• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Which drawing tablet do you use ?

InkFox

Bells
For those of you who own and use a drawing tablet, which one has your preference ?

I've recently been thinking about upgrading my gear, I've been using an old wacom intuos pen & touch for several years now, but I've decided it was time for me to buy a display tablet. I know there are a lot of options out there but I've decided to stick to what I know and have been satisfied with for a long time now, it shall be a wacom tablet. I don't have much money so I was hesitating between the Wacom One and the Cintiq 16, and I just can't decide. Budget wise the wacom one is obviously my favourite haha, but I dunno if I would miss out on much not going for the cintiq 16. From what I know, the screen is bigger, it has a better pen with double the level of pressure sensitivity (but I don't believe it's that noticeable. And anything above the 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity of my actual tablet would already be a big improvement haha) and that's about it so I'm not sure it's worth putting an additional 200€ just for that... I dunno, I've watched a lot of reviews and I just can't decide.
Any opinion ?

Which drawing tablet do you personally use ? Are you satisfied with it ? Why do you like it ? Which one would you like to own ? I'm curious.

I think mine is a Wacom Intuos Draw Creative Pen Tablet CTL490DW. I don't have any idea of one that I'd particularly like to own, I'm just fine with the one I have because I can draw on my computer. It was about $70 when I bought it.

I've never used a display tablet so I can't help you with the choice, but I do want one eventually.
My first tablet i got in 2016 was a huion h610 (cost about 40$). it worked great until this year when i scratched the surface because i forgot to change nibs. i'm now using a wacom intuos pro which works about the same, but just with some added features and drawing feels smoother on it. there's not a huge difference, so i think if i want to get a display tablet, i'll go with huion again since they are so much cheaper than wacom & i'm not using it for professional use

Mine was a Huion model number DWH69, it works fine for me so far for 3 years and I’m ok with it to be honest. I can’t find the actual name and price, but if I do, I might edit this post. Although the pen can be a bit buggy sometimes, it’s an ok tablet so far. In the future though, I’m considering to get a led drawing tablet.

I prefer drawing traditionally but sometimes colour using Procreate on ipad. I used to have the wacom intuos as well but thought it wasn't as good as the ipad

I use a XP-Pen Deco01 V2, which is a drawing tablet with no display. I mainly bought it because it has a very large drawing surface as opposed to the wacom's, and at the time was also relatively cheap. However after using it for a while, i'd definitely say that you don't need as large of a work surface, and could probably get on just fine with some of the smaller sized tablets (although it does fit on my desk rather nicely and definitely makes it a tad bit easier). The pen doesn't feel as smooth as the one on my friend's wacom intuos either, and I find it can be quite hard to draw with before you get used to the high pressure sensitivity. From my small range of experience, i'd recommend maybe just getting a smaller wacom tablet, since it would only cost a little bit more, and you may find it more natural to draw with.

I use a Wacom Intuos CTH480. It's getting kind of old but still does the job! I think in the very near future I'm going to be shopping for a new one. My friends are trying to convince me that an apple pencil/procreate is the way to go but i'm just not convinced yet to make that investment!

I actually use the iPad, now. I love Procreate, and I only got an Apple product for Procreate. Though, now I use my for all of my internet needs. Still, drawing on the iPad has been one heck of a change. A good change. Being able to see where my hand and pen are on the paper is wild with digital work, for me.

Still, when I did use a graphics tablet, it was the wacom bamboo connect (CTL470). It was around 60$ when I got it as a birthday(?) present from my father in...2010 or 11 or 12? Can't remember, but I was in highschool. It was definitely after or near the end of my time on ratemydrawings and before windows 8. I still have it. It is just in its box since I moved recently and haven't needed to use it.

When I did use it, I loved it. I used it with PaintTool SAI (which I didn't officially buy until, idk, 2017, 18 maybe). And, back then it was amazing to me because I was using the mouse to draw. Which, if you don't know, SAI has tools to work with, but imagine how awesome is was to be able to create a smooth curve without having to manipulate a point by point created line with ctrl. Mind blown.

The trouble started to arise when windows updated from 7 to 8 to 10. Every once in a while, the pressure wouldn't register. I even tried updating the drivers, but that didn't help. It seemed to, but just resetting the pc with the tablet plugged in was enough. I can still use it, though. Sure, the original cds don't work on the new windows, but the tablet still functions...enough.

Good luck on your tablet decision! Sorry I couldn't really help ya. I will say, since they're both Wacom, sounds to me you can trust them to be long lasting. I'm a believer of you don't need much to draw. Still, it is nice to have luxury items. Hmm... 400$ vs 650$. All I can see is that the Cintiq is bigger with an optional adjustable stand. The One is lighter, smaller (13.6 by 7.6 to 11.6 by 6.5), and has bonus software if you create a Wacom ID and register your One.

Wacom One Technical Information
Cintiq 16/22 Technical Information

the tablet i use now i got on christmas, and it's a huion hs610. it was not very expensive and it works well! the only problem i have with it is that sometimes i have to restart my computer to get it to connect with the program, but it's not that inconvenient for me and might just be a problem with my own computer. i like it a lot!

I've got a wacom intuos pen and touch, which is pretty nice, but I'd like to get one with a screen some day =w=

Do you have a recommendation for pencils to use with the iPad? I have a very old iPad (got it in... 2011-2012) and procreate was my first ever drawing app, even before my graphics tablet! I used my finger and hated it but you convinced me to try again haha.

Edit: i just checked, and I have a 3rd gen ipad. looks like it's not even compatible with any of the apple pencils? o_O

Last edited:
Do you have a recommendation for pencils to use with the iPad? I have a very old iPad (got it in... 2011-2012) and procreate was my first ever drawing app, even before my graphics tablet! I used my finger and hated it but you convinced me to try again haha.

Edit: i just checked, and I have a 3rd gen ipad. looks like it's not even compatible with any of the apple pencils? o_O
Yeah. Unfortunately, the Apple Pencil only works on gen 6 and up, which sucks in your case. But don't fret! You can still use a regular stylus (just make sure it is pen-like and has some weight in order to simulate the feeling of holding the apple pencil), the only down side will be, just like with a tablet vs mouse, you'll have no pressure control. Still, it will give you a good indication if you'll even enjoy using the app. If you do find that you like it, you can save up and wait till Black Friday to buy the 6th gen ipad and 1st gen pencil. I also recommend some sort of paper-like screen protector if you're okay with that minimal texture feeling (though I enjoy it, I've met many who think it feels gross).
Good luck! I hope you do find that you like it. I've found it so convenient to use my ipad to not only draw, but for everything else. I have barely touched my actual computer at all. It is only for gaming now.

Back