• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Games You Regret Buying

I'm very careful with my purchases... The only game I regret buying is Tenchu Z for the Xbox 360. I had enjoyed the previous Tenchu games. Ninja, stealth, no stupid narrative like Metal Gear... But the game was just a lazy cash grab. Repetitive, no skill or thought required, not fun, and also ugly to look at. The other games that I regret playing are gifts.

Most recent game I regret playing is Pok?mon X. I've never been a fan of the games aside from the Mystery Dungeon series, but my GF was pretty excited about XY so she got herself Y and gave me X. I liked the Amie, character customisation, and training features, but the core mechanics bored me and the narrative was offensively bad, at times I wanted to throttle the writers. And the Mega Evolution mechanic put all the pok?mon who can't mega evolve at an unfair disadvantage. I get attached to my starter pok?mon and now they're a liability in battle? Lame! My GF didn't enjoy Y either. No interest in ORAS from either of us.

Lumiose has always been hard to get around, people said Castelia city was bad (which I didn't think so), but come on and look at Lumiose city.... That town was always hard to get around. That's why they put the cabs, but I never wanted to spend the money so I would sit there for 10 minutes looking for were I am going. They knew the city was hard to get around so they put the cabs there and didn't care.
It's ugly and difficult to navigate. What were the designers thinking? Was this something imposed on them?

I bought Fantasy Life because it said you could do anything and didn't have to take a combat based job and just kill monsters.

What it failed to mention was that whilst you could do anything...You weren't going to progress far into the game without taking one of those combat jobs and just killing monsters.
Welp, my GF wants to get the game specifically because of the "freedom" that's being hyped. Thanks for the info.

I regret buying Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D. Also, the digital version of Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. Now my bf expects me to beat Majora's Mask and now I can't sell Luigi's Mansion.

Welp, my GF wants to get the game specifically because of the "freedom" that's being hyped. Thanks for the info.
The freedom is the biggest downfall of the game since they try to make it so you don't have to fight, but fighting is kinda needed and probably one of the more fun things to do since the crafting gets dull really fast. If you don't wanna fight and only craft you're gonna have to rely alot on the shops and gathering will be nonexistent since to get to ore and such you gotta fight some enemies. Youll probably be able to team up with 2 others and make them kill **** for you but what's the fun in that?

But the worst thing the ''freedom'' does is ruins the story. It's literally you talking to a bunch of people and that's it. And it gets boring really fast. You don't gather, you don't craft and you can avoid all fights during it since maybe someone never picked up a gathering class, crafting class or a fighting class. They can't force you to do anything.
Also the writing is imo a bit worse than XY, it's immature, convenient and uninteresting.
There's no 'omigosh were ****ed' situations, there's always someone who can conveniently pop in and give you the thing you need. And during the story one of the chars *spoilers* tries to hide her identity and it gets really ****ing annoying since it's obvious who she is and they make it obvious but it's still a plot twist..?

I personally get easily used Lumiose every time I play the game, sure it's a bit tricky but I personally never minded it :b

Last edited:
The freedom is the biggest downfall of the game since they try to make it so you don't have to fight, but fighting is kinda needed and probably one of the more fun things to do since the crafting gets dull really fast. If you don't wanna fight and only craft you're gonna have to rely alot on the shops and gathering will be nonexistent since to get to ore and such you gotta fight some enemies. Youll probably be able to team up with 2 others and make them kill **** for you but what's the fun in that?

But the worst thing the ''freedom'' does is ruins the story. It's literally you talking to a bunch of people and that's it. And it gets boring really fast. You don't gather, you don't craft and you can avoid all fights during it since maybe someone never picked up a gathering class, crafting class or a fighting class. They can't force you to do anything.
Also the writing is imo a bit worse than XY, it's immature, convenient and uninteresting.
There's no 'omigosh were ****ed' situations, there's always someone who can conveniently pop in and give you the thing you need. And during the story one of the chars *spoilers* tries to hide her identity and it gets really ****ing annoying since it's obvious who she is and they make it obvious but it's still a plot twist..?

I personally get easily used Lumiose every time I play the game, sure it's a bit tricky but I personally never minded it :b

Amen to this. Fantasy Life has one of the most mundane stories I've ever seen. The game mechanics aren't bad and the combat can be fun and challenging sometimes. But yea, if all you plan to do is craft then this game is going to get boring in a hurry. It's still a fun game, but you really have to focus on the player progression to get a sense of enjoyment out of the game. Even that can be tedious after a while.

