• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

WoW Players - How do you make gold?

NerdHouse

The Collector
Bells
Yellow Pansy
Red Pansy
White Pansy
Red Cosmos
White Cosmos
Yellow Cosmos
Winter Mittens
Tasty Cake
Pear (Fruit)
Orange (Fruit)
A good friend is offering to pay for a month of game time for me to play again, and she also told me you can buy game time with your gold now! I do not have enough gold to reactivate and have to rely on her to do that. Once she does, I am looking for a semi-reliable way to make gold so I can continue to pay for game time on my own!

So: how do you guys make gold?

A good friend is offering to pay for a month of game time for me to play again, and she also told me you can buy game time with your gold now! I do not have enough gold to reactivate and have to rely on her to do that. Once she does, I am looking for a semi-reliable way to make gold so I can continue to pay for game time on my own!

So: how do you guys make gold?

Well, like most MMOs, you can just auction rare items for high prices and hope someone will buy it.

Well, like most MMOs, you can just auction rare items for high prices and hope someone will buy it.

This thread is for....more advanced strategies. Like if any particular professions, items, or farming spots are more profitable than others. Trade secrets, etc.

I don't play anymore, but I used to make a lot of money in the auction house.

Part of it was via professions. Mostly I was selling base materials rather than stuff I crafted since base materials are easy to get and people always want them for leveling their own professions. The gathering professions also had the bonus of it just being an easy task you can stop doing right away if need be, making it something you can do whilst waiting for others. Things like Rods for alchemists also sold very well since alchemists NEED those for leveling and weren't that hard to make, so some crafted items are still noteworthy for profit.

I had a character of each class at level cap with all their professions maxed, so I made a lot through professions. The two I recommend for money making purposes though are mining and tailoring.
- Mining is great because you're always going to be coming across mining nodes anyway, so for one it's convenient for yourself as well as most ore just generally selling for good prices. Possibly the best ore to go for is the 'higher level ore' in Outworld and Northrend since nobody really bothers with the areas that they spawn in anymore thanks to the level process being so quick now, so there's a lack of it in the AH despite it not being hard to get.
- Tailoring I recommend because of the boost it gives to cloth drops and almost every crafting profession needs cloth at some point. Frostweave cloth was essentially my main income, especially with it being incredibly easy to farm.

Or you can make money by just knowing the auction house. I made a lot of money from buying stuff that was noticeably 'too cheap' and selling it at 'regular' market price instead.
There's always somebody putting something up for an incredibly stupid low price for some reason, so take advantage of that. You'll want to buy out those cheap items anyway if you're playing the auction house to avoid the average market price for an item dropping due to these noobs.

The prices for things are often massively different across servers though. On an empty server, you could be getting a few gold for 1 piece of Frostweave cloth whilst on another you'll only get a few silver. It mainly depends on how active your faction is on that server.

An idea could be to level cap a new character (since it doesn't take long) on a mid-low populated server just to use the auction house there since you'll likely get more profit for the same amount of work on that server, meaning you'll spend less time farming gold for your subscription fee. Just use that character to pay for your sub, then go back to your main server and play with your real characters.

now a days, wow has changed so much that usually people use their garrisons to make bank. now if you're not at end game level making gold for a while might be more difficult, especially because the spikes in the accessibility of gold probably rose the AH prices to high hell. i stopped playing towards the end of MoP and have thought about getting back into it because of WLoD and Legion and such but i'm uncertain that it would be as fun as it once was in previous xpacks.

This thread is for....more advanced strategies. Like if any particular professions, items, or farming spots are more profitable than others. Trade secrets, etc.

This made me laugh way too hard.

Do NOT underestimate garrisons if you have a lot of max level toons. It's crazy how easy you can make gold.

I don't play anymore but when I did I made bank off selling potions in the auction house. I haven't played since the start of cata though so I don't have any "trade secrets" other than alchemy :/ (it takes more time though since you kinda have to have to gather materials) best bet for making money off a profession in my opinion is mining though, since you can easily sell the mats if you don't need them.

Last edited:
Back