! My bf and I went vegan together, and it was definitely an advantage, since we could make meals together, instead of eating different things.

But now we've decided to separate (but we're still friends of course :p )...and I'm a little concerned about how it's going to be to date in the future. I'm not even ready to date, but I definitely have to figure out if I would be ok dating someone who wasn't a vegetarian/vegan. It's going to be interesting...

I'm sort of curious what made everyone else make the choice to become vegetarian. For me...

I was in high school and had to dissect a pig fetus for biology class. I think that made me look at animals really differently. I mean I actually held this baby pig's tiny little heart in my hand. How could I be ok with throwing away a life like that for a meal I could get elsewhere? It just made the source of my food so much more real for me.

Last edited:
I'm sort of curious what made everyone else make the choice to become vegetarian. For me...

I was in high school and had to dissect a pig fetus for biology class. I think that made me look at animals really differently. I mean I actually held this baby pig's tiny little heart in my hand. How could I be ok with throwing away a life like that for a meal I could get elsewhere? It just made the source of my food so much more real for me.

Well, I've been a vegan since I can remember. It's just that, now that I'm older, I understand why being vegan is so important and I definitely wouldn't change that or even try meat. The reason I keep away from it is simply because I don't think it's right. I don't think it's fair to use other living creatures for such purposes and I just couldn't bring myself to contribute to that industry. It goes against everything I believe in.

my dad is a vegetarian, hes anemic though so he has to eat fish, but im also anemic so sadly im not allowed to be a vegetarian. though one day i will be, im sure. i dont think i have the willpower to go full vegan though, but im quite passionate about animal rights, so who knows, it could be in the cards someday.

- - - Post Merge - - -

also another thing that makes me contemplate becoming vegan/vegetarian is that people say "humans were designed to eat meat, ect ect" but i think that weve evolved in so many other ways, meat was a means of survival back in the day, food was scarce, but these days its not at all. We have access to so many things, meat is mostly only eaten for the taste.

I tried being a peskiterian (probably didn't spell it right, it's a person who doesn't eat meat except fish) once. I failed.

Tbh now I don't eat really any meat besides occasional shrimp which is fish so I could probably try again if I wanted.

do you have to like vegetables a lot to be a vegetarian?? like what healthy food do you guys eat besides fruit & vegetables? does that mean you only get plant protein?

do you have to like vegetables a lot to be a vegetarian?? like what healthy food do you guys eat besides fruit & vegetables? does that mean you only get plant protein?

To an extent. Ovo-lacto veggies can get protein from eggs and dairy products. Vegans are more restricted but really not. Protein is in soy, beans, quinoa, oatmeal, peanuts, a bunch of vegetables like broccoli or leafy greens, etc.

You would be amazed at what you can make with just vegetables!

i hear vegans feel amazing, is that true? as in health-wise, my friend is vegan and always says she feels totally different

Being a vegan does not mean that you are more healthy than a non vegan person. As long as you get enough protein it can be just as or even more healthy.

There's a lot of vegetarian/vegan protein sources:
Chia
Quinoa
Soy
Quorn (meat... But without meat? It's delicious, but probably not for vegans as its mixed with egg whites)
Lentils
Cottage Cheese
Greek Yogurt
Peanut butter

As you can see they aren't all plant proteins

don't know if this was posted already
it's only indirectly about veganism, since it's for animal rights and against animal cruelty especially in food consumption. but it's message is rather universal and beautiful, so thought i'd post it here too.
they are vegans too.
it's a german song, but has subtitles so no worries :)

don't know if this was posted already
it's only indirectly about veganism, since it's for animal rights and against animal cruelty especially in food consumption. but it's message is rather universal and beautiful, so thought i'd post it here too.
they are vegans too.
it's a german song, but has subtitles so no worries :)

I really enjoyed that! It makes me happy to see there are still people out there who care.

I'm nowhere NEAR a vegetarian, (in fact, you can call me a carnivore huehuehue) but ive been thinking about it. The only thing is that i'm a very, VERY picky eater >u<

Does anyone have any good tofu/quorn/whatever recipes that are easy to cook?
I usually just fry up some up with mushrooms and then add some garlic, herbs and butter and maybe some onion and eat that, but I'm looking for something else for a change that's also tasty

Also pls rly easy to cook coz I'm rly bad at cooking :(((((((

Does anyone have any good tofu/quorn/whatever recipes that are easy to cook?
I usually just fry up some up with mushrooms and then add some garlic, herbs and butter and maybe some onion and eat that, but I'm looking for something else for a change that's also tasty

Also pls rly easy to cook coz I'm rly bad at cooking :(((((((

http://www.theppk.com/2013/10/rosemary-chocolate-chip-cookies-video/ :D they have other recipes too :p
http://www.theppk.com/recipes/
acozykitchen.com <-- lots of amazing ideas, not all vegan but you can easily adjust or just be inspired, anyway fave food blog

Last edited:
Back