• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

Why Aren't We Allowed Cloud Saves for New Horizons?

Jessy_Azran

Small-Fry Lawn Clippings
Bells
Switch
2848-7128-6492
User Title Color Change
Silver Mailbox
I don't understand why we aren't allowed another backup save data for New Horizons. Due to game constantly changing, I bet by the time our first week we've hit at least 64 gigabytes.

Maybe not that much, but it would be a LOT. Switches aren't immortal.

Does the creators of Animal Crossing or some of the players actually know the definition of cheating? Probably not.

Cheating means someone who is taking an unfair advantage over a tactic that
cannot be accessible to anyone else in the game.

I time travel in one of my towns, and my bro time travels in one of his. Big whoop. Do we think it's cheating? NO. It is fair, because everyone else has that option to time travel, just not everyone makes the same decision.

As a matter of fact, sometimes I feel like it is unfair how I miss out some days because I have to do university stuff. In all technicality of things, the people who time travel are the ones who are having an unfair disadvantage.

We don't have time to focus on our childhood game, and when we time travel, our animals come and go, weeds shoot out, blah blah, but should we complain? No. So why would time travel be such a problem? If they thought it is a problem now, then why did we have the option to alter the time in the first place?

Does this mean we will get punished for the Daylight Savings Time if God doesn't forbid your rare state or country?

Thanks Nintendo, you just crushed my Switch, and my inner child. Let's hope God will pray you a miracle.

No idea.

I'm not happy about not being able to save the game on the game cart. :(

What if the switch breaks?
Town/island gone. o_O

No idea.

I'm not happy about not being able to save the game on the game cart. :(

What if the switch breaks?
Town/island gone. o_O

Yeah. The next problem I have which is very small, but necessary to bring up. I cannot find any name to call my Island! It is killing me a bit.

Yeah. The next problem I have which is very small, but necessary to bring up. I cannot find any name to call my Island! It is killing me a bit.

Until New Horizons comes out you mean?

Do you have New Leaf to play?

Last edited:
Until New Horizons comes out you mean?

Do you have New Leaf to play?

Yeah, I bought New Leaf for both my bro and I on release date. I bought another later when we found out we could streetpass. Alex's town is Narnia

My old town is called Bromwich
and my other 2DSXL has the new town Azran

Just recently bought Wild World, and even though I love it it feels like it is not a game because it drains my grey brain cells trying to do a part-time job. But I love hanging out with my new Wild World animals. Worth a buy

Yeah, I bought New Leaf for both my bro and I on release date. I bought another later when we found out we could streetpass. Alex's town is Narnia

My old town is called Bromwich
and my other 2DSXL has the new town Azran

Just recently bought Wild World, and even though I love it it feels like it is not a game because it drains my grey brain cells trying to do a part-time job. But I love hanging out with my new Wild World animals. Worth a buy

Unfortunately I deleted my town well over a year ago and sold my 3DS, so I'm currently gameless until I buy a switch when New Horizons comes out.

Bored out of my skull waiting for it though. :(

Unfortunately I deleted my town well over a year ago and sold my 3DS, so I'm currently gameless until I buy a switch when New Horizons comes out.

Bored out of my skull waiting for it though. :(

That does sound a bummer, but I have seen that maybe New Horizons is gonna be a ton more better than New Leaf will ever be! I bet we won't be disappointed. Technically, we are a free-style Sims-style game. Meaning we are jobless, no mayor. Just peaceful life. This new jobs we will be doing it won't feel like an actual job like Wild World put out

I have the Switch Lite and I am so glad I waited for this instead of buying the original one. And it is a good thing you wait before you buy the switch, because sooner or later there might be a console that you might prefer the merchandise of first instead of a plain one (not that I am complaining) just saying

I want to be mayor though. ^_^
I liked having everything under my control.

I really wish we knew more.
Like what buildings will there be?
What PWP's if any?
AHHHH it's doing my head in not knowing. :(

the fact that you have to wait extra time to play if your city has daylight savings is a big slap in the face by the day creators. I know for a fact almost all the cities in my country except mine has daylight savings so they will miss out on play. The only option with that is to not change the time on your switch and just manually know what the time is in your head or on your phone (so technically u would still be time travelling lol, but would get rid of the waiting time if your fine being a few hours behind or ahead). Also the cloud saves do scare me as well, in case the switch carks it or you choose to upgrade to a newer and better switch.

This is why:

Say you get a really rare/valuable item. You upload your save to the cloud. You then go and trade away that item to a friend. Then you reload your cloud save. Ta-da! You both have that item now. Repeat an infinite number of times so that your friend can get infinite Bells and trade it back, or so you can distribute to everyone. Suddenly that item is no longer rare.

The only way to get around it would be to limit the number of times you can download from the cloud (maybe once every month or two), or force the game to overwrite your cloud data any time you connect online. No option would make people happy, so they decided to simply not enable it.

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer there was cloud saving, but I completely understand why they aren't allowing it.

This is why:

Say you get a really rare/valuable item. You upload your save to the cloud. You then go and trade away that item to a friend. Then you reload your cloud save. Ta-da! You both have that item now. Repeat an infinite number of times so that your friend can get infinite Bells and trade it back, or so you can distribute to everyone. Suddenly that item is no longer rare.