• Animal Crossing New Leaf: It's a game supposed to be relaxing, but has some really stressing mechanics and restrictions, Also I'm kinda OCD and everything needs to be perfect and symmetrical, it's something I'm trying to control
  • Pokemon Black 2: Really disappointing, didn't even finished
  • Pokemon Soul Silver: Never really liked gen 2 anyway
  • Azure striker Gunvolt: I knew it was similar to Megaman Zero (that is not my thing) but I still bought it for some reason.
  • Liberation Maiden: Got bored fast, didn't even finished.
  • Super Mario Galaxy: Too easy and not very polished, I wish it was more similar to sunshine.
  • Kirby's Epic Yarn: My first Kirby game, too childish and easy, you can't even die in that!
  • Sonic and the black knight: what the hell even is that thing... I thought everyone was overreacting, but it really is BAD!
  • Smash 4: My 3DS screen is too small for this, and there is no story/adventure mode
  • Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D: too boring and terrible graphics
  • Prince of persia collection on steam: Why the hell did I buy that

I basically regret buying everything about the Wii, worst console I ever had.

• Smash 4: My 3DS screen is too small for this, and there is no story/adventure mode

Smash 4 U wasn't much better with this either.

I regret buying the 3DS version entirely since I didn't play it very much and probably never will again. Smash U I would have bought regardless, but I wish I put it off for a while and waited for a price drop since I've really not gotten into it like I did with all the older ones. I just dislike how a lot of the single player content was presented compared to Brawl or Melee.

Recently, Assassin's Creed Unity. :(

But getting into Bloodborne is really making me regret it. Going from such a low-low, to such a high is really eye opening.

I'm sure this is a pretty common regret buy for people, but...

Super Smash Bros. 3DS. I don't play well with it on handheld, the screen makes things hard to see, and frankly, after I bought the Wii U version, I haven't even touched the poor thing since. I plan to return it to GameStop eventually.

I guess I did get the CD offer out of it, as well as the upcoming Mewtwo download, but otherwise, it was definitely a waste of forty bucks for me.

Definitely ORAS. Bought it to play with friends months ago and I haven't even gotten around to defeating the first gym yet lol

I guess I did get the CD offer out of it, as well as the upcoming Mewtwo download, but otherwise, it was definitely a waste of forty bucks for me.

I feel that the CD and early access to Mewtwo wasn't worth the ?40 I spent on the game. In hindsight, I would have rather waited a few months longer than everybody else and just bought Mewtwo separately for like ?1.

Tomodachi Life
everyone seems to have fun with it, so I bought it but it's just the same things happening again every day, so I got bored with it quickly
I rarely have enough money to buy video games so I missed the $40

Super Mario 3D Land went on sale on the eShop last time. I went for it at $20. I kinda regret it because though it was fun, I did not enjoy it as long as the games I bought at twice the price. I would rather spend twice as much for a game I'll enjoy for a long time(eg. Monster Hunter, Pokemon, ACNL).

I feel that the CD and early access to Mewtwo wasn't worth the ?40 I spent on the game. In hindsight, I would have rather waited a few months longer than everybody else and just bought Mewtwo separately for like ?1.

Yeah, fair enough point. I just like consoling myself for a bad decision. lol

Destiny. I wouldn't say I totally regret it, bc it was a lot of fun to play with friends and even solo for a while, but the grind on that game is unreal. The RNG is terrible. Everything is 100% by chance. I played strikes where one person would come in right at the end and they'd get an exotic reward or some bull****. I watched this guy on Twitch who played that game every day all day and it took him forever to get to level 30 bc he always got materials in the raid but no gear to use said materials on.

That game could be rly fun but the grind was not and was very infuriating.

Any of the Sims games on DS. This includes Sims 2, Apartment Life, Pets, etc. They're all so damn terrible, you have no true free will in those games and just EUGH 0/10

Any of the Sims games on DS. This includes Sims 2, Apartment Life, Pets, etc. They're all so damn terrible, you have no true free will in those games and just EUGH 0/10

i played the sims 2 pets for the ds. they had famous people bring their dogs like hillary duff or britney spears would bring their Chihuahua. terrible.

Back