• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What's your preference for naming side characters?

I only have one side character, mostly cause I needed more pattern space, but I wouldn't consider him a pattern mule, cause I use him fairly regularly. Named him Sho after my TWEWY waifu. xD

I name my side characters with real names, my 2nd character is named Marcus and I like it, and he's all about nature too, he does lay paths down. I have another one named Maryann, its a little ok. Shes also the owner of the TickTock Hotel with a lot of attractions waiting for you to discover. I don't know all of what to put in for my Hotel, but I'll get to it. She also lays paths down too. I don't have a 4th because I don't have all of my dreamies yet, once I do i'll make another.

Lucille and Shay both have legitimate names I'd like to be called. Poor Shay is more a path/room mule for sets I like but that don't fit in 221B, though.

Jim is named such because of Jim Moriarty. Technically it's a legitimate name, but it also tells you what his house is. xP

I named my path-layer 'Dirk' since I had no idea what to do with the triangle shades. Made myself a Dirk Strider. I'm not the biggest fan of him, though. I just wanted to make an ACNL Dirk.

With plot-resetting I start off normal but then I start naming them 'df'.

Last edited:
I normally name them after OCs of mine if I'm having difficulty developing them. I find it's easier to associate yourself with them as you play as them. For instance, my alt, Maxwell, is named after a side character with little to no personality. Now, however, it's helped a lot.

I tend to base alt houses around the character of origin anyway, further simplifying things and giving me no incentive to name a character after a house.

I usually give my characters normal names, but I've decided that to name my side character Spelleo (Spell-Leo) this time around because my mayor is named Magica.

I named my side characters to suit them. I named my rocker guy Axel, and my weird guy who lives in a shack is Victor. Victor may not seem like a weird name, but I named him after the dummy my uncle made when he was a kid. Him and my other uncle would throw it off buildings and beat it up. I always refer to him as Victor, the uncle I never met, lol.

I only have one side character and I give a her a cute name, because I want to have a cute town :) I've never been in a town where the characters had names to specify the use of their house. I think it would mostly be weird if your villagers mention your side characters "Hey, I met Hotel the other day" or something like that.

an actual name. your dedicated house/building should be decorated enough to stand on its own sans a blatant labeling, imo.

I named my last one Fortune.

She was meant to carry my things and give me storage space.

Then I kinda got rid of her because I wasn't feeling it so much.

I'd say- a name can be suggestive, but you can't just name someone "Bakery" or some sht.

I google translate random words pertaining to the characters and make names out of them, i.e. Caedus → Dr. Caed. Not a very good example since I changed his story but eh.

Last edited:
I created a holiday themed house, and wanted to name it holiday house....but that was too long. So I named it HoliCasa. Casa a spanish word for home.

if i make a new house ill either name them Tearoom or Maid.

when i make a side chara to discard, i just name em "jj" tho

Other than paths and outfits I haven't really decided what I would do with my alts. They're names are floral based but I don't really like the idea of naming them after buildings. Maybe making them sound like a person working there instead ? Like Mrs./Mr. <insert name here> as a teacher in the school or something.

My side characters usually have names that I really like or just generally find cute. I don't like to name them after characters in anime, TV shows, etc. because I know eventually my obsession with something at the time will die down and I'll be interested in something else and if I've made progress with the side characters, I won't want to remake them to rename them.

Back