• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Underrated and Overrated Products and Brands

Overrated: Hollister. Like, nope. I think I'll buy my jeggings in a store that doesn't put me in danger of passing out. (Perfume and cologne mixture=lethal.)

I've never been in a Hollister store. Just walking by makes me feel sick because the perfume smell is too strong. But I can't walk in a lot of candle stores for the same reason. I'm a bit sensitive to strong scents.

I'm gonna use the Japan perspective here.

Overrated: AKB48, Girls Generation, AKB48, anything Neon Genesis Evangelion, AKB48, eating KFC food for Christmas, AKB48, Uggs (Japanese women wear these WAY too much)... oh, did I say AKB48?! I'm really sick of every store playing their music, their CDs front and center everywhere, and the AKB48 girls on every commercial, magazine, billboard, etc. -_-

Underrated: Murasaki imo! (Purple sweet potato) SO GOOD. It tastes good with anything on it. <3 This is murasaki imo. It's literally a sweet potato that is purple inside.

tanekoshima-murasaki-imo.jpg

I'm just not into music. I can listen to weeks without it :(

This isn't really a "brand" but more of a franchise, Doctor Who is extremely overrated. It's not horrible, but it's not amazing.
I'm a big fan of Doctor Who, but I much prefer the older stuff-60s to 80s- As DW seems more geared to children since RTD and, sorry about this, all these new American fans are way to obsessive and have kind of spoiled Doctor Who for me, especially since most of them have never watched pre-Eccleston... I still like the new stuff, but Classic 'Who for the win!
Hollister. Very simple clothing and yet so expensive! You can find better clothes, for a better price, elsewhere.
The only time I buy Hollister or Superdry clothes is when I'm going factory shopping, yeah then everything is from the last season but I can get it with about 50%+ off!!

OVERRATED:
Everything Apple, yeah their products are good, but they aren't anything special.

UNDERRATED:
Charity shops, I've found some really cool stuff in some charity shops and the money goes to charity so its a win-win!

Last edited:
Underrated - Farmer Markets that sell fresh, healthier things like fruits and vegetables, and has good service, rather than regular store food that can sit on a shelf forever because it's crap.
Agreed. Processed = cancer(maybe, idk lol, but certainly it can't be good for you in the long-term..?), organic = healthy!!:)

Underrated:
Storebrand products(like OP said). I don't see anything wrong with
Them. Cheap and its well. Food!

Thrift store clothes(like Bambi said). I upcycle so its the perfect
Place for me ti get my supplies to make something ^~^.

OLDER MOVIES!!! People think becaus they are older they aren't
Good!!!
I agree w/ storebrand stuff, it's just as much the same of the name-brand stuff, not a huge difference at any rate. Of course I prefer organic food anyways so....yah. Also, yes I agree...older movies = very underrated...but you know today's teens can't live w/o theyir Michael Bay explosions LOL!!
Overrated: Call of Duty and Jordans

Underrated: I guess thrift store clothing also because today I found a fancy jacket for $10
COD....lol, god I hate that series!!!!! I hate War-type FPS's in general anyways though, give me Serious Sam, Timesplitters, Goldeneye 007, Team Fortress 2, etc. any day of the week over that...also, yes I'm a big thrift store person myself, I get all of pants and jeans from there and a good amount of shirts(though a lot of the awesome psychedelic ones and band ones I'd have to go online for...which comprises a lot of the shirts I get anyways so I guess I don't go there for shirts as much..)
Underrated:
I get
Classic movies, or Criterion releases. I know people around my age would respond with something like:

"Durr, classic movies suck bcus theyre in blacknwhite, and they dont got hot girls stripping down to a bikini hurdurr! Scary Movie is funny bcus it makes fun of the Exorcist!!! Hurdurr! That movie sux!!!!!!! And foreign movies sucks too durrr!! It sux cus its not in Eng'ish hurdurr!"

Overrated:

A lot of the newer movies that teens are into, especially those dumb Adam Sandler movies.
Agree 100%...A lot of the good stuff is from the 80's and earlier....imo.
Overrated:
This isn't really a "brand" but more of a franchise, Doctor Who is extremely overrated. It's not horrible, but it's not amazing.

Underrated:
Nintendo! Since this is an AC forum, I doubt anyone is against my opinion here, as Nintendo is awesome and gets a lot of crap for being aimed towards a younger audience. Their story is such an amazing one (read Super Mario, it's a fantastic book), and they really did start this huge gaming lexicon, but people continue to look down on the games they make sadly.
I'm a big 'Who fan so guilty as charged! XD ..but I definitely agree on the Nintendo thing....almost all of their games are golden!!!!
A lot of the times, store-brand foods are cheaper because they use lower-quality ingredients. No thank you.
Processed food is processed food though....it'a all crap, ingredient-wise anyways...lol Just my 2 cents though. XD
Underrated: Murasaki imo! (Purple sweet potato) SO GOOD. It tastes good with anything on it. <3 This is murasaki imo. It's literally a sweet potato that is purple inside.
View attachment 16791
I'd definitely try it....I like sweet potatoes!:)

I'm a big fan of Doctor Who, but I much prefer the older stuff-60s to 80s- As DW seems more geared to children since RTD and, sorry about this, all these new American fans are way to obsessive and have kind of spoiled Doctor Who for me, especially since most of them have never watched pre-Eccleston... I still like the new stuff, but Classic 'Who for the win!
Guilty as charged, I love Doctor Who, all the modern stuff...but yes I do eventually want to check out the older stuff as well!!!:)

Last edited:
Underrated:

Reese's. I mean, I'm English, so practically no one I know apart from myself knows what Reese's is. I am pretty much obsessed with it. The candy in our country is so underdeveloped. Most towns in the UK won't have an American sweet shop. My local town centre used to have one but it closed down last week. I was devastated.

