• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Is fish a meat?

Is fish a meat?

• Yes.

Votes: 98 86.0%
  • No.

Votes: 16 14.0%

• Total voters

nekosync

:-)
Bells
July Birthstone (Ruby)
I said this at a family reunion and everyone looked at me like I'm stupid, and I really don't understand why.

Fish is a type of animal. Meat is, according to Google:
"noun
the flesh of an animal, typically a mammal or bird, as food (the flesh of domestic fowls is sometimes distinguished as poultry)."

Fish is an animal. When you eat it, you eat the flesh. Therefore, fish can be considered meat, right? Maybe people are just saying it's not meat to feel better about eating it.

yes???? of course it's meat?? i don't see how anyone would think it's not meat.

Accoriding to that definition, they aren't a typical type of meat, though. I know people who give up eating meat still eat fish, though, so I guess it just depends on why you aren't eating meat.

During lent when Catholics do not eat meat on Fridays, yet they are still allowed to eat fish as it is not considered a meat. So I would say I really don't consider fish to be a meat. Depends on how you look at it I guess

Also, a lot of vegetarians don't eat meat, because most but not all vegetarians are vegetarians due to the fact they do not believe in killing animals for a source of food. Therefore it is up to vegetarians whether they want to eat fish or not, as technically it does not fall in the category of meat

Some people don't consider it a meat meat because fish are cold blooded. Catholics go through Lent and abstain from eating meat, but they'll eat fish because it's not a land animal / red meat. But yeah technically it is a meat so whatever.

Last edited:
Fish meets the dictionary definition of "meat", but it is not considered a meat in terms of butchery and the food industry. So, no, it's not a meat in that regard.

Last edited:
I think there are enough contributions here to make mine unnecessary.

Last edited:
I actually never even thought that this was such a debated topic until we all started talking about it, I guess it's just one of those things that people never really think about until it is brought up unlike other things such as politics XD

Heh? Fish is fish, not meat. Sorry. Every restaurant I have been to separates fishes from meats... It contains proteins and all but it's not meat. Really surprised to see so many people consider fish as meat... o_O

It's like people who think tomatoes are vegetables when they're fruits...

Last edited:
Heh? Fish is fish, not meat. Sorry. Every restaurant I have been to separates fishes from meats... It contains proteins and all but it's not meat. Really surprised to see so many people consider fish as meat... o_O

I totally agree, thank you! If it were considered a meat it would be with the steaks and hamburgers, but it is not, therefore I don't see why so many people have voted yes? xd

But meat is considered the flesh of an animal - fish are animals. What sets fish apart from other animals like cows or pigs? Are they somehow not an animal like they are?

I totally agree, thank you! If it were considered a meat it would be with the steaks and hamburgers, but it is not, therefore I don't see why so many people have voted yes? xd

Yeah me too :'D I mean I understand that you can be confused between the two... But I've always separated fishes from meats, and so has everyone I know...

I think fish is "technically" a meat because it is a dead animal, but it's kind of in its own category. Like there's dark meat, white meat and fish, or at least that's how I look at it.

Back