The only way to get around it would be to limit the number of times you can download from the cloud (maybe once every month or two), or force the game to overwrite your cloud data any time you connect online. No option would make people happy, so they decided to simply not enable it.

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer there was cloud saving, but I completely understand why they aren't allowing it.

Oh WHAT?

I get that some people would probably do that, but why punish us all? o_O

I wouldn't use cloud saves anyway. I think it's lame that it doesn't save the way games have (usually) saved for as far back as I can remember. On the game cart itself. :(

WHY Nintendo!

Last edited:
The exact reasoning from Higashi Nogami was "to avoid manipulating time, which remains one of the founding concepts of the series." I do not think this is an attack on time travel, but rather item duplication. While I respect the choice to help keep duplication out of the game, I cannot help but feel overwhelmingly helpless when thinking about how to keep my save file safe. A console may last a long time, but it is not going to last forever. Also, if you are interested in looking more into the topic, Justin posted this Animal Crossing World entry about it.

Well nintendo needs to wake up and listen to peoples very valid concerns!

If I lost my save data, I'd be a mess.
It would be the end of Animal Crossing for me. :(

I remember it took two years to get my old New Leaf town looking the way I wanted it, and I think of all that time and effort going into a new game, with no option to restore your game if the switch breaks, and it makes me wonder if I should even bother. :(

limit the number of times you can download from the cloud (maybe once every month or two), or force the game to overwrite your cloud data any time you connect online.

I seriously liked your idea, I don't see why aren't they doing this instead of not enable it completely.

I don't get why I'd have to go online to save a game I'm playing offline. o_O

Don't forget that Save Data Cloud are exclusive to Nintendo Switch Online Membership users. So, you have to be online to use the Save Data Cloud function.

Last edited:
I get that some people would probably do that, but why punish us all? o_O

I wouldn't use cloud saves anyway. I think it's lame that it doesn't save the way games have (usually) saved for as far back as I can remember. On the game cart itself. :(

It doesn't matter if you wouldn't do it. Other people would. And that gives rise to the phrase "This is why we can't have anything nice!" All it takes is one major case of abuse to ruin it for everyone.

You realize you have to be online to save to the cloud, right?

My idea was simply making so if you connect online in NH, it would automatically save to the cloud. This would prevent you from trading an item away and then reloading an old save from the cloud, but then people would get ticked off because it won't be the save they wanted. And my other idea (only downloading once a month or two)... while it would make it too much of a hassle to be exploited, you'd get legit players getting annoyed that they have to wait. If they're extremely careless and broke a second Switch in that time, they'd have to wait another month or two to play their save. Again... NEITHER option would make me people happy.

Any kind of choice they make to allow cloud saving while at the same time preventing cheating would tick people off.

Last edited:
Don't forget that Save Data Cloud are exclusive to Nintendo Switch Online Membership users. So, you have to be online to use the Save Data Cloud function.

Wait, so I have to pay to join an online club to save a game I'll never be playing online, only it doesn't offer cloud saving for it. o_O

And, I never said I wanted cloud saving.
I said I would never use it.

Last edited:
Wait, so I have to pay to join an online club to save a game I'll never be playing online, only it doesn't offer cloud saving for it. o_O

And, I never said I wanted cloud saving.
I said I would never use it.

You seem to misunderstanding things. You can save the game normally to your console using in-game methods or with the auto-save they said they're implementing. You don't have to be online for that. For CLOUD saves you have to be online. That's the case with anything that allows it. The "cloud" is a server separate from your console. Nintendo doesn't allow cloud saving for any game without having their online membership (Sony doesn't either, but Sony's cloud services are better).

Last edited:
You seem to misunderstanding things. You can save the game normally to your console using in-game methods or with the auto-save they said they're implementing. You don't have to be online for that. For CLOUD saves you have to be online. That's the case with anything that allows it. The "cloud" is a server separate from your console. Nintendo doesn't allow cloud saving for any game without having their online membership (Sony doesn't either, but Sony's cloud services are better).

You've misunderstood my posts. :(

I know what cloud saving is. :)
I'm not asking for cloud saving.

I know I don't have to be online to save the game.
I know the game saves to the switch console.

I know all about autosave, and I'm not too happy about that, but that's got nothing to do with this.

I want to be able to save to the game cart itself, but I know that isn't possible.

Nowhere have I said I wanted cloud saving. The opposite, in fact.

John Wick said:

If cloud saving were an option for New Horizons I wouldn't use that option as I wouldn't be paying to join nintendo online just to save a game I play offline. (Obviously, I am aware I'd need to be online to use cloud saving if it were an option. I have used cloud saving to restore old mobile games to new devices in the past.)

That's what my above quote was about. :)

(I am very aware I would need to have a nintendo online account to trade. Not thrilled about that, as I'm not really into online interaction, but I would do it to trade for items .)

Again, I know cloud saving isn't an option, I'm saying if it was, I wouldn't use it.

Have games save the same way a 3DS saves. It's so stupid having data save to a console (in my opinion). Absurd.

Last edited:
Back