Overrated:

Hollister. I bought a fleece and tee shirt there because I wanted to xD It was only once but the smell was hideous. As much as I love my hoodie, it was 50 bucks.

Overrated = UGGS.

This! 100000000 times over and over again. UGGS are probably short for UGLY because that is what they are. If you think you look good in UGGS you are flat out lying to yourself! They are NOT pretty or fashionable. They are straight up UGGly.

Underrated: Dove chocolate, Walmart brand sugar free energy drinks, Klean Color nail polish, iPhone cases from Hong Kong that you get off eBay for like 99 cents with free shipping as opposed to paying $40 at Best Buy

Overrated: Pepsi, Samsung, Microsoft, Vitamin Water (lol @ people who think the non "Zero" type is healthy), Chanel, Nike, Kanye West (he isn't a product but whatever)

Underrated: Dove chocolate
I think in the UK Dove chocolate is called Galaxy (As to avoid confusion with the Dove beauty products) and it is in no way underrated here... It's normally the highest priced chocolate but still the one I see people eating in public and people always buy it for me at Christmas...

Underrated: Samsung
Overrated: Apple

I dislike it when people say the above the other way around. Everyone but myself in my family has an iphone, and almost everyone I see in my normal day has one too. Samsung is not nearly as popular (or at least in my area) so how is it overrated?

I dislike it when people say the above the other way around. Everyone but myself in my family has an iphone, and almost everyone I see in my normal day has one too. Samsung is not nearly as popular (or at least in my area) so how is it overrated?

Apparently, that's what I think as well. I like Apple, sure, but I highly prefer Samsung.

Overrated:
What type of phone (Particularly smartphones) that you have. I COMPLETELY understand the overrated apple thing, and agree, but does it really matter what type of smartphone you have? xD They both get the same thing done, (Not entirely, iPhones can't emulate DS games ^^) but in different ways, and they have different looks and feels. Some phones work better for some people, and other phones work better for others. People who get iPhones usually get them because of their familiarity and simplicity, maybe they already have lots of money on their Apple ID account, and already have a lot of apps, some exclusive to iOS. Other people who like android like the customization, the open concept, the extra power, and the SD Card slot for up to 64 GB of more space (At a MUCH cheaper cost) I personally would get an iPhone (If the data plan wasn't so much) Because it just... Works for me. I like the way it works, and I use my 5th generation iPod Touch everyday. Can't get enough of it! I do wish I could use an android phone though for like a week-3 weeks, just to be able to really make it mine. I have never used one for more than 5 minutes at a time, and it was only like in a store, or it was my friends, so I didn't really want to *do* anything on it, I was mostly just flipping page to page, possibly opening an app here and there.

Underrated:
Volleyball. WAY underrated. (Mostly guys volleyball in my school) Everyone says things like "Do you play volleyball (You answer yes) What, are you gay????" It is very annoying. People in my school seem to play basketball not because they like it, but because that is what their friends play. People who play volleyball in my school play it because they found it more fun, not because of anything people said to them.

Last edited:

Samsung is very popular in Asia because it's so cheap there. Personally, I prefer Apple because I find Samsung too complicated. :/

Overrated:
Freaking iPhones- not apple, just iPhones. Everyone has one, and they're so boring and the horrible eye-scarring iOS 7 really puts the cherry on top. I actually love iMacs, but still cannot stand everyone's infatuation with iphones. Ew.
Underrated:
Any smartphone that's not the iPhone.

For what iPhones are, they're pretty cool. Your music all on your phone synced with your iTunes library. I don't think they're boring. That comes down to what you're gonna use it for. Everyone uses it to listen to music and to text and talk, and to also play games and watch movies. I like the quality of the pictures and videos.

I have an android at the moment and after a year of having it, I'd like this phone and the company who made this phone destroyed... because it sucks so much. It's an awful phone with awful service and it offers nothing. Even my sister's Samsung Galaxy and my mom's HTC Evo or whatever that phone is called are awful compared to an iPhone. Listening to music takes up so much battery, but iPhones are great because they're made for that stuff. Androids and all the other phones, to me, are just phones. iPhones are so much more than that.

But that's just me.

Last edited:
For what iPhones are, they're pretty cool. Your music all on your phone synced with your iTunes library. I don't think they're boring. That comes down to what you're gonna use it for. Everyone uses it to listen to music and to text and talk, and to also play games and watch movies. I like the quality of the pictures and videos.

I have an android at the moment and after a year of having it, I'd like this phone and the company who made this phone destroyed... because it sucks so much. It's an awful phone with awful service and it offers nothing. Even my sister's Samsung Galaxy and my mom's HTC Evo or whatever that phone is called are awful compared to an iPhone. Listening to music takes up so much battery, but iPhones are great because they're made for that stuff. Androids and all the other phones, to me, are just phones. iPhones are so much more than that.

But that's just me.

All smartphones have bad battery life, but I see more people complaining about the iPhone battery life than any other. I can usually get about two days from my Galaxy S3 despite it being just over a year old.

I know people are going for the Apple = overrated angle here, but not all their products are. In my opinion the iPod Classic is underrated.

I find FPS games overrated though. I don't mind playing Halo with friends, but I wouldn't go out and buy one of them games.

In my opinion the iPod Classic is underrated.
..Thisthisthis!!! As an audiophile who literally listens to tons of artists and almost all of their discographies at best possible formats, the ipod is the only mp3 player that can accommodate the amount of space I would need to enjoy all my music...at the very least I would need something w/ nothing less than 32 gigs of space!

Back