• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Curly hair tips and tricks/ general curly hair thread

As my hair gets longer my curls get weighed down and more manageable. I know from experience that if I let it grow long enough it becomes wavy instead. I was born with very kinky curls, but that didn't stay with me for long.

My hair is naturally dry and curly so that makes it a nightmare of frizz. The frizz used to be so much worse until I took care to moisturize it. Currently a bit of argan oil after I wash and condition it helps. I also like too use sulfate free shampoos, I'm in the process of finding a good brand, and to wash it as little as possible.

I have super super super thick hair, with medium ish curls? It frizzes when I wash it, but calms down after about day 2. I've noticed it becoming a lot less frizzy when I cut out all shampoos and conditioners with sulphate!

Brush your hair. (duh, i know, but still.)
That's the biggest thing I can offer.
I have insanely thick, course, and naturally curly hair.
Before I cut my hair last week, I had hair long enough that I could sit on it. Hair that long and heavy led to some problems, especially after showers... Long story short, I got too lazy to comb it and kept it in a bun to sleep in for a couple days; I ended up with 3 softball size matts that resulted in a lot of crying, some blood, three broken brushes, and a horrible last resort hackjob that left me with little to no hair in the back of my head.

Any recommendations on frizz-combating agents?
Moisturize like crazy. It sounds gross, but the placenta conditioning packs are amazingly helpful. A bit of oil after regular washing works wonder, too. Having a spray bottle of water for your hair helps. Also, a neat trick is to carry around a dryer sheet. They're wonderful at reducing frizz. It's never going to completely go away, but you can help smooth it down.

For brushing hair, get a shower comb and do it while there's conditioner in your hair. It makes it so much easier.

As my hair gets longer my curls get weighed down and more manageable. I know from experience that if I let it grow long enough it becomes wavy instead. I was born with very kinky curls, but that didn't stay with me for long.

My hair is naturally dry and curly so that makes it a nightmare of frizz. The frizz used to be so much worse until I took care to moisturize it. Currently a bit of argan oil after I wash and condition it helps. I also like too use sulfate free shampoos, I'm in the process of finding a good brand, and to wash it as little as possible.
Basically the same, I only wash once a week.

I use Marc Anthony's oil of Morocco shampoo and conditioner, and it's pretty good.
I left my prized shampoo and conditioner back home though so I'll message you their name when I visit, but I would swear by them. Literally leaves your hair so soft, and frizz less.

Oh, also, because my hair is so thick, I have to make sure it's really clean (which can take a toll on it in regards to dryness) so before I shampoo and conditioner I use this thing...again it's at home so no name :( But it has amla/gooseberry in it and it's amazing, it cleans really well and has a lovely smell :3

Basically the same, I only wash once a week.

I use Marc Anthony's oil of Morocco shampoo and conditioner, and it's pretty good.
I left my prized shampoo and conditioner back home though so I'll message you their name when I visit, but I would swear by them. Literally leaves your hair so soft, and frizz less.

Oh, also, because my hair is so thick, I have to make sure it's really clean (which can take a toll on it in regards to dryness) so before I shampoo and conditioner I use this thing...again it's at home so no name :( But it has amla/gooseberry in it and it's amazing, it cleans really well and has a lovely smell :3
I wash once a week, too. Even less before I go get it dyed. Dye sticks better to dirty hair, and it gives me an excuse to skip washing it.

I'm so bad at completely washing things out of my hair because I just get tired and my showers are so hot that I give up. Plus I probably use more than I need. But I'm curbing that.

And give me names as soon as you can. I want to buy some but I wasted enough money trying shampoos, hating them, and giving them over to my mom. Right now I have Loreal's Color Brilliance which is okay enough for a drug store brand. But I need some good stuff. Or I am going to end up asking my aunt to order me some Paul Mitchell.

