• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

What’s the last book you finished?

I finished The Sea of Monsters (PJO #2) the other day, and I'll probably finish The Titan's Curse within the next week. Let me tell y'all, I am in love with this series SO MUCH. I haven't even reached the books with Solangelo but it's already my entire personality.

The Goodbye Cat by Hiro Arikawa. She also wrote The Traveling Cat Chronicles, which I might read next. I love cats lol.

I'll just sum up all three books I finished reading on January:

I mentioned reading the first book of How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell earlier in another thread at the beginning of the month, and I'm still surprised how quickly of a read it was in comparison to the other two books I'll cover shortly. Perhaps because between the two, one is a fantasy novel for a more adult audience, while the other is a light marine zoology book focused on a particular species of cephalopods. With that said, I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I have a penchant to read it again, and buy Book 2 and read that as well. I might just buy a hardcover for the first one because I prefer books that way.

Two other books came to my house while I was reading HTTYD, and once I was done with that, I went straight into one of them. Rise of the Exile — the first book of the A Shadow of the Tyrant King trilogy of novels by a YouTuber famous for making comedic atheist animations, known as "DarkMatter2525", or JD Matter. Funnily enough, he made these books years before YouTube was even created, but never published them. Now he has two of them published, and are available on Amazon, with the first book being free audibly on his channel. I tuned in every Friday from mid-October, all the way to December 1st (he uploaded ten parts, encompassing five chapters per part, on every Friday). I decided I had to get my hands on a physical copy, and I did. It does start a bit slow at the beginning, as the story explores multiple characters, mainly the protagonist, through their childhoods. By the end, they're adults, yet they've been in many dangerous encounters throughout the story. I can't do it justice; give the first two parts on the playlists a listen and determine if this series is for you.

The Soul of an Octopus by Sy Montgomery was the companion book that came in the same package as Rise of the Exile, and definitely took up most of January, in terms of book reading. I have had a fascination with cephalopods for a good year or two, and I was immediately drawn by the title, because octopuses (NOT octopi) are still somewhat poorly-studied, and in turn, poorly-understood. Criticizing the book for being "light on the science" misunderstands what the very title of the book entails, because many laypeople either don't have an understanding of these molluscs, or don't care to learn about the subtle emotions these creatures have. These books exist to shed light on this, and remind people that animals are more like humans than realized, because humans themselves, are animals. There are so many highlights I could point to, such as how the first octopus, Athena, died before the author could know if she recognized her or not, because octopuses do recognize people: their faces, smell; everything. Octopuses taste things with their arms — NOT "tentacles", but arms. They are fantastic escape artists, and, like their squid and cuttlefish cousins, are masters of camouflage and can change within 200 milliseconds (as fast as a human blinks, basically). Lots of what was stated about the octopus, I knew beforehand, but it doesn't make any of these factoids any less fantastic to read about. The author relays personal experiences she, or her friends at the New England Aquarium have faced, and relates these to octopuses, giving this entire book something of a poetic prose to it. Octopuses truly are amazing creatures.

HTTYD.jpg

Two Books Worth Reading, Too.jpg

I already mentioned the SotT trilogy being two thirds of the way complete:
Two Quests.jpg

And I mentioned I'm buying this book, too:
How to Be a Pirate.jpg

And yet, Sy's has already written another book about the eight-armed cephalopod which is set to release on March 19th of this year, titled Secrets of the Octopus.
Secrets of the Octopus.jpeg

Can't wait to comb through all of these sequels.

Last edited:
I stayed up until 1 am the other night finishing The Battle of the Labyrinth. My sleep schedule is now messed up but it was SO WORTH IT.

Finished Bookshops and Bonedust by Travis Baldree. I didn’t like it as much as the first book, but it was still a fun read.

The last book I finished, I believe was We Could Have Been Friends, My Father and I: A Palestinian Memoir by Raja Shehadeh. It was a good book (just extremely depressing to put it lightly). I kinda wished it was longer at times but it still was interesting since it gave me a little look into the legal approach/mindset of trying to fight illegal settlements. It also gave me a picture of the relationship between the author and his father was, the generation differences and some other experiences (both his and his father’s). The other books I’ve read on Palestine has been more of its history & general and political struggles.

A few months ago I finished "Howl's Moving Castle" by Diana Wynne Jones. TBH I didn't know what was going on while I was reading, but it was pretty great regardless, and there were some funny moments that I enjoyed. (My favorite part was when the characters were trying to use these boots and they teleported all over the place with them.) I'll have to read the book again sometime so I can get a better understanding of it.

I recently finished The Dragon Reborn, the third book in the Wheel of Time series. I'm slowly but surely making my way through the series and enjoying every moment of it.

I finished The Mark of Athena a few days ago and I'm currently about halfway through The House of Hades.

These books are breaking me, man...

I’ve been reading a decent amount of manga lately like Touring After the Apocalypse, Laid-Back Camp and Jojo’s Bizarre Adventures mainly due I’ve a large backlog on things I need to read.

I just finished The Emissary by Yoko Tawada! It was really interesting, though I wish it would've been a bit longer. It had a magical realism feel so I don't think everything was meant to be taken literally or for everything to be summed up nicely in the end but I want more.

I just finished A Business Proposal Volume 1. It's a cutesy romance manwha recommended by one of my coworkers, and I really enjoyed it.

Back