What's your preference for naming side characters?

I only have one side character, mostly cause I needed more pattern space, but I wouldn't consider him a pattern mule, cause I use him fairly regularly. Named him Sho after my TWEWY waifu. xD

I name my side characters with real names, my 2nd character is named Marcus and I like it, and he's all about nature too, he does lay paths down. I have another one named Maryann, its a little ok. Shes also the owner of the TickTock Hotel with a lot of attractions waiting for you to discover. I don't know all of what to put in for my Hotel, but I'll get to it. She also lays paths down too. I don't have a 4th because I don't have all of my dreamies yet, once I do i'll make another.

Lucille and Shay both have legitimate names I'd like to be called. Poor Shay is more a path/room mule for sets I like but that don't fit in 221B, though.

Jim is named such because of Jim Moriarty. Technically it's a legitimate name, but it also tells you what his house is. xP

I named my path-layer 'Dirk' since I had no idea what to do with the triangle shades. Made myself a Dirk Strider. I'm not the biggest fan of him, though. I just wanted to make an ACNL Dirk.

With plot-resetting I start off normal but then I start naming them 'df'.

Last edited:
I normally name them after OCs of mine if I'm having difficulty developing them. I find it's easier to associate yourself with them as you play as them. For instance, my alt, Maxwell, is named after a side character with little to no personality. Now, however, it's helped a lot.

I tend to base alt houses around the character of origin anyway, further simplifying things and giving me no incentive to name a character after a house.

I usually give my characters normal names, but I've decided that to name my side character Spelleo (Spell-Leo) this time around because my mayor is named Magica.

I named my side characters to suit them. I named my rocker guy Axel, and my weird guy who lives in a shack is Victor. Victor may not seem like a weird name, but I named him after the dummy my uncle made when he was a kid. Him and my other uncle would throw it off buildings and beat it up. I always refer to him as Victor, the uncle I never met, lol.

I only have one side character and I give a her a cute name, because I want to have a cute town :) I've never been in a town where the characters had names to specify the use of their house. I think it would mostly be weird if your villagers mention your side characters "Hey, I met Hotel the other day" or something like that.

an actual name. your dedicated house/building should be decorated enough to stand on its own sans a blatant labeling, imo.

I named my last one Fortune.

She was meant to carry my things and give me storage space.

Then I kinda got rid of her because I wasn't feeling it so much.

I'd say- a name can be suggestive, but you can't just name someone "Bakery" or some sht.

I google translate random words pertaining to the characters and make names out of them, i.e. Caedus → Dr. Caed. Not a very good example since I changed his story but eh.

Last edited:
I created a holiday themed house, and wanted to name it holiday house....but that was too long. So I named it HoliCasa. Casa a spanish word for home.

if i make a new house ill either name them Tearoom or Maid.

when i make a side chara to discard, i just name em "jj" tho

Other than paths and outfits I haven't really decided what I would do with my alts. They're names are floral based but I don't really like the idea of naming them after buildings. Maybe making them sound like a person working there instead ? Like Mrs./Mr. <insert name here> as a teacher in the school or something.

My side characters usually have names that I really like or just generally find cute. I don't like to name them after characters in anime, TV shows, etc. because I know eventually my obsession with something at the time will die down and I'll be interested in something else and if I've made progress with the side characters, I won't want to remake them to rename them.

Back