Brush your hair. (duh, i know, but still.)
That's the biggest thing I can offer.
I have insanely thick, course, and naturally curly hair.
Before I cut my hair last week, I had hair long enough that I could sit on it. Hair that long and heavy led to some problems, especially after showers... Long story short, I got too lazy to comb it and kept it in a bun to sleep in for a couple days; I ended up with 3 softball size matts that resulted in a lot of crying, some blood, three broken brushes, and a horrible last resort hackjob that left me with little to no hair in the back of my head.

Any recommendations on frizz-combating agents?

Oh Marzia :( Thick hair can be a blessing and a curse.
A similar thing happened to me about a year ago. I got really busy with school that I neglected brushing my hair properly (which takes a solid good five minutes) and just always throw my hair into a bun. Eventually I had matts in the back of my hair and it was absolutely horrible :(
Like Jess said, I would wet my hair and put conditioner in and brush it in the shower, it took such a long time and I broke a few brushes, by the time I was done I was so fed up with my hair I ended up chopping it up to my chin (it was previously below my waist) so I would never have to deal with it again. It's getting long again, and I do intend on keeping it long this time, but I can't stress enough how important it is to throughly brush your hair regularly if it's thick. You have to literally get every angle, because those matts will get you man.
For anti-frizz I find anything WITHOUT sulphate works nicely. Coconut oil and argan oil are both good things to look out for when selecting your shampoo and conditioner!

- - - Post Merge - - -

I wash once a week, too. Even less before I go get it dyed. Dye sticks better to dirty hair, and it gives me an excuse to skip washing it.

I'm so bad at completely washing things out of my hair because I just get tired and my showers are so hot that I give up. Plus I probably use more than I need. But I'm curbing that.

And give me names as soon as you can. I want to buy some but I wasted enough money trying shampoos, hating them, and giving them over to my mom. Right now I have Loreal's Color Brilliance which is okay enough for a drug store brand. But I need some good stuff. Or I am going to end up asking my aunt to order me some Paul Mitchell.

Calling my mom now as I type this.

This is what my hair looks like: image.jpg

Dude, but have you ever had Paul Mitchell's Awapuhi? It's like heaven for your hair. And they have a new sulfate and paraban free version.

Nope, sounds interesting though!

It's funny my mom found the shampoo and conditioner literally randomly one day, and it was like a gift from god.

Nope, sounds interesting though!

It's funny my mom found the shampoo and conditioner literally randomly one day, and it was like a gift from god.
They made a new wild ginger line of it without sulfate. If it smells better than the regular I want it.

Tell your mom to shop for me thank you.

I have 3c hair which touches my breast when straight, but shrinks up to just above my shoulders when curly. I have tons of small, tight curls and ringlets. Ojon products are really good for me - they make my hair nice and soft and smell really nice.

I'd say that my hair is like this:

photo-2.jpg

Wow, I bet you're gorgeous!
*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・'(*゚▽゚*)'・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・*

A similar thing happened to me about a year ago. I got really busy with school that I neglected brushing my hair properly (which takes a solid good five minutes) and just always throw my hair into a bun. Eventually I had matts in the back of my hair and it was absolutely horrible :(
Like Jess said, I would wet my hair and put conditioner in and brush it in the shower, it took such a long time and I broke a few brushes, by the time I was done I was so fed up with my hair I ended up chopping it up to my chin (it was previously below my waist) so I would never have to deal with it again. It's getting long again, and I do intend on keeping it long this time, but I can't stress enough how important it is to throughly brush your hair regularly if it's thick. You have to literally get every angle, because those matts will get you man.
For anti-frizz I find anything WITHOUT sulphate works nicely. Coconut oil and argan oil are both good things to look out for when selecting your shampoo and conditioner!
So I'm like super late replying to this, but you don't need to get shampoo and conditioners with oil in it. You can actually purchase the oil separate and add it to the shampoo/conditioner yourself, or you can just apply it directly to your hair. I find it spreads better when hair is wet. Remember, a little oil goes a long way. So even a tiny bottle against thick, long hair can last for a long time. You can even dilute the oil if it's too much for your hair straight.

I recently cut my hair off least year, and I love it. I've been begging my mom for months (I hated perms so badly) I have 4c hair and love it.
For hair products, it's usually Sallys, it's a little shop, but there a argan oil is fanstastic. I also use twists, and have (usually my mom or a black hair stylist) my hair ends cut off, so that my new hair can grow. For everyday use, i use a mixture of coconut oil and water and spray it in my hair, then use a tight hair tie as a cute afro bun :). I rarely fo this, but blowdrying make my hair look fabulous. Needed to answer :)

I'd say I look like this, if a lot of effort goes in it
20130909-085609.jpg

My hair is tightly curled naturally and short >_<;; I just put it up most of the time, but this isn't healthy for my hair, due to my hair often curling around the hair tie and breaking off. I would just say wear it down and be proud. I normally just wear it down after I get done in the shower or washing my hair due to the curls looking better then.

- - - Post Merge - - -

- - - Post Merge - - -

Calling my mom now as I type this.

Omg, I know how you guys feel! I went months without brushing my hair, due to getting caught up with school and this MMO I was playing at the time. I had to cut my hair like 10 inches :/ . My hair is only like neck length now. It was down my back.

My hair is tightly curled naturally and short >_<;; I just put it up most of the time, but this isn't healthy for my hair, due to my hair often curling around the hair tie and breaking off. I would just say wear it down and be proud. I normally just wear it down after I get done in the shower or washing my hair due to the curls looking better then.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Omg, I know how you guys feel! I went months without brushing my hair, due to getting caught up with school and this MMO I was playing at the time. I had to cut my hair like 10 inches :/ . My hair is only like neck length now. It was down my back.

Awww :( I was lucky enough to get them all out, but I still cut it short just out of fear of it happening again

Thank god... I thought I was the only one that had that happen and I was so embarrassed when I had to explain to the hairdresser why I had little to no hair in some spots. As much as I love my hair, when my depression acts up or I get super busy, it's the first thing that I stop taking care of. Even with my hair as short as it is now, I still get little tangled spots that take a bit to sort out. I've just been flat-ironing my hair often to help sort out the problem, but I miss just having my hair natural.

Without sulphate, got it. I'll definitely keep an eye out the next time I buy my shampoos. I've been using the $1 or so Family Value shampoos from Walmart lately, lol. But I'm hoping to invest in some of that nice Organix stuff because it helped some.

Thank god... I thought I was the only one that had that happen and I was so embarrassed when I had to explain to the hairdresser why I had little to no hair in some spots. As much as I love my hair, when my depression acts up or I get super busy, it's the first thing that I stop taking care of. Even with my hair as short as it is now, I still get little tangled spots that take a bit to sort out. I've just been flat-ironing my hair often to help sort out the problem, but I miss just having my hair natural.

Without sulphate, got it. I'll definitely keep an eye out the next time I buy my shampoos. I've been using the $1 or so Family Value shampoos from Walmart lately, lol. But I'm hoping to invest in some of that nice Organix stuff because it helped some.

Aww, don't feel embarrassed! Jess and I were actually talking about it and it /is/ a really common thing! People just don't talk about it, it seems.
And I totally get what you mean by the lack of care thing.

Good luck <3

No more cheap shampoo. Curly and thick hair can't take it. It's sad, but true. And most of our shampoos don't smell as pretty. But our hair looks nicer so there's that.

And like Pally said, don't be embarrassed. It's actually really common. More so with girls with weaves and in the black hair community. But it's still common. People just like to try and hide it, but hairdressers have definitely dealt with the problem more than once. Hairdressers prefer to say to cut it because it's less work and less expensive, but you can find ones that are willing to waste bottles of conditioner detangling for you. They'll charge you a lot for it, though.

- - - Post Merge - - -

So I recently went blonde and I was in the process of going purple. So every few weeks I went to bleach my hair. And my aunt, who is my hairdresser, commented on how my hair must be really healthy to have survived all these bleachings and not fallen out. It pays to take good care of your hair. Also, remember your diet has a lot to do with your hair. A bad diet makes hair fall out.

Back